1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DMN: New Cowboy Terrell McClain: Rod Marinelli was a huge reason I came to Dallas

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jobberone, Apr 13, 2014.

1. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

36,342 Messages
    3,229 Likes Received
    New Cowboy Terrell McClain: Rod Marinelli was a huge reason I came to Dallas
    SPORTSDAYDFW.COM Published: 12 April 2014 04:56 PM
    [IMG]
    New Cowboys defensive lineman Terrell McClain joined Sirius XM NFL radio on Saturday. Here are some highlights from the interview.

On how Rod Marinelli factored in with McClain signing with the Cowboys:

“It factored in a lot. He actually came down to my pro day and actually did the drills at my pro day three years ago when I was coming out of college, so I had a chance to talk to him. He was telling me all about himself. He’s a great guy, a great coach and I’m really fortunate to be able to be coached by him the next three years.”

On if playing in a 4-3 defense will suit his skills:

“I believe so. I was always used to the 4-3, especially being in the 4-3 in college and being in a 4-3 more first year in the NFL. … Being able to play both under and over tackle, playing 3-tech when I was in Carolina and learning how to play nose in Houston is really going to better myself into the 4-3 system that the Dallas Cowboys have.”

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...inelli-was-a-huge-reason-i-came-to-dallas.ece
    w8lifter likes this.
  2. jobberone

36,342 Messages
    3,229 Likes Received
    Do most of you favor this guy being here and why or why not? I really don't know him well.
  3. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

1,477 Messages
    492 Likes Received
    I don't know McClain but I know Marinelli a little bit and I'm on broad with that.
    Sportsbabe, jazzcat22 and jobberone like this.
  4. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

1,961 Messages
    477 Likes Received
    We got him on the cheap so we're taking a chance that he'll develop better in the 4-3 than he did in the 3-4. Marinelli does have a knack for getting the most out of the talent he's given, so then there's that. In truth, McClain really hasn't proven himself to be an exceptional talent as yet. I'm guessing we'll have to wait and find out in time if he's really destined to become one. As I see it, there's really not much to lose seeing as how our investment was a meager one.
  5. 4lifecowboy

4lifecowboy Active Member

815 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    I* know absolutely nothing about him, but Marinelli is high on him so I believe he brings something to the table, we will see what is in a few months.
  6. jobberone

36,342 Messages
    3,229 Likes Received
    Well, I have to say I'm a tad excited at the thought of having a true NG who can perhaps push the pocket. At the least he can hopefully plug the middle and stop the run game esp short yardage. The fact he can play some 3 is good. Perhaps Marinelli sees him more of a 3 than a 1. Don't know. You have to have someone who can play the 1 at times even if you use him some as basically two 3s on the field a lot.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
    waving monkey likes this.
  7. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

1,961 Messages
    477 Likes Received
    Basically, he's a relatively untested commodity, so it'll be interesting seeing how he does in our 4-3 with Marinelli. He has a fair measure of experience already, so that should serve as an advantage for him to adjust sooner than most green rookies would. There appears to be some versatility there and that never hurts, either.
  8. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,819 Messages
    421 Likes Received
    I'm no more for or against it than Selvie and the 17 other guys we brought in last year. I think part of Marinelli's "magic" is that he is willing to bring guys in but not afraid to cut them if they don't have "it". Yes, he has a certain ability to get the most out of his players but his willingness to change is a big part as well.
  9. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,819 Messages
    421 Likes Received
    That's what Broadus says, that he is a fireplug that your not gonna move very easily. I would be really good with that as I think that was a major problem for us last year.
  10. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,939 Messages
    3,389 Likes Received
    Clearly he hasn't been hanging around the CowboysZone.
    Wheeltax, Vanilla2 and jobberone like this.
  11. jobberone

36,342 Messages
    3,229 Likes Received
    That's an understatement but his was a wise one! :)
    Wheeltax likes this.
  12. pgreptom

pgreptom Well-Known Member

1,463 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    Let's be honest. This guy has 21 tackles and 1 sack in 28 games played. I wouldn't expect much at all... but with Rod you never know.
    waving monkey and theranchsucks like this.
  13. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,339 Messages
    1,222 Likes Received
    I don't know much about him, but one thing that intrigues me is that a huge difference between the schlubs brought in during the season last year and this guy is that McClain has NFL experience where many of the off-the-street guys form last year were just plugged in...Marinelli could do wonders with guys that have some ability
  14. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,435 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    Oh, you came to Dallas because of Rod Marinelli?

I'm sure teams were lining up to sign you, Terrell.
  15. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,195 Messages
    807 Likes Received
    What's his size? I know nothing about him as well.
  16. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,353 Messages
    889 Likes Received
    He's 6-2 293. Marinelli seems to prefer the 3 tech sized guys even at the 1 since he values pass rush ability over run stopping ability.
  17. skinsscalper

skinsscalper Well-Known Member

5,270 Messages
    247 Likes Received
    Honestly, I see him as the type of signing that we WOULD have made last year if we could have when the injuries started to pile up. I don't see him as an answer to our problems but as a more quality depth signing than your average sales rep (whom we seemed to be signing left and right out of necessity).

I'm not counting on him to be Hatcher's replacement (I don't think the Cowboys are either) but rather a piece in what's going to be a couple of guys as Hatcher's replacement. The move was poo-pooed by the usual suspects around here but I actually like the signing. I think he and Mincey will be solid (not great) additions to the DL rotation. The fact that they were signed rather quickly tells me that someone in the organization did some homework on both players and they were targeted by the staff. Now, that doesn't mean that the moves were good ones (that remains to be seen). It just means that more thought was put into it than the average fan typically would give any appreciation to.

If Mincey can match Ware's production from last season (and we can add a blue chip type player in the draft along the DL) then I would have a hard time complaining about the move, all things considered (particularly the cap investment). Add McClain who is surely better than Hayden and I think they were both decent signings. They aren't going to knock you socks off (I don't believe) but I think they will be solid contributors. The real story can be told at the end of the season but it's not like adding these two guys is going to alter our draft strategy.
    Kaiser and 4lifecowboy like this.
  18. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,195 Messages
    807 Likes Received
    Wow that light and he played NT for Wade last year. Thanks!
    waving monkey likes this.
  19. 4lifecowboy

4lifecowboy Active Member

815 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    Most Logical perspective I've read this morning.
  20. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

704 Messages
    444 Likes Received
    Totally agree, McClain isn't going to start but is going to give you snaps off the bench at a low price. Its also a scheme issue IMO, he is much better in a 4-3 than being cast as a 3-4 NT like last year.