1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DMN: Report: Jason Garrett pulled trigger on Cowboys' coaching changes; Bill Callahan 'not thrilled'

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jobberone, Jan 30, 2014.

1. jobberone

jobberone Orangutan for hire; blues and southern rock Staff Member

33,388 Messages
    1,783 Likes Received
    Report: Jason Garrett pulled trigger on Cowboys' coaching changes; Bill Callahan 'not thrilled'

[IMG]

It was Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett -- not owner/general manager Jerry Jones or executive vice president Stephen Jones -- who decided to change the Dallas Cowboys' coaching staff,according to an ESPN report.

On Tuesday, the organization announced Scott Linehan had been hired to be the Cowboys’ offensive play-caller, Rod Marinelli has been promoted to defensive coordinator and Monte Kiffin has been given a new title of assistant head coach. Bill Callahan remains the offensive coordinator.

Why did Cowboys show Jay Ratliff more respect than Bill Callahan?

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...bill-callahan-not-thrilled.ece?nclick_check=1
  2. jobberone

jobberone Orangutan for hire; blues and southern rock Staff Member

33,388 Messages
    1,783 Likes Received
    Does Linehan call plays from the sideline or the booth?
  3. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

2,466 Messages
    714 Likes Received
    Of course Callahan isn't thrilled. Who can blame him?

It was a mistake for Jerry to not let him leave. Forcing him to stay when he doesn't want to be there is an invitation for even more dysfunction than there already is.
  4. JeffInDC

JeffInDC Active Member

980 Messages
    43 Likes Received
    If this IS true, looks like Red is doing a Munchak.................if this is his last season has HC, he wants HIS GUYS where HE wants them. I think it has become more obvious as well that Callahan was a Jerry pick.
  5. Jerryrage

Jerryrage Active Member

292 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    Scott Linehan might be a small upgrade over Callahan, however it's not much based on his track record.
    jobberone likes this.
  6. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

11,585 Messages
    367 Likes Received
    Whatever Callahan
    Zordon and casmith07 like this.
  7. Gadfly22

Gadfly22 Active Member

608 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    Cowboys' 2014 offensive playcalling booth:

[IMG]
  8. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

2,466 Messages
    714 Likes Received
    L
    Lol!
  9. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

10,989 Messages
    1,460 Likes Received
    Really, because if it was Garrett's choice, he'd still be the play-caller... And if you call Rod Marinelli a Garrett move, how can one explain the Kiffen move, which is not allegedly a Jerry move when clowns like this were telling us it was a JG move from Tampa, that brought him here in the first place?
    HoustonFrog, pjtoadie and Gaede like this.
  10. khiladi

10,989 Messages
    1,460 Likes Received
    Callahan is a West Coast coach, who was brought in to improve the running game with a zone blocking scheme. He became the OC cause JG sucked at his own system and produced more than JG did in one year of the latter's offense in this cluster F. I don't get how this division of labor is going to work, especially for play-action and the routes for which they are going to target off of it. This inability to blend the passing game with a running game has been JGs worst example of his poor coaching, and now we are back to square one again.
  11. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,175 Messages
    1,433 Likes Received
    Werder said earlier it was his understanding that by the end of the year, Garrett and Callahan barely even spoke, if at all.
  12. khiladi

10,989 Messages
    1,460 Likes Received
    Probably only spoke on the head-set on game-day...
  13. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

3,091 Messages
    490 Likes Received
    Sidelines.
    jobberone likes this.
  14. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

37,723 Messages
    963 Likes Received
    Every coach that comes through here is expendable within a year or two except Garrett.
    lane, khiladi, Chocolate Lab and 2 others like this.
  15. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

26,557 Messages
    2,733 Likes Received
    That's a bad thing? At some point, you want to have your HC controlling his staff, don't you? I'd want the authority to expend somebody I didn't think was doing what I wanted sufficiently.
    Fletch and casmith07 like this.
  16. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,023 Messages
    982 Likes Received
    I think you've nailed it.
  17. bark

bark Well-Known Member

1,837 Messages
    650 Likes Received
    Co sign
    bysbox1 likes this.
  18. dragon_mikal

dragon_mikal Darth Jones strikes again! Zone Supporter

4,902 Messages
    867 Likes Received
    Callahan should be happy he still has a job.

As far as the Linehan hiring...it's a distraction and nothing more. Another bone thrown to the masses by Jerry and company to keep the majority of the fan base focused on anything but the real problems plaguing this franchise.
    pjtoadie likes this.
  19. Carolina Cowboy

Carolina Cowboy Active Member

302 Messages
    112 Likes Received
    I was thinking a Parcells in NY - God I can't believe I just made that comparison. Quick, where is the soap...
  20. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,311 Messages
    402 Likes Received
    Yup.

Another scapegoat bites the dust.