1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Sean Lee: I don’t have a screw loose, ‘I have a passion for the game’

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Sep 19, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,526 Messages
    3,367 Likes Received
    By Jon Machota / Special Contributor
    jmachota@dallasnews.com
    4:26 pm on September 19, 2012 | Permalink

IRVING — Jason Garrett said Wednesday that Sean Lee’s intensity reminds him of some of the past middle linebackers in the NFL. Garrett said that with those players, “you almost feel like they have a little bit of a screw loose.”

Lee laughed when he was informed that Garrett made that comment.

“I don’t think I have a screw loose,” Lee said. “I think I have a passion for the game. I love playing football. I think the great middle linebackers that I’m trying to emulate are the guys that played with an unbelievable passion and are extremely active and find a way to get to the football no matter what, and want to be on the field no matter what.

“That’s something I really try to pride myself on. Obviously, I don’t see myself as a great linebacker but I’m trying to work and emulate guys who are great.”

Read more: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...rew-loose-i-have-a-passion-for-the-game.html/
  2. Pottsville Maroons

Pottsville Maroons Member

697 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I like Sean Lee more and more each day.
  3. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

3,464 Messages
    1,179 Likes Received
    Yeah, he's gonna have a good, long career. Looking forward to witness it. He's the Jason Witten of the defense.
  4. blackbull

blackbull Well-Known Member

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    He's better than Witten ever was.
  5. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

3,464 Messages
    1,179 Likes Received
    I wouldn't go that far. Witten is a living legend.
  6. CowboyMike

CowboyMike Stay Thirsty, My Friends

5,167 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    Hahaha no.
  7. blackbull

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    I hope you're being sarcastic. Witten is the most overrated Cowboy ever. I'm a fan of his too but He's always been a very good player. Not great. Just my opinion. Lee is dynamic and explosive.
  8. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Witten is a great traditional TE. There's no doubt about it. He also is a pro's pro in his approach to the game.
    Lee is at the start of a great career if things continue. I love his attitude and effort.
    Both are outstanding players. One is at the tail-end of his career and the other is just starting. This team needs more like them. There is no debate on that.
  9. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,947 Messages
    425 Likes Received
  10. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,989 Messages
    3,920 Likes Received
    Why is it people so often say how big a fan they are of a player right before they bash them? Do they think they're fooling the rest of us? "I'm a huge fan, but that guy I'm a huge fan of, he's massively overrated. More overrated than any other Cowboy, ever. Just my opinion. Still a huge fan, though, let's make that clear."

Just your opinion? Got it.

Your opinion is wrong.
  11. blackbull

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received

Agreed.
  12. blackbull

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    I like Wit for the reasons jnday listed. I guess I would call him a great traditional tight end but in this new age he's just a very good tight end. Love his toughness though. Makes too many mistakes also. Yes, I'm a fan.
  13. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,989 Messages
    3,920 Likes Received
    Cool, then, that you can be such a fan of a player who's ability you're unable to evaluate accurately.

Meanwhile, this good player is third all time receptions leader on the list of NFL TEs, ever. Good thing those untraditional mistakes don't get in the way of catching the ball too often. Or in the way of blocking, for that matter.

I guess there's always the false start penalties to complain about. People totally overrate his ability to not get false start penalties.
  14. CowboyMike

CowboyMike Stay Thirsty, My Friends

5,167 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    Agreed, my friend.

A lot of people saying, "Witten isn't good compared to the new age tight end" are really highly mistaken.

Witten was one of three players to usher in the new age of the tight end. He was the first wave. Witten, Gates, and Gonzales each had monster years in 2004, prompting the evolution of the TE into what it is today.

There's a reason Mike Mayock was constantly saying Gronkowski reminded him of Witten so much.

I don't understand why guys want a "new age" tight end, anyway. You mean a large receiver that can't block? That's not a tight end. Give me the guy that can block and be an impactful receiver over Jimmy Graham any day.
  15. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,947 Messages
    425 Likes Received
    I tend to agree that the talent on this team has been slightly overrated for years now... Witten is a slightly overrated blocker but his overall game has been outstanding.
  16. JPostSam

JPostSam Active Member

992 Messages
    210 Likes Received
    witten doesn't get the appreciation that other tight ends get because he doesn't market himself like a diva -- but also because his work has always seemed unspectacular.

he blocks a lot, which takes away some of his opportunities to make big plays. miles austin and terrell owens were more long-ball threats, so witten worked shorter routes and scored less than some tight ends. and his gait makes him look slower than he is.

but he contributes to the team more, and more consistently, than almost every other tight end in history.
  17. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :laugh2: