1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: LT Tyron Smith wants to turn his fine into a positive for area children

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Sep 19, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,233 Messages
    7,064 Likes Received
    By Brandon George / Reporter
    bgeorge@dallasnews.com
    10:05 am on September 19, 2012 | Permalink

IRVING — Cowboys starting left tackle Tyron Smith wants to turn his negative into a positive for area children and adults with disabilities. He wants Cowboys’ fans to help him.

Smith was fined $15,750 by the NFL for an illegal horse-collar tackle in the second quarter of the Cowboys’ season-opening 24-17 win at the Giants two weeks ago.

Cowboys fans raved about the game-changing play by Smith, and some even offered to chip in to help pay for the fine. Smith doesn’t want the fans’ help to pay the fine, but he has come up with a way that he can turn the fine into a positive for Dallas-based Camp Summit, which has a mission to provide barrier-free outdoor experiences that promote personal growth and foster independence for children and adults with disabilities.

Smith is asking that Cowboys’ fans donate to Camp Summit by visiting www.campsummittx.org. Hit the “DONATENOW” button and in the dedication line type in, “I support Tyron Smith & Camp Summit!”

Read more: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...a-children-and-adults-with-disabilities.html/
  2. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

3,071 Messages
    1,268 Likes Received
    Classy move by Tyron.
  3. BlueStar3398

BlueStar3398 Active Member

1,544 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I will donate. I love the idea.
  4. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

4,420 Messages
    1,807 Likes Received
    He should turn his fine to something positive for the team. Like competent play on the line. He's been a liability in both games.
  5. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,703 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    You know I was thinking this exact thought.

The kid is a real talent with loads of potential, but his first two games this season have been awful.

Folks love to ***** about Doug Free, but so far this season Doug Free has been the better player.
  6. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

3,071 Messages
    1,268 Likes Received
    He has not played well, but he's a kid learning a new position. He didn't even play LT in college. Growing pains are to be expected.

He's going to be agreat LT. But it's going to take awhile. Like a couple of years. Right now we should just settle for holding his own.

And even that he has struggled with. But he'll get better.
  7. JoeyBoy718

4,420 Messages
    1,807 Likes Received
    With that logic we should trade Ware for a rookie pass rusher. We want results and Smith has been playing worse than most teams' backups. Sure he has potential but right now he's hurting us far more than helping.
  8. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

3,071 Messages
    1,268 Likes Received
    Huh?

I have no idea what your talking about.
  9. JoeyBoy718

4,420 Messages
    1,807 Likes Received
    Well, that was extreme. I'm just saying we can't simply be happy because he has potential. He has been playing awful and we should be disappointed. I'm not giving up on him. I'm just saying he's been the worst starter on our team on both sides of the field.
  10. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

3,071 Messages
    1,268 Likes Received
    I agree he's played poorly. But there really is no other alternative.

All we can do is let him play and hope he gets better. I know he will. I just can't tell you how fast it will be.
  11. WoodysGirl

67,233 Messages
    7,064 Likes Received
    Maybe people should've tempered their expectations for his play. There were articles throughout the offseason that it wouldn't be an easy transition. There were also signs in preseason that he was struggling.

People focused on Free, but Tyron was struggling, as well.

I think both guys will be fine as the season goes along and the OL gels, but the struggles should've been expected.
  12. JoeyBoy718

4,420 Messages
    1,807 Likes Received
    Well, I know. I expected him to struggle. I'm just stating facts. And the fact is, after 2 games, our worst starter on offense or defense has been Tyron Smith. That being said, he might be an All-Pro this year. It's still early.
  13. WoodysGirl

67,233 Messages
    7,064 Likes Received
    Your stated your opinion. And your OPINION is that he's been the worse starter.

I disagree and some articles I've seen seemed to suggested that while he's struggled, it hasn't been as bad as what you're suggested.

So no, I disagree he's been the worst starter.

Have you forgotten our center play so soon?

It's all relative since basically all the guys on the OL have pulled a headscratcher move.
  14. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,911 Messages
    1,413 Likes Received
    Tyron's been the worst player so far?

:lmao:

Donated.
  15. JoeyBoy718

4,420 Messages
    1,807 Likes Received
    Name a starter who has been worse over a course of 2 games so far. No one in the secondary. Definitely not a LBer. The D-line shut down the run in the first game and the fist half of the second game. So that means no defensive starter has been worse. Moving to offense. Definitely not Romo. Not Murray. Not the WRers. The worst on the O-line have been the tackles. I think Free has been slightly better than Smith. That leaves Witten and Smith. Considering Smith's importance, he has been more of a liability. But you can make an argument for Witten being our worst starter so far too.
  16. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,860 Messages
    1,706 Likes Received
    anytime someone claims their OPINION as facts I consider that poster worthless
  17. JoeyBoy718

4,420 Messages
    1,807 Likes Received
    Haha ok. I misspoke by calling it a fact. But why don't you make a worthful contribution by arguing a worse starter.
  18. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,144 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    I'm not sure why people are in shock that Tyron's struggling... He's playing the toughest position on the offensive line for the very first time.
  19. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,860 Messages
    1,706 Likes Received
    BS.

You got called on acting like a know it all and now you are whining.