1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Jerry Jones says contract figure he has in mind for Spencer is much less...

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 24, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,137 Messages
    6,916 Likes Received
    By Rainer Sabin / Reporter
    rsabin@dallasnews.com
    9:54 pm on February 23, 2013 | Permalink

INDIANAPOLIS — Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said there is a “reasonable” way for the team to retain free agent linebacker Anthony Spencer and prevent him from exploring the open market.

But Jones also explained “you can’t have it all.”

“We are going to have to pick our spots to spend this money,” he added.

The contract figure Jones has in mind for Spencer “is much less than he is going to take.”

Read the rest: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...r-is-much-less-than-he-is-going-to-take.html/
  2. slomoxn

slomoxn Well-Known Member

1,731 Messages
    322 Likes Received
    Then why are they wasting Spencer's and their time?
  3. nickjamesw43

nickjamesw43 Active Member

390 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    I don't think they ruled out resigning Spencer here. He only said if Spencer hits the open market they would not be able to match the money he's going to get.

Reading between the lines a little here. But perhaps that "Reasonable" way is to tag him or threaten to tag him and use that as leverage to get him to sign a below market deal.

If Spencer has to choose between our below market deal and whatever the highest bid for him is in free agency hes always going to pick the other team. However if his choice is between another year on the tag and a long term deal it's different. Players hate the tag because it provides no long term security.

It's an interesting dynamic of the negotiations that I hadn't considered before. If you can get Spencer to sign a deal that's even 10 to 20% below market I wouldn't think twice. I think it's much more efficient use of cap space to do that rather then go into free agency and bid against various other teams for unrestricted free agents.
  4. TwentyOne

TwentyOne Well-Known Member

2,490 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    He did not say "get", he said:

And that's a major difference.

Of course these are comments to put preassure on the other side. Negotiation tactics. But i like the reasons JJ gives for his position.
  5. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,139 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    Spencer is not going to be back...
  6. Joe Realist

Joe Realist No Kool-Aid here!

6,909 Messages
    418 Likes Received
    Spencer and Jenkins to the Eagles is my prediction.
  7. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,186 Messages
    2,026 Likes Received
    Before you can do that, you would have to clear the cap space it would take to actually accommodate the contract.

And besides, there is no guarantee that any team will offer more or even match what it might take to franchise him. It would be very risky to do this. If you look around the league, a lot of vets are getting cut. We are not the only team who is having cap constraint issues right now. It would be very risky to do that, especially if you are not certain that player you are gambling on is a player that would be worth it.
  8. trueblue1687

trueblue1687 Well-Known Member

1,672 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Rule number 1 in contract negotiations: If the the 'adverse' party accepts your first offer, you've offered too much.
  9. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,465 Messages
    2,887 Likes Received
    Nick Eatman on Cowboys Break all but said that Spencer is gone.

Looks like Crawford is your new DE.
  10. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,465 Messages
    2,887 Likes Received
    We dont have the cap to tag Spencer, not with Romo at $17 million cap charge this season.
  11. MagicMan

MagicMan Active Member

846 Messages
    106 Likes Received
    I agree, Spencer for Hire......:D