1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Jason Garrett on Anthony Spencer: "He's among the better OLB in 3-4 defense"

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Mar 6, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,119 Messages
    6,907 Likes Received
    ByDavid Moore / Reporter
    dmoore@dallasnews.com | Bio

11:40 PM on Mon., Mar. 5, 2012 | Permalink

Head coach Jason Garrett spoke about the Cowboys decision to use the franchise tag on Anthony Spencer.

"The franchise tag is one of the ways teams can try to keep their really good players,'' Garrett said. "Spence is a guy who has played really well for us and is the right kind of guy. He's been a very productive player for us.

"A lot of people get caught up in he only had six sacks. I think if you look at his total production, how he's effected quarterbacks, how he's effected games, tackles for loss, hurries, tackles, all of that stuff, he's really been a strong contributor to our football team.

Read the rest: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2012/03/cowboys-jason-garrett-on-antho.html
  2. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,389 Messages
    3,727 Likes Received
    All is this is fine but Dallas still has to find a way to generate more pressure on a consistent bases. If we are not getting in out of Spencer then we best find a DE who can.

I understand that part of Spencer job is to drop back into coverage much more than Ware does but we still have a situation of QB having too much time.
  4. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    How very Barry Switzer-esque of him
  5. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    What do you expect him to say "We're spending $9 million this year on a mediocre player"?

If they really felt he was one of the top lf the Top OLBs in the NFL, shouldn't they have gotten an extension worked well before this point? They didn't wait around until the last minute and slap the franchise tag on DeMarcus Ware or Jay Ratliff. If Sean Lee stays healthy they probably won't wait very long to get him locked up either.
  6. Doomsday101

78,389 Messages
    3,727 Likes Received
    True, I think after looking at the alternative they came to the conclusion that it was in their best interest, not that Spencer had earned it.

I think the stats that Garrett is talking about are good numbers from a good player but not a franchise type player.
  7. Nation

Nation Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,523 Messages
    1,025 Likes Received
    I agree with this completely. We need another 3-4 end to pair with Hatcher in the nickel package and we need a lot more pressure from our inside linebackers as well.
  8. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    So Jason Garrett says you have to look at his overall production and he's not a lazy player.

Hopefully, some of you will stuff a sock in it now.
  9. Doomsday101

78,389 Messages
    3,727 Likes Received
    Hopfully Carter will be able to use his speed to bring pressure. When Dallas was blitzing James and Brooking they were unable to get there to make the plays. My hope is with the speed we have at ILB that it may change how effective inside blitzes are.
  10. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Sean Lissemore did very well in the limited snaps he got last year. Could be a starter by the end of next season at DE for us if we don't draft one high.
  11. Doomsday101

78,389 Messages
    3,727 Likes Received
    I did like what I was seeing from Sean Lissemore. I hope he has an expanded role this season.

Another guy I'm looking at is Josh Brent getting more time at NT at 6'2" 320
  12. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

791 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    No he's not!

What do you know, Garrett? You're just the Head Coach. Garrett - you need to read this Board more often. You just don't get it. Jones must be brainwashing you.
  13. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,620 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    Is Spencer Elite? No...Solid? Yes....

Butler probably can rush the passer, but can he play the run well?
  14. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,834 Messages
    7,563 Likes Received
    When Bradie James was inexplicably able to get interior pressure for a period in 2009, the defense got a lot better. We could use an upgrade at Coleman's position at DE, I agree, and we really need more pressure from the ILBs and from Spencer. Hopefully, better coverage on the back end helps out with that. And hopefully, we can get a quality pressure player with one of our first two picks.

Re: Garrett's comments, they're boilerplate as far as I'm concerned. But I like the sound of this:

It's purely wishful thinking, but it sounds to me like we at least have a plan we believe in for fixing the defense.
  15. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,787 Messages
    1,667 Likes Received
    Considering how often you have posted negative things about Garrett this is rich coming from you
  16. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,787 Messages
    1,667 Likes Received
    I really hate Political Correctness anywhere it comes up.

And Red Ball unfortunately uses it quite often.

What he should have said is this

"After careful thought we went this way. Anthony Spencer is a player we decided to keep."

And not blow stupid sunshine up everyone's skirts by trying to make this JAG starter more then he is.
  17. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

791 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    Maybe Garrett really believes Spencer is that good...

I've learned to trust people at their word until they give me a reason not to...

So far, I trust Garrett at his word.
  18. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    I wish to make a point. Where did you stand with regards to the lockout? Were you pro union or pro owners? Cause everyone that supported the union is now seeing what they got. Spence may not be worth the money, but the players got a good deal and they are going to take a bigger chunk of the money as a result.

I don't mean to single you out here, and hope you do not take offense, as none is intended.
  19. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,496 Messages
    9,648 Likes Received
    And my opinion of Garrett takes a hit.
  20. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

....I have hung in there with this guy until now but....to say he's "one of the better 3-4 OLB's" is just..........assinine. Jebus Red Ball, that is horrible.:banghead: