1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Monte Kiffin says heat was a factor in Cowboys' loss to Chargers

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Sep 30, 2013.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

29,723 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    RVING — It was 80 degrees at kickoff Sunday in San Diego. No sweat for the Cowboys, right? Well, not exactly. At least that’s what defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin said after Dallas’ 30-21 loss to the Chargers, when he was asked why linebacker Bruce Carter was taken out of the game in the second half.

“We rotated some guys in there because it was not really hot, hot, but it was warmer than normal,” Kiffin responded.

Asked specifically if the heat was a factor Sunday, Garrett said, “I don’t think so.”

Continue reading...
    BoysFan4ever likes this.
  2. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    Yeah, San Diego brought the heat, the Cowboys did not in the 2nd half. No heat, an iceberg.
  3. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

5,885 Messages
    1,892 Likes Received
    Sounds like a lame excuse to me.
  4. Cebrin

Cebrin Well-Known Member

785 Messages
    453 Likes Received
    Wow, excuses. Just say you were the loser and move on.
  5. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,658 Messages
    6,408 Likes Received
    Some selective reading going on in this thread.

Also, I get on the Dallas media for being awful all the time, but this might be one of my favorite article headline/primary quote situations ever:

Nice work, everybody at DMN.
    1LoyalCowboyFan likes this.
  6. tico

tico Active Member

548 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    Texas Team saying SoCal was hot? they were just in Oxnard....amazing
    BoysFan4ever likes this.
  7. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,718 Messages
    1,398 Likes Received
    soooo, the heat was a factor or lack of conditioning was a factor?
  8. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    Well, the Cowboys defense better chill out before the Denver game.
  9. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,755 Messages
    1,283 Likes Received
    Pretty amazing that some are still ignoring this even after you've pointed it out.

“We rotated some guys in there because it was not really hot, hot, but it was warmer than normal,” Kiffin responded.

Does NOT mean

"We stunk on defense because it was hot."

He was answering a question, not making excuses.
  10. Idgit

30,658 Messages
    6,408 Likes Received
    Just calling out that the article title directly contradicts the article money-quote. Wasn't a commentary on the upcoming game. But, I agree, the Broncos are a hot offense, and it'll take some doing to cool them off.
  11. Idgit

30,658 Messages
    6,408 Likes Received
    Yep. And then Garrett says explicitly the opposite of what the article title says. People react to thread/article titles. It's almost amusing.
    Redball Express likes this.
  12. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,300 Messages
    3,029 Likes Received
    Given time of possession in the 2nd half for SD yeah I can see the need for trying to give players breathers. I don’t see an excuse in this when they also talked about Carter needing to do a better job and getting in a better position in coverage. I fully expect to see Carter on the field this coming game and hopefully playing the way the coaches feel he is capable of.
  13. BoysFan4ever

5,885 Messages
    1,892 Likes Received
    Whatever they did it didn't work so they need to do something else. The defense was lousy.
  14. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    Both teams played in the same "heat" so no, heat was not a factor (no matter who did or didn't say it).
    BoysFan4ever likes this.
  15. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

3,006 Messages
    1,052 Likes Received
    Brings back memories of the Pickle Juice game in 2000 that I atteneded at Texas Stadium. It was 109 degrees and the Eagles won 41-14. Eagles players drank pickle juice before the game to avoid cramps. Horrible game to be at.
  16. Doomsday101

77,300 Messages
    3,029 Likes Received
    Heat was not a factor in the loss heat and long drives however would be a reason to rotate guys in and out of the game. Yes both teams played in it yet only one defense was dealing with 10 and 13 play drives and that can wear a defense down.
  17. BoysFan4ever

5,885 Messages
    1,892 Likes Received
    They should have refunded your money to watch that.
    dallasdave likes this.
  18. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    THey were dealing with 10-13 play drives cuz they weren't performing at a high enough level on the first 3-6 plays. It's their own fault.

And I think guys should be getting rotated in anyway, regardless of the temperature.
  19. Doomsday101

77,300 Messages
    3,029 Likes Received
    Not saying it was not their fault but you will rotate guys in anyway and more so when your defense can't get off the field and yes temps would factor in. This is not an excuse, had the defense been able to do the job and get SD off the field they would not have been in that situation.
  20. Hook'em#11

Hook'em#11 Well-Known Member

2,684 Messages
    211 Likes Received
    Wish for a coach would come clean and just flat out say.. "We got our ***** handed to us in the second half. On offense and defense..".

All this coddling.. Gimme a break.
    dallasdave likes this.