1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DMN: Jerry Jones has lots of voices in his head — it's method, not madness

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Risen Star, Mar 22, 2014.

1. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,472 Messages
    2,327 Likes Received
    Just saying Jerry seems to be keen on hiring the staff, and has done so with his last two coaches. All the way to hiring the assistant coaches before the head coach.

Now what other teams do or don't do is probably not consistent from one franchise to the next, or even in the same franchise.

My OPINION is you allow the head coach to hire the people he wants to infuse his philosophy to the entire team.

I find it odd that Jerry wants to assemble a staff, and in some cases do so before he has decided which puppet - I mean which head coach he is bringing in next.

Especially when he hired an assistant head coach in Garrett and divided the duties of "head coach" between Garrett and Phillips. He undermined Phillips with that move as he "Trained" Garrett for the next head coaching opening he anticipated.

Never seen that before.
  2. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    This is what happens when you stop trying. You come up with some ridiculous explanation for something that costs millions of dollars to do and costs real people their jobs and they have to move their familly. "Daddy got fired today son because those simple Cowboy fans need to be distracted."
    Corso and Air Force One like this.
  3. TwoDeep3

6,472 Messages
    2,327 Likes Received
    I wonder how you, or anyone else, know what you profess as fact? I see you post in this thread making assumptions like we all do. So if you want to play that card, I'm game.

There could be a collective with other teams. Or the head coach brings in his own coaches.

But the fact remains Jerry hired assistant coaches before he hired a head coach when he brought Phillips on. And then undermined his head coach by elevating Garrett as the assistant head coach and had essentially one head coach for the offense and one for the defense.

Have YOU ever seen that before? I sure haven't.

Not in football or in business. You have one leader or you divide your house. I think some high brow President said something like that.
  4. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,686 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    You're just making my point for me. We had guys in here who were successful in a certain system, and CHANGED SYSTEMS! We devoted multiple high draft picks for Claiborne and a 50 mil contract to Carr, who are man CBs and changed to a scheme that uses more zone principles. You don't do that kind of stuff when you have a plan.

Of course, if you have guys on defense who you have devoted lots of resources to, you can't just get rid of them. That's why most teams try to find coordinators who can run a system that would maximize the potential of the personnel in place.
  5. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,921 Messages
    2,120 Likes Received
    For one I have no pro-Garrett agenda. I thot he should be fired last year. I dont think he has "IT" as far as being a HC. I do however, think he has done some good things and those things are recognizable.

Playcalling? Im honest enough to say that I dont know. Ive never been in on any of those discussions at VR. But if memory serves me well enough, I do recall that Red _ didnt want to do the playcalling long term and Jerry was more the driving force behind Red being the playcaller AND the HC. So what this SHOULD tell you is that I dont swallow the drivel and dung spewed by the DFW mediots and I actually look at things w/o that tainted perspective.

You guys are a riot. Its like a bunch of little Alex Jones' posting about all the inner workings at VR w/o having any way to validate any of what you proclaim. And you just keep building by adding unverifiable block upon unverifiable block and have created your own monster.
    5Stars likes this.
  6. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,921 Messages
    2,120 Likes Received

Some "assumptions" are far more realistic and actually based in reality. Others are based on misperception and only serve to add to the misperception.
  7. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,686 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    Coulda fooled me... in here talking about you believe in his plan. He has done some good things, woopty do.

You don't have to know... and you don't have to listen to the media. It's called common sense. He was always the playcaller, and the offense was fairly successful. He refused to acknowledge Callahan would be calling plays even after Jerry and Callahan mentioned it, and then when he thought Callahan needed help, he was quick to get back into the play calling process. It's common sense that he didn't want to step down from play calling.

How do you "recall" that Red didn't want to do the playcalling long term if you don't swallow the media dung? You swallowing someone else's dung?

For all that is holy, you do the same thing! No one on here knows the inner workings at VR. You give him the benefit of the doubt, cause Garrett has done some good things... I don't, cause there have been way more missteps IMO. It's not unverifiable when the team talks about the way things are done and you see the results.
    Dodger12 likes this.
  8. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,686 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    LOL

It's ok if I make assumptions, cause I base them in reality. Swearsies. You gais make assumptions based on misperceptions.
  9. TwoDeep3

6,472 Messages
    2,327 Likes Received
    Have you EVER seen a GM hire assistants before hiring a head coach?
  10. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    Well I agree that you should let a coach make his own bed and I think Garrett has done that and haven't seen anything to say he hasn't. The reports I read said it was him that called Rob Ryan and let him go. And after 7-8 years of Garrett calling plays everyone in the division had a book on him and his tendencies so I really don't care why they changed playcallers. If you really think these guys are puppets then you should write and ask Jerry to do what he was doing when he put Phillips and Garrett together back in 07, it mighta looked odd but they won some games unless your one of those that wants to credit Bill Parcells with all those wins while he was in Miami. He's not the first Miami coach to get the Cowboys to the playoffs.
  11. TwoDeep3

6,472 Messages
    2,327 Likes Received
    So why don't they have a book on Andy Reid, Pete Carroll, Billichick and a whole host of other coaches and play callers?

Your Phillips and Garrett comment is interesting. But what you leave out is this.

Jimmy left a team that could win. Why he left isn't important as much as the franchise had depth and play makers throughout the team. Switzer brought a new attitude, which may have allowed the team to take a deep breath and finally win. 94 was more injuries than talent of leadership. But to be sure Switzer started the attitude here that lost the team's luster by his permissiveness.

Parcels forged a team that had an attitude to win and players who could attain that goal. Phillips won because of a team built by someone else. Jerry had a hand in that evidently considering the Ware story. And I never suggest Jerry doesn't sometimes make the right move. (My belief is you could take maybe half of this board's most active posters - the guys who live and breathe this game - and put them in the GM spot here and come away with players too. So I suppose some of me so disrespects Jerry that I can't begrudge him much in the way of credit.)

What did Phillips do after the 2007 fold?

He went 9-7 then came back with 11-5 the next season.

But here's the deal on the season after. Garrett took over because the Phillips lost the team. Right?

Then why is it two former players on offense suggested the day after Phillips was fired, they got a new playbook from Garrett? They were running deeper routes and the full offense?

Some of that may be horse manure, but where there is smoke....ect.

And with that, I think Garrett is a weasel, which is off topic.
  12. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received

Is there anything the Cowboys do that can't be argued as a sign that they don't have a plan or don't know what they're doing? I doubt any team in the history of changing defensive philosophies has ever started drafting for the change 3 years ahead of time. If there was some rule that you can't ask a guy to learn a new defense everyone would have to swap their personnel out if they wanted to change.
  13. dreghorn2

dreghorn2 Well-Known Member

1,113 Messages
    191 Likes Received
    I wish we had the book on Sean Payton, believe that.
  14. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,686 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    I can't argue that bringing in Melton is a sign that they don't know what they're doing. He fits this defense, and has had success on a Marinelli line before. Cutting Ware, while unfortunate, was a move that had to be made. I'm in favor of not paying Hatcher a big deal given his age and pedestrian production until this past season.

And I'm not saying you can't change defensive philosophies. You certainly can. Just when you do, you generally have a high roster turnover during the offseason to get players that fit your new system. You basically have to rebuild the entire defense when you switch systems like that. And there's a right and a wrong time to change, just like anything else.

Jerry has been adamant that he's not rebuilding the roster. He wants to maximize Romo's remaining years. Switching systems on defense takes years, not months. Even Parcells didn't have all the personnel the way he wanted it in one season. You can't make a change like this and not overhaul the personnel.
  15. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    I don't think Billichic has called plays in several years and Andy Reid got exposed when his DC passed away and he tried to make his offensive line coach a DC. Pete Carrol has had 3 great years but see where he's at in 3 more. I think the Giants switched coordinators a year after winning the SB WHY? The Ravens switched on the way to the SB. I listened to Holley and the other guy they both said they were running simple playbooks AND they were talking about all the new guys on the team, you run simple playbooks when you draft Dez Bryant to make him the center of your passing attack and when the season tanks and you got nothing to lose you speed up the learning early instead of waiting till the off season to put in a new bunch of new plays. The first pass they threw to Dez was without him running a route do you really think that was because Garrett wanted to get Wade fired? I refuse to debate how many wins a HC get's credit for after they leave. Especially 2 coaches that quit.
  16. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    He's been doin a great job but they need a defense. Sound familiar?
  17. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    No, not really.
  18. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    I can't say it was a great move but if Ryan doesn't get saddled with injuries like Kiffin last year I don't know that they would have changed. It could just be that they changed to get the coach they wanted. They did it for Parcells.
  19. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    How's that fire the head coach and get rid of the owner program your runnin working out for you?
  20. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,736 Messages
    1,814 Likes Received
    lol He hates everything....never has a good word about the team.