1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Expectations With a Dose of Realism

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Hostile, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,126 Messages
    3,204 Likes Received
    Cowboys balance expectations with dose of realism

09:45 PM CDT on Friday, July 30, 2004

By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News

OXNARD, Calif. – The message from owner Jerry Jones and coach Bill Parcells at Friday's state-of-the-Cowboys address at training camp was clear: Last year's success guarantees nothing.

Jones sees a difficult road schedule and improved rosters in Philadelphia and Washington, and he knows winning 10 games provides an immense challenge.

Translation: The playoffs are anything but a given.

"With what we're facing in the division, it's a reach to be enthusiastic about notching 10 wins," Jones said. "I think we're a better team, and I would hope we win enough games make the playoffs."

Parcells is only concerned about getting his team to play to its potential, which is his annual goal.

So he doesn't obsess about wins and losses.

"I'm not into prognostication," he said. "I am my own severest critic. I should know what I have and if it plays to the level I think it should play to, then I'm happy regardless of the level.

"Each year is a new year. You never really know whether the things you put together on paper are going to result in a better operation. I share Jerry's enthusiasm and I am eager and determined to take this thing forward as best I can."

Now, don't assume that Jones and Parcells are pessimistic about the season. They're simply realistic.

This is still a roster with questions ranging from whether quarterback Quincy Carter will seize control of the position to whether Larry Allen will play more like a future Hall of Famer or an undrafted free agent.

The future excites Jones and Parcells.

They want to build a team that can win for years – not just a year or two.

"I would ask you to look at how the events since training camp started last year – what we've done in personnel, what we've done as an organization – and I would hope that you would agree with me that we have had a change in philosophy," Jones said. "We've certainly tried to get better for the present, but we're also building for the future as it relates to personnel decisions."

That's why the Cowboys passed on high-priced cornerbacks such as free agent Antoine Winfield, who signed a multiyear deal worth more than $35 million with the Minnesota Vikings and veterans such as Bobby Taylor, who represented an injury risk.

The Cowboys have about $7 million under the salary cap, giving them the financial flexibility to add veterans to the roster as they become available.

"Our salary-cap situation is the best we've had since the collective bargaining agreement was put in place 10 years ago," Jones said.

So when an opportunity to add Eddie George arrived last week, the Cowboys pounced.

"I'm happy about the fact that our money management situation is allowing us to continue do things of the nature of Eddie George and things like that that become available," Parcells said. "That's only because we made some prudent decisions earlier on that enabled us to accumulate the resources that continue to give us options."

Dallas added 12 players through free agency after training camp began last season.

Parcells is fond of saying the Cowboys will be diligent about improving every player on the roster and creating fierce competition at every position.

This is still a team learning to win.

Safety Darren Woodson, who's expected to miss six to eight weeks after surgery to repair a degenerative disk in his back, is the only player remaining from the teams that earned three Super Bowls in the '90s. Allen is the only player to have won a playoff game wearing a blue star on the side of a silver helmet.

The Cowboys have not won a playoff game since 1996.

Last season, Dallas went 10-6 and made the playoffs for the first time since 1999 before losing to Carolina.

Historically, though, Parcells teams always improve in his second season. He's never had a team that didn't make the playoffs in his second season.

"You get better players after your first year. They know your system. They know what you want. You're not having to waste a lot of time teaching them ... you're just further down the road," Parcells said. "That doesn't mean you're going to win. Things happen every year. That's why it's a humbling, challenging game."

E-mail jjtaylor@dallasnews.com
  2. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,699 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received

8-8.

:D
  3. Sarge

Sarge Happy Holidays Staff Member

21,116 Messages
    1,971 Likes Received
    9-7

;)
  4. LaTunaNostra

LaTunaNostra He Made the Difference

14,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    ...12-4....

(just came from extremeskins) ;)
  5. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    "The Cowboys have about $7 million under the salary cap, giving them the financial flexibility to add veterans to the roster as they become available. "

11-5
  6. Ben_n_austin111

Ben_n_austin111 Benched

734 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If we use that to bolster up the Oline I think we can pull of a 11-5 season.

Remember, BNA was one of the few who predicted playoffs for the Cowboys last year.
  7. Sarge

21,116 Messages
    1,971 Likes Received
    ..................he's BAAAAAAAACK.

;)
  8. Ben_n_austin111

Ben_n_austin111 Benched

734 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    How's it goin' Sarge.

Man, I've been "out of the loop" for a while. I just found out Willie Blade is gone. What else has been happening with the Cowboys?

:D
  9. BHendri5

BHendri5 Well-Known Member

3,268 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    13-3, whatever it ends up being, it will be better than 10-6
  10. Cheap Shot Artist

Cheap Shot Artist Benched

981 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Im with Sarge..

8-8 if the ball bounces differently
  11. Sarge

21,116 Messages
    1,971 Likes Received
    Nice to have ya around Ben.

Just to update ya, in our youth movement, we grabbed Fran Tarkenton to back up Testaverde and Emerson Boozer to back up Eddie George.

;)

Post more.
  12. Ben_n_austin111

Ben_n_austin111 Benched

734 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I guess I never got the memo on that one. I bet Quincy is pissed.
  13. Sarge

21,116 Messages
    1,971 Likes Received
    .................. ;)
  14. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,468 Messages
    2,324 Likes Received
    If JJT is writing the article, then how does realism become involved?
  15. MichaelWinicki

32,699 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received

Nice to see you posting BNA!
  16. Sarge

21,116 Messages
    1,971 Likes Received
    Good to have some 'oldtimers' around isn't it?
  17. MichaelWinicki

32,699 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    Yeah, I would love to see a post from Booze or EZ22 or Bob Roberts sometime. I am pleased David is back on the board.
  18. Sarge

21,116 Messages
    1,971 Likes Received
    Booze especially......
  19. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hahaha, the eternal optimist, I like that.

Hey CNI, we need to discuss making a friendly wager or something. I think the boys are gonna finish around the 7-9/8-8 range :). Of course, we both have discussed our opposing viewpoints, so since the season is just around the corner, we should put our money where our mouth is :D .

As a matter of fact, I think alot of us should come up with some stupid wagers just for grins.

- Mike G.