1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DMN: Cowboys have already met with Alabama OLB Courtney Upshaw at Senior Bowl

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 25, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,038 Messages
    5,526 Likes Received
    ByBrandon George / Reporter

bgeorge@dallasnews.com | Bio

7:28 PM on Tue., Jan. 24, 2012 | Permalink
    MOBILE, Ala. -- One of the first Senior Bowl players the Cowboys met with this week here was Alabama outside linebacker Courtney Upshaw.

Upshaw, who is on the South Team, is projected as a first-round draft pick. Several mock drafts have Upshaw going in the middle of the first round, near where the Cowboys pick at 14th overall in April.

Read the rest: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2012/01/cowboys-have-already-met-with.html
  2. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,644 Messages
    400 Likes Received
  3. hipfake08

hipfake08 Well-Known Member

4,279 Messages
    62 Likes Received
    Smoke Screen.....
  4. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

5,995 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    He is in my short list after ingram.
  5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

76,988 Messages
    2,782 Likes Received
    Same here. I also like DeCastro and Kirkpatrick. I will say the news on Kirkpatrick has cooled me off on him a bit but he is still a guy I would consider
  6. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,689 Messages
    167 Likes Received
    I'm not really thrilled about the prospect of Kirkpatrick or Upshaw at #14.

Mayock says there are 16 legit first-round players. Did he happen to mention who they are?

Luck, Griffin 3, Kalil, Reiff, Martin, DeCastro, Blackmon, Richardson, Claiborne, Coples, Kuechly. That's 11 definites. Who else? Still?
  7. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,715 Messages
    513 Likes Received
    Kirkpatrick and Upshaw are on that list.
  8. marchetta

marchetta Well-Known Member

3,067 Messages
    140 Likes Received
    Yep! ;)
  9. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,056 Messages
    421 Likes Received
    I don't think Mayock has Kirtpatrick graded out as a "first round player" due to the fact he is his 5th rated quarterback.
  10. cbow44

cbow44 Member

596 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Why would the boys want championship caliber players on the team. Just because Kirkpatrick and Upshaw are great talents and know how to win, we should run from them. Let the Ravens or Giants take them.
  11. AmishCowboy

AmishCowboy if you ain't first, you're last

4,344 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    They were saying that Upshaw is like James Harrison on last nite telecast.
  12. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

.......and don't draft him.....and now you say others have compared him to HARRISON....in my mind it's awfully hard to evaluate a kid like this because his teammates were so talented they just overwhelmed teams as a UNIT....sure would help to have a REAL GM right now to make the right decision.
  13. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think Melvin Ingram has the burst the Cowboys need on defense. Ingram has demonstrated the sudden speed and quickness that the Cowboys lack as a whole on defense. Plus, Ingram can play inside on the defensive line in pass rushing situations.

Upshaw is a pure power player, and Dallas needs to get more speed and athleticism on its defense.

I think the Giants would take Ingram over Upshaw, too.
  14. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

5,995 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    Upshaw looks good against the run and diagnosing plays(something Spencer always falters with).Ingram seems like a better pass rusher to me and i will take him ahead of Decastro and Upshaw.
  15. Walker

Walker Texas Ranger

504 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    From what I have read Upshaw is like another Spencer. If that is the case then we should just resign the guy.
  16. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,644 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    yeah lets waste 7+mil a year on a 6 sack a year guy:bang2:

I rather draft someone to replace him at a cheaper price and get a better FA than him. That how jerry been doing business signing mediocre players to big deals, newman, marion barber, marco rivera, leonard davis, ken hamlin, this needs to come to a stop. Just let him go. We need to do better. Plus spencer seems to be a lazy player. We need guys with motors on D. NO more mailing it in.