1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Jason Garrett: Kyle Wilber will be slotted at defensive end

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Apr 26, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,524 Messages
    3,364 Likes Received
    By Rainer Sabin / Reporter
    rsabin@dallasnews.com

Head coach Jason Garrett said that Wilber wouldn’t be deployed at linebacker, but rather at defensive end.

“The easiest transition is going to be to have that hand down and be that pass rusher as opposed to be an off-the-ball linebacker,” Garrett said. “We’ll see how he adjusts to it.”

Last season, Wilber played only 16 defensive snaps as an outside linebacker. But he has experience at a defensive end, a role he served in early in his college career at Wake Forest.

“I think his size is OK,” Garrett said. “The traits that you want in your defensive linemen in this style of defense is quickness and speed. So Kyle needs to get bigger. But we have got to be careful about him getting too big. We still want him have some juice coming off the ball as a pass rusher.”

Read the rest: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...wilber-will-be-slotted-at-defensive-end.html/
  2. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,279 Messages
    2,838 Likes Received
    Gotta bad feeling he just won't ever fit his niche and will be gone in a couple of years without much to show for his time here.
  3. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,777 Messages
    116 Likes Received

I think there are a lot of our players that can transition to the new 4-3. Wilbur's probably the guy that I have the most questions about. I'm just not sure he's a good fit for the new defense.
  4. fivetwos

fivetwos Member

119 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I could swear it wasn't long ago that Stephen Jones said it was time for Wilber to "step up" and take the OLB spot opposite Carter.

These guys speak to each other at all in that front office?
  5. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

8,111 Messages
    741 Likes Received
    Anyone who thought Wilber or Albright would be in the running at linebacker were simply fooling themselves.

Wilber comes in at 249 lbs, he will likely have to get up to 260-265. I wouldn't have extremely high hopes for the kid. He doesn't really fit our scheme at all. I don't think he really fit last year either.
  6. fivetwos

fivetwos Member

119 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That could be and I wouldn't argue against it.

The fact that Jones happened to be the guy that was fooling himself in this case is alarming to me.
  7. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,089 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    I don't think he'll be a fit...wasn't he an LB all throughout college? He was a 3-4 OLB prospect, now that we're 4-3 he's out of luck. Maybe he can contribute on special teams
  8. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,947 Messages
    425 Likes Received
    Wow... I hope he doesn't become ANOTHER wasted mid round pick...
  9. Tobal

Tobal Well-Known Member

1,981 Messages
    60 Likes Received
    He was a DE in college and Garrett said they don't want him to get to big..... so why do we think he can't transition?
  10. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 RAWR

11,962 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    If he can be quick at 265 then he might just be a situational player and a career backup...
  11. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

4,810 Messages
    599 Likes Received
    He was a DE first two years then when Wake Forest went to the 3-4, he was converted to a 3-4 OLB.
  12. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

8,111 Messages
    741 Likes Received
    Not a great pass rusher, and he almost certainly is going to struggle against the run going directly up against tackles...

I mean, I don't know how anyone would figure he would somehow be a great fit.
  13. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,241 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    looks like last effort on Dallas part until they raise white flag on that pick.