1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Jerry Jones on Cowboys D: 'We've got to do better, and we will do better'

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Nov 23, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,575 Messages
    3,437 Likes Received
    Cowboys owner Jerry Jones joined Shan & R.J. on 105.3 The Fan to discuss the team's win over the Redskins. Here are some highlights:

On why he said he was ‘mad all day’ after the Redskins game:
    Well, I was mad during the game. We didn’t take advantage of some pretty good mojo and some pretty good momentum there early, and we could’ve had two or three plays there where, if we would’ve executed them, would’ve made a big difference. I thought we were playing great defense. I understood why and how we made those calls, but still, we didn’t get it done there. And you always know that anytime a team has got the motivation [the Redskins] had, if they stay in the game, then that’s a very positive thing for them, and it’s a letdown for the team that’s got the, in this particular case, better personnel, and should have – being in the hunt – should have more incentive. Anytime you let that hang around, it’s going to bite you, and it bit us. And when they came back and tied it at the half, you knew the war was on.

On what’s wrong with Rob Ryan’s defense:
    Well, I don’t know that there’s any one thing, but we certainly are going to do better. We’ve got to do better, and we will do better.

Read the rest; http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...ve-got-to-do-better-and-we-will-do-better.ece
  2. Givincer

Givincer Active Member

1,805 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    I find it very hard to blame the defense for how tight Sunday's game was. We had an opportunity to go up big in the beginning of the game, with Washington not getting a first down for, I believe, their first 6 drives. It should never be the case that you stop a team from getting a first down 6 straight drives and only get 10 points out of that.
  3. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

5,916 Messages
    380 Likes Received
    shut up Jerry.
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,093 Messages
    4,011 Likes Received
    Really? The defense ended up getting victimized by the worst team in the NFL while we were up by two scores. Whatever blame should be assigned after winning a close game over a division rival should be shared between them and the ST unit.
  5. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great bass players Staff Member

35,459 Messages
    2,801 Likes Received
    All three phases of the game need to shoulder the blame starting with STs then the D then the O. Primarily the first two.
  6. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

2,972 Messages
    516 Likes Received
    Jerry needs to get down there and start teaching those boys the right technique.
  7. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

10,985 Messages
    369 Likes Received
    Every one seems to forget the great field position we gave them time and time again. Hell, you and I could punch it in with 40 yards twixt us and the end zone.......several times.
  8. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    The defenses job in that situation is to hold them to to a FGA. They didn't - they allowed touchdowns. They failed horribly on those two scenarios. They had another chance in the 3rd quarter where they held Washington to a FGA which they missed.

Ideally, your defense holds them to 6 points for those 3 trips - 3 longish FGAs for which the opposition makes 2. Instead they scored 14.

The defense deserves the criticism it has received.

The coverage units on STs also deserve lots of blame for two long returns and McBriar gets blame for the shank.

Plenty of blame to go around but thankfully Romo and Bailey played really well and secured the win for us.
  9. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,604 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Thanks for holding it down.

Hey Jerry.

Shut up.