1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Morris Claiborne packs on the pounds so he can get ‘more physical’

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, May 21, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,140 Messages
    6,921 Likes Received
    By Rainer Sabin / Reporter
    rsabin@dallasnews.com
    4:57 pm on May 21, 2013 | Permalink

IRVING — One of Morris Claiborne’s goals this off-season was to add weight to his lean frame. As a rookie, the Dallas Cowboys’ 5-11 cornerback didn’t exactly tip the scales at 185 pounds.

Claiborne said he is getting used to moving with the added weight but is happy it’s there. He knows that in new coordinator Monte Kiffin’s scheme the cornerbacks will press receivers and will be required to defend the run — responsibilities that are sure to take a toll on Claiborne’s body.

“Anytime you’re out there playing corner you have to be ready, you have to be ready to tackle when the opportunity presents itself, so with me putting on a couple of pounds and getting more physical and being in the weight room I think is going to help a lot,” Claiborne said.

Read more: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...-the-pounds-so-he-can-get-more-physical.html/
  2. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,514 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    I feel badly for the kid.

He goes in as an underclassmen in the draft, gets drafted high but has a wrist injury that needs surgery that prevents him from lifting weights to get ready for his first season as an NFL player. Then he has to go out and play virtually every snap of the year while not having the strength to properly get the job done.

All I want out of Claiborne is to be a proper wrap-up tackler with good technique. He doesn't have the sort of build where he can go out there and throw his body around recklessly.

I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't put on another 5 pounds next year and then stays there around 195-200 pounds.
  3. mmillman

mmillman Well-Known Member

2,153 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    as long as he doesn't lose his quicks. putting on the additional weight killed Felix's career imo
  4. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,889 Messages
    478 Likes Received
    and julius jones. smh but those guys are running backs. Heck didn't murray put on weight he doesn't look as fast as he did in college. He is still explosive but in college the boy had mad speed.
  5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,771 Likes Received
    Claiborne can afford to add more muscle to his frame. He was limited last year going into training camp due to the cast on his wrist.
  6. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,139 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    That's good weight...
  7. blackbull

blackbull Well-Known Member

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    We hear this every year about a different player. Intercept the ball please Mo
  8. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,885 Messages
    7,629 Likes Received
    You should go post this on his FB page or whatever so he knows what we're expecting. It might just be that it hasn't occurred to him yet.