1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Dez Bryant: I wasn’t happy about spending $55K on dinner, but now, ‘they’re allowing me

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, May 31, 2014.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

25,071 Messages
    190 Likes Received
    During Dez Bryant’s rookie year, the Dallas Cowboys wide receiver was forced to cover a dinner tab for several teammates at Pappas Bros. Steakhouse. The total came to $55,000.

Bryant, a first-round pick in 2010, signed a five-year, $11.8 million rookie deal with $8.6 million guaranteed. But even with his salary, Bryant doesn’t support that type of rookie hazing.

“The way I look at that is some guys do it just to be [expletive],” Bryant said during a recent taping of FOX Sports 1’s … [visit site to read more]

Continue reading...
  2. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,864 Messages
    3,785 Likes Received
    $55k is a lot of money. I don't care who you are.
  3. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,864 Messages
    3,785 Likes Received
    casmith07 likes this.
  4. Meat-O-Rama

Meat-O-Rama Vegetarians are so stupid.

2,222 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    I have expensive tastes and I can't even imagine what a $55k meal looks like. I mean guys must be just ordering up bottle after bootle of old *** french wine just to be ****s about it....
    casmith07 and BigStar like this.
  5. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

27,831 Messages
    1,364 Likes Received
    I couldn't care less about the $55,000. I'm curious how much was the tip.
    Cebrin likes this.
  6. Meat-O-Rama

Meat-O-Rama Vegetarians are so stupid.

2,222 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    37105 Screaming Eagle (3.0L) Napa Valley 1993 $50,000

That'll do it...
  7. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,748 Messages
    1,318 Likes Received
    I 100% support the notion of proving yourself and earning what you receive. I am also 100% behind the notion that everyone has to continue to prove oneself and no one gets a pass.

OTOH, I hate people that take advantage of young people. RW11 was the main guy that trolled Dez. Considering their relative talent and production levels, Roy had not business being granted that latitude.
    casmith07, BIGDen, BigStar and 5 others like this.
  8. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

11,937 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    I feel him, we need more Bryants on our team.
    djmajestik, BigStar and The Natural like this.
  9. Bill Wooten

Bill Wooten Active Member

627 Messages
    51 Likes Received
    How many is "several"? 55K for dinner is out of this world. I don't think I've ever been in a restaurant that could serve up $55K of food/drink.
    guag likes this.
  10. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,687 Messages
    3,180 Likes Received
    How much did he spend on jewelry?
    Aven8 likes this.
  11. Jerryrage

Jerryrage Active Member

351 Messages
    165 Likes Received
    Nobody was willing to help out with the check at the end of it all. Most of them are no longer on the team. Good riddance to all of them and happy to see that Dez is calling the shots now.
    Vanilla2 and ufcrules1 like this.
  12. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,226 Messages
    1,819 Likes Received
    I'm sure it was big group and the very serious champagne, scotch, or wine were flowing.

That's still insane.
    And Dez is right.
    BigStar likes this.
  13. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,718 Messages
    725 Likes Received
    Don't see why that would be any of your business ;)

From what I remember, people were ordering stuff to take home with them. Which is above and beyond ****** baggery. I really would love to know who the ring leaders were behind that whole escapade.
  14. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,660 Messages
    2,362 Likes Received
    Having a rook carry your pads after practice is reasonable enough for rookie "hazing", though. It's certainly nothing like the insanity of making a guy spend over 50k dollars on a meal. That's just sickening.
    djmajestik, BIGDen and Wheeltax like this.
  15. Nation

Nation Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,221 Messages
    763 Likes Received
    Probably was better off carrying the pads like every freshman or rookie ever.
    theSHOW likes this.
  16. dstovall5

dstovall5 Well-Known Member

2,129 Messages
    1,266 Likes Received
    And that is why athletes go bankrupt serval years after playing(wasting money on dumb stuff), comical. I completely agree with Dez, that type of "hazing" is just completely ridiculous and it's vets purposely taking advantage of rookies. Not cool to mess with another ones money, I know I sure as heck wouldn't be footing the 55k bill.
    Red Dragon and JonJon like this.
  17. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,116 Messages
    1,862 Likes Received
    I read one of the reasons Vince Young has very little of his old rookie contract left is because he was regularly taking his entire OL to Cheesecake Factory.

Just spending ridiculous amounts at Cheesecake Factory.
  18. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,116 Messages
    1,862 Likes Received
    Of course nobody was willing to help. They were present under the assumption that Dez was paying.

It probably wasn't a problem at all until the final tally came, a point at which many had likely already left.
  19. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

4,387 Messages
    1,195 Likes Received
    Dez is a born leader he wasn't carrying that bum Roy Williams pads, he should have slapped the hell out of him too.
    Vanilla2 and rwill784 like this.
  20. theSHOW

theSHOW Well-Known Member

2,745 Messages
    846 Likes Received
    The trade for Roy Williams goes down as the worst trade ever by the organization. And the player was a locker room cancer and no way was the team winning with him in the huddle. He made the other Roy Williams look good somehow.
    BigStar and ufcrules1 like this.