1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Jay Novacek on Dez Bryant: Issues that 'plagued him in the past are gone now'

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Apr 3, 2014.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

23,540 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    Dez Bryant has taken advice from a lot of people on his way to becoming one of the league’s top receivers.

One of those influences is former Cowboys tight end Jay Novacek.

“I don’t know if I’ve ever been around a player who just simply wants to play the game of football like Dez does,’’ Novacek said. “You know, Michael (Irvin) had an unbelievable desire to win. I think that’s what put Michael ahead of everyone else, just that unbelievable desire to win at all costs when he was out there performing.

“I think Dez has that heart of, ‘I want to play this game every day of my life.’’’

Novacek believes Bryant has done a better job of moving past the off the field issues that once weighed the young receiver down.

Continue reading...
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2014
  2. pacy

pacy 82 WITTEN 82

221 Messages
    27 Likes Received
    Dez, we need you big time this coming season.
    cowboyschmps3 likes this.
  3. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,243 Messages
    328 Likes Received
    he needs to start taking over games. I haven't seen that yet.
    cowboyschmps3 likes this.
  4. JPostSam

JPostSam Active Member

992 Messages
    210 Likes Received
    check out his game logs on espn.com.

dez has had outstanding games that resulted in losses because the defense collapsed. had those been wins, you would remember them as games that he had "taken over." but because they were losses, you think he hasn't taken over games. it's not true.

also, there have been times when dez was killing defenses, but they stopped throwing to him... sending more than a few posters here into fits.

(see topics: offensive inconsistency, questionable play calling, etc.)
  5. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,596 Messages
    1,089 Likes Received
    No no no. You're wrong, Jay.

ESPN has informed me that Dez Bryant is the Devil.
  6. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    It is hard for him to take over when the ball wasn't thrown his way. There was some long stretches that Dez was ignored.
    TheFinisher likes this.
  7. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Dez is the only player on the current roster that displays the deep desire to win. Losing hurts him and he shows it much like Irvin did during his playing days. The Cowboys need more players with his attitude. I hope there are others on the team with this attitude, but they don't let it show.
  8. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

7,913 Messages
    679 Likes Received
    He took over a game against the Giants, but came up a finger tip short. That would have been a signature game if that was a TD.
    But yet there are other games he didn't. but was that him or the play calling, or just the way the game went.
  9. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

23,544 Messages
    3,790 Likes Received
    That was painful. But in a way, I hope that play is one of the things that appears to have kept him humble.

If he stays humble and hungry, he's going to be in Irvin's class one day.
  10. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,654 Messages
    3,575 Likes Received
    Him and Witten. That's it.
    BigStar likes this.
  11. BigStar

BigStar Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,048 Messages
    1,181 Likes Received
    This team really needs to ride Dez/Murray to reach its true potential on Offense. Otherwise, we are just throwing "mud" against the wall until we end up in the endzone.
    Carl23 and Reality like this.
  12. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,010 Messages
    1,031 Likes Received
    in all the attacks on romo and "interceptions" i keep pointing out he got us from behind and it only took a minute for our defense to give it right back, putting romo in an impossible situation. i don't get why some people are so quick to forgive our defense giving up a TD so quickly yet so harsh on romo for having to pull another comeback out of his hineyhole yet again.

we fix our d, we've made a huge improvement. offense isn't the issue.
  13. phildadon86

phildadon86 Active Member

359 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    agreed, it amazes me that people forget that there is a complete other side of football then offense. The defense and Jason Garretts time management issues cost us a lot of games. I dont put that on Dez in the slightest
  14. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,155 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    I agree. I think Dez and Murray are the ones to push this team. Don't see it from Romo/Witten.
    blackbull and BigStar like this.
  15. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,550 Messages
    426 Likes Received
    I don't think any of us can relate to the situation Bryant was going through at the time.

Doubt any of us had this family dynamic - mother had you at 14, with a history of drug use and prostitution. Lived in dozens of different homes with no real stability. Not exactly an environment conducive to success, yet he's made it.

What he's done on the field is nothing short or remarkable but his growth off the field has been even more impressive.

I was always a huge Dez fan but worried that he would be dragged down by his past and the people around him. He's taken a complete 180, is on pace to have a hall of fame career and a spot in the ring of honor. Easily my favorite Cowboy, love watching him play the game and look forward to seeing him lead this team to number 6.

For all the grief he's been given over his troubles, he deserves the same amount of praise to be heaped on for his progress.
  16. yentl911

yentl911 Well-Known Member

1,488 Messages
    204 Likes Received
    That is so great to hear. Dez is a freak athlete and just wants to win. I love the passion he brings every week - it is something that this team has been missing for some time IMO. I understand some guys lead by quiet example but every now and then you need a guy to get pissed off, show emotion, and get the guys fired up. Football is an emotional game and I love the fire!

He does need to rein it in a little at times but that will come.
  17. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,073 Messages
    452 Likes Received
    I agree. But he needs to go up for the ball like Michael did. That is holding him back.
  18. Questfor6

Questfor6 Well-Known Member

1,222 Messages
    224 Likes Received
    Murray showed it the last two games of the season, I hope it carries over especially since he's in a contract year.
  19. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,323 Messages
    2,879 Likes Received
    The need extends beyond the 2014 season.
  20. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

12,393 Messages
    512 Likes Received
    I really don't know of any players who do not want to play badly (other than Jay Ratliff) or who do not want to win.

I think Novocek just spouting off cliches.