1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN:Cowboys second-year guard David Arkin hopes to play

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Mr Cowboy, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,156 Messages
    580 Likes Received
    Last year, 34 players were drafted in the fourth round. Only three didn’t appear in a regular-season game in 2011. One of them was Cowboys lineman David Arkin.

Throughout his first NFL campaign, Arkin remained rooted to the sidelines and watched one teammate selected after him, Bill Nagy, start, another who joined the Cowboys as a rookie free agent, Kevin Kowalski, play as a reserve, and two veterans signed off the street, Derrick Dockery and Montrae Holland, leapfrog him on the depth chart.

By the middle of the season, some were wondering if the Cowboys had lost faith in Arkin, a player from a small school, Missouri State, who seemed a bit unpolished and slightly overwhelmed. Team officials, including head coach Jason Garrett, insisted that wasn’t the case.

“We had our eyes wide open as to what his developmental process would be,” Garrett said last October. “The expectations for a guy like that coming from a smaller school is not to jump in there and play immediately.”

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...r-it-feels-i-can-actually-play-football.html/
  2. wittenacious

wittenacious Active Member

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I've said it before, Arkin became a pet cat of mine after the Cowboys drafted him. Once I'd read and watched all I could find out about him, I just loved his attitude; his apparent love of the game and his self-proclaimed love of hitting.

I think we all knew he was going to need to add good weight and improve his skill level. Patience is a virtue, if invested in the right type of player. Hope David is just that, and proves out.
    “We had our eyes wide open as to what his developmental process would be,” Garrett said last October. “The expectations for a guy like that coming from a smaller school is not to jump in there and play immediately.”
    I believe Jason meant exactly what he said and I'm still pulling for DA to make it.
  3. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,273 Likes Received
    I like Arkin much more than Costa, Killer and Nagy. At least Arkin had some room to add weight and gain some power. The smaller three linemen could not move anybody when run blocking and got pushed back pass blocking. I am a fan of power football. That is one of the reasons that I am glad to see the Cowboys getting some size on the interior. It was a mistake playing these midgets to start with.
  4. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,714 Messages
    5,244 Likes Received
    Definitely agree with that.

I haven't completely written off Arkin. I just didn't want to go into this season having to count on him. But that's exactly where we are. Either him or the backup from Carolina.
  5. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,142 Messages
    2,743 Likes Received
    Music to my ears.
  6. Iago33

Iago33 Well-Known Member

1,418 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Or the UDFA Leary?
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,917 Messages
    1,190 Likes Received
    we will see in camp

Until then saying any Lineman has progressed is ridiculous. No one knows until the pads go on

ANd one has to be wary;

this team thought Costus a season was NFL ready after camp
  8. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,315 Messages
    353 Likes Received
    Arkin not unlike the rest of this Oline has yet to reach their ceiling, only the 2nd year together, first Offseason, first full training camp.

How anybody to conceive to write any one of them off is bordering fanatical....oh wait.
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,917 Messages
    1,190 Likes Received

sure you can when they are putrid