1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Garrett: I’m not concerned with perception; ‘I know what I do each and every day

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jun 5, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,079 Messages
    5,593 Likes Received
    By Jon Machota / Special Contributor
    jmachota@dallasnews.com
    5:06 pm on June 4, 2013 | Permalink

The perception is that the Cowboys owner and general manager is taking authority away from head coach Jason Garrett.

Many coaches would be concerned if it appeared like they were losing overall control of their team. But Garrett said he’s not worried about perception.

“Because I know what I do each and every day in regards to this football team,” Garrett said Tuesday. “And I know how [Jones] and I work together and how this organization works, and how well we work together and how well we communicate and how we come to decisions. I know what I do when I get up in the morning and come over here and coach this football team.”

Garrett added: “Doing my job to the best of my ability matters the most. My job is to try to create an environment for everybody in this building, on this football team, players and coaches, to be put in the best position possible to be their best.

Read the rest: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...ion-i-know-what-i-do-each-and-every-day.html/
  2. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,893 Messages
    2,138 Likes Received
    I'm amazed Garrett has been able to keep his cool, with media types always nipping at his heels and taking very chance possible to make a mountain our of a molehill.

A lot of Head Coaches are not the primary play callers. This could be a good thing for him and the team.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,070 Messages
    2,858 Likes Received
    Winning and losing is all that matters, People have their own vision of how things work yet none are there to see how things actually operate. You will not change people’s mindset. Those who feel as if Garrett is some kind of puppet will continue to make those claims despite the fact it is their own perception not necessarily reality.

One thing for sure winning cures what ills you.
  4. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,194 Messages
    1,542 Likes Received
    If its true that the playcalling decision was made weeks ago, then he definitely, 100% cares about public perception.
  5. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

2,810 Messages
    845 Likes Received
    I don't think so. But thats just me. Because I could also care less about what others think. Those are things you can't control. However, you can control what you do for a living - like working and personal life.

If Garrett is so concerned about perception he would probably Google his name and it would lead to to this board - who have nothing but bad things to say about him. I doubt he has the time on such wasteful activities. He has a football team to run and make it better, so that the owner don't can him.
  6. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,194 Messages
    1,542 Likes Received
    "People who say they don't care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don't care what people think." - George Carlin

If he's not concerned, why wouldn't he just answered the question originally, rather than just let it simmer, if the answer was already known? That just seems dumb to me.
  7. Doomsday101

77,070 Messages
    2,858 Likes Received
    George Carlin is a comedian not one of the great minds of our times. :lmao:
    Always find it funny when people throw out some idiots name out there as if, well he said it so it means something. Carlin had enough personal issues of his own not a person I would go to for advice.

Garrett has been around this game long enough to know he will be question he will be doubted until he proves otherwise. I doubt he gets bogged down on other people’s opinion especially when so many have different opinions out there.

As for not answering the question? To whom those who do not play on this team have no part in this team? He is responsible to the players not the media and the pin head fans who are going to whine no matter what Garrett does.
  8. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    :hammernail:
  9. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,194 Messages
    1,542 Likes Received
    Relax fella, it was just a joke. Guess I forgot the smiley face at the end.
  10. Doomsday101

77,070 Messages
    2,858 Likes Received
    I'm relaxed and find most of this pretty funny.
  11. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,591 Messages
    531 Likes Received
    "And I know how [Jones] and I work together and how this organization works, and how well we work together and how well we communicate and how we come to decisions."
  12. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,699 Messages
    679 Likes Received
    It's not about public perception. He doesn't care how the public perceives his situation from a "power" perspective.

I think as much as anybody, he understands how everything associated with the Dallas Cowboys is blown out of proportion. After word got out yesterday, ESPN had it on top of their NFL page, 3 stories above the Deacon Jones story. When Andy Reid gave up playcalling to Morningwegh 2 years ago, was it that big a deal? Not really. But in Dallas, it's huge news.

In his PC yesterday, Garrett talked about the most important thing in June was the OTA's. He also emphasized that he doesn't want to give anything away to any other team in terms of possible competetive advantage. He said they're always looking ahead to see who's calling the plays, how they're calling the plays, etc. By confirming during the offseason who is calling the plays, and what kind of offense we'd be running, it gives our opponents time to adjust, based on how Callahan has called plays in the past.

Whether you buy that or not is of course up to you. But in listening to his explanation, it's about competetive advantage, and has little if nothing to do with public perception. He knows the situation he's in, and what people will say. I imagine having played here, and seeing what went on with Jerry and Jimmy, he's understood it for a long time.

Many people seem to think he's this insecure, fragile-ego puppet. IMO, he has a lot more backbone than some give him credit for.
  13. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

11,876 Messages
    1,938 Likes Received
    Politican if I've ever seen one.. Loves to subtely point fingers at others for mistakes, but when poop hits the fan for himself, suddenly it's about 'we'. Even last year, he was hiding behind the image of Tony Romo as a guy he doesn't take care of the ball and taking credit for wins by saying Tony played "within" the play-calling.

Garrett wasn't a puppet. Garrett has become a puppet because of his own coaching. Part of the fact he is still here is because Jerry invested a lot in creating a cult of Jason Garrett. Brian Stewart tells us if it was anybody other than Garrett, JG would have been canned at most, this year.
  14. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    :hammernail: x2
  15. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,588 Messages
    797 Likes Received
    The Dan Patrick Show has already claimed that Garrett is a "lame duck" coach, and that things in Dallas are not good. :rolleyes:
  16. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,588 Messages
    797 Likes Received
    Wow. That is a creative spin. Garrett will succeed, and you will have to succumb to being a Cowboys'/Garrett fan. ;)
  17. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,497 Messages
    6,222 Likes Received
    Weird take.

Garrett's nothing if not consistent, win, lose, draw. He's always saying the same things. He even mentions in his press conferences that the press probably gets sick of hearing him say the same things all the time, but it's what he believes in.
  18. khiladi

11,876 Messages
    1,938 Likes Received
    Good if "Garrett" succeeds this year, but it won't be because of Garrett. It will be, because of the fact he was demoted and Jerry Jones did what was right and removed this incompetent play-caller from where he can hurt the team.
  19. khiladi

11,876 Messages
    1,938 Likes Received
    Ironic, JG is now getting blamed because of his press conferences. Please spare me the tired act of trying to find some silver lining to this dark cloud that is JG, considering the Dallas media sucked and sucks his PC all up as an example of his eloquence and leadership. I especially love how Wade got hammered for his media 'incompetence' during those days, while JG was and is seen as a true leader based upon these PCs.

People are beginning to not like his press conferences because they aren't buying his politician speak anymore and see through his BS.
  20. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,497 Messages
    6,222 Likes Received
    Garrett's getting blamed because Jerry shot his mouth off? I don't think so. Maybe by some of our fans, but not by anybody whose opinion counts. What I've heard from Sham and the Talking Cowboys group was very complimentary of how JG handled that situation.

And most fans don't like his pressers, because he doesn't hand out much red meat. Newsflash: his job is not to hand out red meat at press conferences.