1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN:If Jerry Jones believes in Jason Garrett, he should give him a contract extension

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 5, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,090 Messages
    5,648 Likes Received
    By Jon Machota / Special Contributor
    jmachota@dallasnews.com
    12:22 pm on February 5, 2013 | Permalink

Forty-nine years ago today, Clint Murchison Jr. proved how much faith he had in a Dallas Cowboys head coach despite a poor overall record. The Cowboys owner gave Tom Landry, who had posted a 9-38-3 record during the previous four seasons, a 10-year contract extension.

Throughout the coaching staff changes that have taken place over the last month, Jones has praised the foundation that Garrett has built over the past two and a half seasons as head coach, saying things like: “I’m excited. Boy, we’ve got a good man in Jason Garrett putting this together for us.”

On the day Murchison announced Landry’s new deal, the Cowboys owner said: “This is in line with my philosophy that once you get a good man, hold on to him.”

If Jones believes what he says, that he has a “good man” and the “right man,” then he should lock Garrett up for the foreseeable future. A move like that would show that Garrett is in charge and Jon Gruden isn’t walking through the Valley Ranch doors as anything more than a TV analyst.

Read more: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...he-should-give-him-a-contract-extension.html/
  2. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,593 Messages
    3,857 Likes Received
    Apples and oranges. Not the same league now.
  3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,481 Messages
    8,381 Likes Received
    I would love it just for the comedic value of the posts here.
  4. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    It could happen. Coach Jones might want to lock up his homegrown and comfortable offensive coordinator.
  5. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

5,826 Messages
    1,874 Likes Received
    Good Lord no.
  6. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Jones told the players that Wade was a good man and coach as he was firing him. Nobody knows if Jerry really believes in Garrett, including Jerry. If the team drops the first couple of games next season, Jerry's opinion will change if he really is sold on Garrett as much as he says. He can't help it.
  7. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,945 Messages
    673 Likes Received
    Agree. I hate the comparison and it is always used. Back then you had guys that went from players, to assts to coaches. The Cowboys were an expansion like team and back there were less teams, less known quantities coaching football, etc. A lot has evolved since then....money, scheme, set up, parity, etc.
  8. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    What does it matter? Like Jerry won't fire him if he's sucking with a couple extra years on the contract?
  9. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,000 Messages
    1,755 Likes Received
    Sure, let Jerry keep compounding his mistakes. Garrett is a questionable, mediocre coach at this time so it only makes sense to throw more money at him and lock him up for the next 7 years. :thumbdo:

I like the fact he is on the hot seat and should stay that way throughout the 2013 season, always be looking over his shoulder. That might force him to take a look in the mirror and change some things in his schemes and pay more attention to clock management.

I never like his hire from day one, thought he was not ready, especially for this storied franchise. Saying that, if this team turns it around and makes a serious run in the playoffs, I will support him over the long haul.

Another 8-8 season and I will be leading the pitchfork crowd :D
  10. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,119 Messages
    2,928 Likes Received
    If Garrett gets any extention it will only happen after next year should this team show big improvment and advances in post season. I hope Garrett can get this team over the hump and earn himself a longterm contract. Beats the hell out of musical coaches. If this team fails again next season then I think Garrett will be out of Dallas.
  11. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,941 Messages
    1,244 Likes Received
    For those wanting to get rid of Garrrett, or think he only has 2013 to prove himself, ... who would/should/could we get that would measure up to Landry, Johnson, ... or measure up to be worthy to be called coach of this storied franchise ?

Dead serious, ... what name besides the old "has-beens" being tossed around?

This is not a vote of confidence for JG, because I've got my eye of uncertainty on him.

Who?
  12. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,119 Messages
    2,928 Likes Received

I like Garrett I hope he has success but my own feelings are he will have to show major improvement on this team or else the search for a new HC will take place.

As for who would the Cowboys get I would think they would bring in a series of candidates OC or DC. Who knows a coach who is looking to return to the sidelines.

Again I hope Garrett gets it done but you don't keep a coach because you don't know who you may hire to replace him.
  13. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Well first, what is wrong with a "has been"... Someone I would call experienced. ;) I don't see why this team that makes more money than any other team in American sports should be experimenting with inexperienced projects.

And I also don't see why he would have to measure up to Landry or Johnson, two of the best coaches ever. We simply need to get the best coach available.

But if you insist on a younger guy who could be around for a long time, what about David Shaw? Or Kevin Sumlin, if you think he can be (and wants to be) an NFL coach?
  14. Rogerthat12

Rogerthat12 DWAREZ

3,648 Messages
    200 Likes Received
    Not the same guy either!:eek:
  15. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,090 Messages
    5,648 Likes Received
    The issue I see is that while Jerry performed one of the most thorough coaching searches I'd seen prior to Chicago's search who I think brought in everyone who even sniffed the NFL, we still ended up with Wade Phillips.

If Garrett is fired, I really have no idea of what Jerry would be looking in a coach.
  16. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,290 Messages
    905 Likes Received
    This would be another stupid move by Jerry no different then what he has done for his players throughout the years, extending them based on past production. At least the players he's done that for produced where JG hasn't as of yet.

Does he deserve it? No....at least not yet.
  17. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,794 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    That is what I have been saying all along. It's not so much that I think Garrett is the answer, but rather I'm worried about what so-called "answer" Jerry would bring in. Everyone assumes it will be Gruden or some other popular coach, but let's not forget that's it is Jerry who would make that decision :)

/reality
  18. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,794 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    I see absolutely no reason why Jerry should extend Garrett right now. Garrett is under contract and has yet to prove himself worthy of a longer commitment. I really hope he succeeds, but with him still under contract, there is no need to worry about him beyond next season at least until he generates results.

/reality
  19. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,593 Messages
    3,857 Likes Received
    I agree. Garrett has to improve this team and likely that means significant improvement esp the record. He's got a one year contract.
  20. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,464 Messages
    398 Likes Received
    It is a good idea to extend RedJ with all the uncertainty surrounding the Head Coaching position, i.e. the chain of command for the Dallas Cowboys.