1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Gosselin: Calvin Johnson has more physical gifts than Dez Bryant

Discussion in 'Newsfeed Zone' started by NewsBot, Oct 29, 2013.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

26,888 Messages
    201 Likes Received
    Columnist Rick Gosselin held a chat on Monday. Here are highlights from the chat.

Question: Hey Rick Calvin seems to be doubled quite a bit in the games he plays. Do the Cowboys need an equalizer on the other side for Dez to be truly an elite receiver

Gosselin: A healthy Austin makes a difference because then the Cowboys have three receivers who can burn you -- Bryant, Witten and Austin. The Lions doubled Bryant on just about every play and doubled Witten on third downs. They forced Romo to go to the rookie Williams -- and he caught only two of the 10 passes thrown his way. Austin could make a difference. But when is he ever healthy? And he's certainly not worth the money they are paying him. The Lions can throw into double coverage to Johnson because he's 6-5 with a 40-inch vertical jump. He can snag the high passes no matter how many defenders are around him. Dez is only 6-2. Johnson also can run away from double-teams with his 4.3 speed. Dez runs in the 4.5s. Dez creates his space with a body and a physical style, much like Michael irvin did. Dez and Johnson are two different types of receivers and Johnson has more physical gifts.

Continue reading...
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2013
  2. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,899 Messages
    1,293 Likes Received
    I didn't even read the article, but no, he doesn't. The only thing holding Dez back from being the best receiver in the NFL is the fact that they don't throw him the freaking football.
  3. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,405 Messages
    1,320 Likes Received
    Dez has only been targeted 2 times fewer (77 times) than Megatron (79 targets).

I'm perfectly fine accepting that Dez is the 2nd most gifted WR in the NFL behind Megatron -- no shame in that.
    pancakeman and Sarge like this.
  4. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,095 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    Anybody with a healthy pair of eyes can see Megatron is more " gifted " than Dez. To Megatron's credit, he's maximizing those gifts too, which is why he's the best in the league. Having said that, Herman Moore was more " gifted " than Jerry Rice. So were dozens and dozens and dozens of other receivers.. That didn't mean Jerry Rice wasn't the best ever, because he was. Being " gifted " doesn't mean a whole lot when you don't take full advantage of them.
    perrykemp likes this.
  5. perrykemp

5,405 Messages
    1,320 Likes Received
    Agree with everyone you said.
  6. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

3,758 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    CJ is taller but beyond that he is not better. He runs slow after the catch, if he played as fast as he is supposed to be the game on sunday would never been in question.
  7. Hook'em#11

Hook'em#11 Well-Known Member

2,627 Messages
    186 Likes Received
    No, Johnson just has a coach and a QB that believe in him more and trust him.
  8. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,278 Messages
    326 Likes Received

Bryant never would have been caught on that long pass the way Johnson was
    ringmaster likes this.
  9. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,651 Messages
    1,145 Likes Received
    Johnson has lost quite a bit of speed. Because of this, I really do have a hard time saying he's that much more physically gifted than Bryant.

Bigger. Stronger. Can jump higher, but he is slower. He wasn't at one time.
  10. dstovall5

dstovall5 Well-Known Member

2,358 Messages
    1,453 Likes Received
    To say Johnson is slower is laughable. Calvin Johnson still has a step on Bryant in the speed category, that's one of the reasons why you see CJ get wide open A LOT more then Bryant. Dez really doesn't have that break away speed, he needs time for the play to develop so he can get separation, with CJ he doesn't need nearly as much time.
  11. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,767 Messages
    1,607 Likes Received
    Dez might very well be my favorite player on the team, but he is NOT better than Calvin Johnson.
  12. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,899 Messages
    1,293 Likes Received
    As a polished WR, no, he's not. But from a purely physical standpoint, I honestly don't think Calvin is better. I really don't. Dez doesn't get nearly as many opportunities to make those breathtaking plays because Romo is a headier QB than Stafford, but just look at the two TDs he had against DET....I dont think you can make two better plays as a WR.
  13. perrykemp

5,405 Messages
    1,320 Likes Received
    or he is just not fully recovered from the knee injury that kept out the Packers game three weeks ago.
  14. Ntegrase96

2,651 Messages
    1,145 Likes Received
    No. He gets separation because he is moved around the field and runs different routes. He was wide open on Sunday because we let him run freely off the line.
  15. Ntegrase96

2,651 Messages
    1,145 Likes Received
    That's true. Didn't think of that.