1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Dropped passes continue to plague Cowboys

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Oct 23, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,060 Messages
    3,997 Likes Received
    ByBrandon George / Reporter

bgeorge@dallasnews.com | Bio

9:36 PM on Sun., Oct. 23, 2011 | Permalink

ARLINGTON - The Cowboys dropped five passes Sunday in their victory over St. Louis. They now have 18 drops on the season.

Rookie running back DeMarco Murray, lauded for his pass-catching ability coming out of Oklahoma, had two drops. Wide receiver Dez Bryant had back-to-back drops near the end zone late in the second quarter that could have turned into a touchdown. Even veteran tight end Jason Witten dropped a pass from Tony Romo against St. Louis.

Read the rest: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/10/dropped-passes-continue-to-pla.html
  2. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Only when Bennett or Ogletree drop a pass will Cowboy fans get enraged.
  3. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    Check the game thread. Dez dropped that one and people were mad.

Sorry to over rule your theory with a fact, but they were.
  4. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    There is still a lot of work to be done...
  5. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Right, and were they crying out for Dez to get cut?

Thanks.
  6. JerryFan

JerryFan Active Member

1,243 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    LOL. Well I'd say the situation is a little bit different. I liked O-tree as much as anybody but they guy is a 4th or 5th WR compared to one of the most talented guys in the league. It's almost comparable.
  7. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,011 Messages
    2,416 Likes Received
    Yeah except people want Bennett and Ogletree cut for a multitude of reasons, not dropping 1 pass.
  8. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yes, and I'm sure those "multitude of reasons" are all well-reasoned, thought out and legit. C'mon man.
  9. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,011 Messages
    2,416 Likes Received
    Lack of focus, not knowing the offense, lack of preparedness, multiple dropped passes...

Yeah. Pretty legitimate.
  10. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,814 Messages
    1,239 Likes Received
    I could only half-watch the game because of travel and work. Didn't realize that all those incompletions were drops. Romo has a much better game, statistically, if they hold on to the ball. And if Dez's would have been TDs, he's got 3 and has a monster week.

Not to turn this into a defend Romo thread, but it's just another example of Tony getting very little help from any of his teammates.
  11. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,602 Messages
    439 Likes Received
    It was a really weird game. Only four guys caught passes - the three top receivers and Witten. I don't know if I've ever seen that - no catches by the RBs, nothing to another tight end.

It does put an (ever-so-slight) damper on Murray's performance that he dropped the only two passes sent his way. A running back has to be a halfway decent receiver to be effective - I hope this was an anomaly.
  12. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,584 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    I hope so too, and I believe it is. Pass catching was rated as one of his strengths in college.
  13. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,814 Messages
    1,239 Likes Received
    He did drop what might have been a TD against the Pats too though.
  14. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Nope.

Ogletree has come up with crucial catches in more than a couple games. Bennett, underachiever or not, is a big part of our run game. Fortunately the Cowboys' front office and coaching staff isn't suaded by myopic perspective and kneejerk player analysis as you are.

Then again, none of that should be a surprise to me coming from the guy that thinks Chris Johnson's career is over at the ripe age of 26.
  15. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You aren't exactly comparing apples to apples realtick. Dez, Austin and expecially Witten are the established players who have enough catches and big plays under their belts that a drop or two, although frustrating, naturally wouldn't result in cries for their head. On the other hand Ogletree and Bennett have not yet earned that kind of consideration.
  16. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,817 Messages
    701 Likes Received
    I think this is the case especially with Witten and Austin.

When you make enough big time plays and play consistently for a long enough time then you get forgiven for a play or two here and there.

Bennett and O-Tree have yet to do that. Maybe they will at some point (Although I do think Bennett's blocking in the run game is overlooked in a big way) but as of now when those guys screw up they're going to get called on the carpet for it far more than guys who've made a lot more good plays than bad.
  17. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well, the point is they are all football players, human beings and thus fallible.

Guys like Ogletree don't get anywhere near the opportunities nor the reps to cover up and make people forget the mistakes they do make. Nobody is comparing Ogletree to Dez or Miles in terms of talent, but I am pointing out those guys make mistakes too.

People way too easily go into the canned "well, Miles makes plays[...]" which is true, but Miles also drops passes....ie...makes mistakes. I expect young inexperienced players to make mistakes.

I'm not even a big Ogletree guy, but it's amazing to see this guy provide huge clutch plays against the Redskins and the 49ers and get nary an acknowledgment by fans. Yet, as soon as he drops a pass or has to be told where to line up and you instantly have 10 different threads asking when he'll get cut.
  18. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Of course everyone makes mistakes, but the reality is every unproven player has to compete to even make the team, and once they make the tam they have to compete for playing time as well as to stay on the team. It's only natural that the proven player is going to get the benefit of the doubt when he nmakes a mistake because he has already proven the mistakes are minor compared to his production, whereas the unproven player has no such support behind him. This isn't little league where everyone is guaranteed to make the team and get playing time. It can be tough to break out, and an unproven player has to take advantage of every opportunity to earn the benefit of the doubt for himself.

If you were going to hire a salesman for your company would you hire the one that has a history of making big sales 10-11 months a year and only has an off month 1-2 times a year, or one that ocassionally has a big sale but hasn't established any track record of being able to do that consistently?
  19. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well, I think we're talking about two different things. One, fans' perception. And two, the coaches/front office view.

I think by their very existence on the roster (speaking of Bennett and Ogletree), the Cowboys, at least for the short-term have confidence in their ability which justifies their roster spots. This came up when Dwayne Harris was cut, but I definitely would take Ogletree over Harris at this point. Yet we had fans lamenting about the rational behind keeping Ogletree over a Harris.

Conversely, we have fans that literally want Ogletree and Bennett cut yesterday.
  20. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree that there is a difference between fan perception and the coaches/front office view, but the same principle applies to both that a guy with an established track record is going to get (and should get) some latitude when he makes a mistake, and a guy who has not built a track record is not going to have the same luxury.

I do agree that it's ridiculous for people to start screaming for their heads though, but I will also say that neither Ogletree or Bennett are rookies or guys showing inconsistency for the first time. I think what stirs people up with both is that people built up big expectations for both and are frustrated that neither is reaching the level they expected. Fans need to realize that failing to reach expectations does not make a player worthless to the team. They may just have value filling a somewhat lesser role than people felt they could.