1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Jay Novacek on Dez Bryant: Issues that 'plagued him in the past are gone now'

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,786 Messages
    643 Likes Received
    but why was he ignored. We know Callihan was running things at first last year, we know Romo has audible privileges. So we can be certain this isn't just Jason Garrett issue. I think it comes down to conditioning and Dez fades badly when over-worked. He might never be type of receiver you can look back on see where he absolutely took over a game or a stretch of games. He could still be top 5 receiver but never dominate in sense that CJ can just dynamically alter path of a game.
  2. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

13,398 Messages
    863 Likes Received
    You raised interesting points.
    My fear is that in 2018 we will still be talking about Dez's potential and the reasons he is being hindered.
    Also, I don't care if he takes over a game or not. My preference would be a total team effort: good sustained ground game and prudent passing. that is what wins games and not one superstar taking over a game. Because as soon as that happens, the other will go to double coverage. And I know Dez does not like that as would any other receiver.
  3. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,786 Messages
    643 Likes Received
    I absolutely agree that Dez has a burning desire to win. However, his on-field behavior doesn't seen to inspire anyone. So what you get is a raging player on the sideline and team still loses. I don't think those sideline rants help at all. What he needs to do is start building alliances on the team that have same burning desire. Then go out on field and lead by example and win.
    pancakeman likes this.
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,997 Messages
    7,742 Likes Received
    I was a skeptic, too. Dez has addressed everything in his power to address his shortcomings (learning his adjustments and tackling is challenges off-field). I still worry about a huge extension for a game changing face-of-the-franchise player who has shown signs of developing a trick back.
  5. theSHOW

theSHOW Benched

3,490 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received
    Not sold on DB. He will want too much. Would love to see Watkins in silver pants. Dallas could get a decent draft pick for Bryat.
  6. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,382 Messages
    1,406 Likes Received
    When they had his 'sideline demeanor' mic'd....he didn't come off badly at all. It was just the media and Brian Billick making assumptions because that is what they do.

YR
  7. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    Exactly.
  8. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,462 Messages
    6,029 Likes Received
    More worried about his back when it comes to a long contract than anything else. Plus who is going to be the QB for the second half of that contract?
  9. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,142 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    Maturity is something else!
  10. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Dez needs to calm down, I agree. The "leading by example" thing has not worked. Use Witten as an example. He is the definition if a pro player, but I don't see players responding to him. The players have trouble communicating with Dez because they lack his passion. I don't think they understand him due to their lack of having a winning attitude.
  11. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,462 Messages
    6,029 Likes Received
    This man gets it.

We have a country club fanbase that gets uncomfortable any time they see a player get emotional. They forgot about the 90s teams.
    blackbull likes this.
  12. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Exactly. I am sure that their are players that want Dez to calm down and not rock the boat. Some of these guys don't care about winning. They only want a paycheck . Dez wants more and they are not comfortable with it.
  13. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,560 Likes Received
    Romo's successor? Since Romo will be around here for at least the next 2-3 years it's far too early to start thinking about that. There is a good chance we come out of this draft not being any closer to finding out.
  14. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,584 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    The same could be said for EVERY WR in the NFL (except maybe the 5 that got targeted more than Dez). It happens, that's football.

Learn the facts before you whine about nonsense.
  15. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I guess the dozens of posters that noticed Dez being ignored for long stretches during games were all wrong. It was a weekly topic during the season, but cling to your stats that doesn't tell the whole story. If the same can be said of all WRs, , you are defeating your own argument if Des is included. The fact that it happens to others doesn't say that it doesn't happen to Dez. It still happens regardless of what happens to other WRs.
  16. Carl23

Carl23 Member

287 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    I only wish the coaching staff would think the same...
    BigStar likes this.
  17. GimmeTheBall!

13,398 Messages
    863 Likes Received
    so, his syntax and his grammar were good?
    LOL
  18. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,382 Messages
    1,406 Likes Received
    1. When was I discussing sytax and grammar?

2. Who cares about syntax and grammar when you're involved in something as emotional as a game.

Billick and company tried to paint Dez as the bad guy and a 'prima donna' that wanted the ball and when it was all mic'd up that just wasn't the case. And the Dez haters struggled to make an excuse for their assumptions.

YR
    casmith07 likes this.
  19. GimmeTheBall!

13,398 Messages
    863 Likes Received
    Hey, we should all care about syntax and grammar!
    When some juan say on the sidelines: "We be the best in the NFL," well, mister, it gift me nightmares.

LOL

Don't get them in a wad.
  20. GimmeTheBall!

13,398 Messages
    863 Likes Received
    Dez dont rage on the sidelines, that is a figment of our imaginations and the media's.

And when he do rage on the sidelines we get the obligatory "he's an emotional player" from the coaches and his fans. Being emotional can be good -- if you are a thespian or opera star.