1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DMN: Report: Jason Garrett pulled trigger on Cowboys' coaching changes; Bill Callahan 'not thrilled'

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jobberone, Jan 30, 2014.

1. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,435 Messages
    334 Likes Received
    I believe it's a last ditch attempt on Garrett's part. This is his 4th year, so either he makes the playoffs or he's gone. Even if he makes the playoffs and exits early he's gone IMHO considering the payroll he's working with.
  2. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

12,072 Messages
    2,075 Likes Received
    Without Romo, Garrett's offense would be worse than it actually looks. Like I said, Callahan was working within Garrett's system on the passing game, meaning he was subjected to the limitations of Garrett's offense and probably Romo's injury. Callahan got better scoring in less yardage.
  3. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

12,072 Messages
    2,075 Likes Received
    Doesn't prove anything, because OL play is also contingent on play-calling and what your attempting to do. Maybe, just maybe the OL looked better because they had a guy that has actually coached a full offense before call plays with his zone-blocking scheme. The OL has always been Garrett's 'scapegoat', besides the Assistant Coach at the particular time, since he's been here.
  4. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,235 Messages
    4,185 Likes Received
    You've had experience. :)
  5. jobberone

38,235 Messages
    4,185 Likes Received
    LOL. I suppose it best I leave that alone. :)
    casmith07 likes this.
  6. jobberone

38,235 Messages
    4,185 Likes Received
    You just can't let go of this despite plenty of evidence that points to a problem not related to Xs and Os. I don't find it difficult to imagine Ryan being hard to work with although I don't know any specifics to be fair to him.
  7. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

39,244 Messages
    1,704 Likes Received
    All I know is, Ryan is kicking butt in NO while we're 31st. I like the bottom line.
  8. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    At some point?

I thought Garrett had full say from the start.

At least that's what many of his supporters have been claiming.
  9. trueblue1687

trueblue1687 Well-Known Member

1,672 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Each party to a contract reaches for the most favorable terms for themselves. Maybe he got a bit more money?? It was just a thought, itut who knows. I doubt Jerry's keeping him at his contract for spite though....must be some kind of plan...however strange It appears.
  10. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,098 Messages
    6,916 Likes Received
    This game you guys have of pretending everybody who defends the team does so for the same reasons....you know that's not very convincing, right? I don't know and can't answer to everything many of his supporters claim. I'm only able to try to be logically consistent with my own previous posts.

I've never thought Garrett had full say with his staff, and I don't really know how much control he's got now. I still think both the play caller and the DC moves were good for the team, though. And I think the HC ought to have a lot of latitude in assembling his staff. I don't get why people complain about the Linehan hiring.
    casmith07 likes this.
  11. jobberone

38,235 Messages
    4,185 Likes Received
    Again, it wasn't his coaching abilities that were the issue; at least that I know of. Maybe it was both but I think not. And you can't compare the situation in NO to the one here last year. You can't get blood from a turnip.
  12. jobberone

38,235 Messages
    4,185 Likes Received
    I was going to say read the bolded but I'll amend that to some people complain. It doesn't matter what the issue is or who it is.
    Idgit likes this.
  13. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

39,244 Messages
    1,704 Likes Received
    So getting along is more important than winning? And if the talent was not any good, why switch out coaches? Why then turn around and switch play callers again? According to you, it's the talent and not coaching.

You sound like Jerry Jones.
  14. brooksey1

brooksey1 Well-Known Member

1,473 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    Well if you read my post I also take out the Denver game because it was an anolomy. That drops us to middle of the pack. One great offensive performance does not count when it's was never repeated. I wish it was. Read your link... It moves us out of the top 10.

The problems are deeper than the defense. Maybe Linehan is the fix.
  15. TwentyOne

TwentyOne Well-Known Member

2,470 Messages
    103 Likes Received
    This guy should learn how to game plan, adjust during game time and call good plays at the right time. Then he shouldnt be worried about not being thrilled.

Who cares anyway. Fans werent thrilled about him either. I cant understand he is still under contract.
  16. rwalters31

rwalters31 Active Member

482 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    Hummm, food for thought. If you are right then Garrett tends to be one dimensional. This would explain his inability to call situational changes during the game. Outside of Jerry's inability to draft players then the following would always kept the Cowboys at 8-8 "He became the OC cause JG sucked at his own system and produced more than JG did in one year of the latter's offense in this cluster _".
    khiladi likes this.
  17. Little Jr

Little Jr Well-Known Member

2,731 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    Lol do you take out saints performance vs us or is ok since they put up 40+ one more time in the last game of the year vs bucs? Its easy to just make games disappear to fit ones argument. I didn't think we looked great on offense either. I used the same argument that our offense was scoring enough and the #s were skewed cause of defense and st scores. I was wrong lol. Just can't take games out to fit a arguement unless you go through all 32 teams or atleast the top 10 offenses and do the same to them also.
  18. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,101 Messages
    2,648 Likes Received
    Exactly..................cherry picking games to throw out has to be done across the board, not just for Dallas.
  19. Little Jr

Little Jr Well-Known Member

2,731 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    It would drop us to around 11 or 12. Still not bad especially considering you are taking the best offensive performance all year.
  20. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,599 Messages
    854 Likes Received
    LOL Reach much? Pass blocking was the greatest improvement, better footwork and balance was most evident.