1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DMN: Several recent Dallas Cowboys decisions indicate organizational myopia

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by jobberone, May 30, 2014.

1. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,618 Messages
    2,511 Likes Received
    The point of the article was they were myopic and didn't see it. They clearly did and that is what they are arguing about. Try and keep up the counts argued and quit trying to win minutiae.
  2. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,284 Messages
    2,469 Likes Received
    I suppose we can split hairs over the meaning of myopia or which group--fans or media--knows less, but the fact remains, the Cowboys haven't been particularly well-managed in recent seasons. Maybe they're getting better. The draft classes seem stronger. That's a debatable point.
    TwoDeep3 and daveferr33 like this.
  3. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,686 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    Holy bat**** irony.

And I really don't need you telling me how to post. Your fixation with me used to be cute, but it's really gotten old.
  4. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

9,024 Messages
    2,034 Likes Received
    Vikings give up that many picks for Walker?
    Saints giving up their whole draft for Ricky?
    Redskins giving 3 RD1 and 1 RD2 pick for RG3?
    Seahawks giving up a 2nd for Matt Flynn?
    Ravens taking a RD6 pick for Bouldin?
    Cleveland drafting Manziel and then because media were crying the Browns told Manziel he needs to start acting like a backup?
    Colts paying a RD1 pick for Richiardson?
    Dallas passing on Moss?

People make too much out of these 2 situations in Dallas. Carr costed 50mil, thats what the going rate for a CB was in FA. Finnegan got the game thing. In the draft for a CB you pay wholesale in FA you pay retail. On Claiborne, all the media were praising Dallas for drafting Claiborne. Now they are bashing them for it? Talk about blind hypocrisy.
  5. FuzzyLumpkins

16,618 Messages
    2,511 Likes Received
    It's not my fascination. It's a valid point that you as usual ignore and you act like this anytime I try and talk to you.

They are not arguing about what you are claiming.

Well lets look at the original post.

You going to argue the point?
  6. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,517 Messages
    879 Likes Received
    What a lame argument.

Your idea of what we intended to run and Kiffin's idea were different.

That's what happened
    visionary likes this.
  7. NJ22

NJ22 Well-Known Member

1,121 Messages
    894 Likes Received
    Seriously. For anyone who thinks you need an extensive football understanding to be a football writer, I give you two words....Calvin Watkins! Lol.
    Idgit likes this.
  8. FuzzyLumpkins

16,618 Messages
    2,511 Likes Received
    The corners were not that bad. They just had no inside coverage. Early in the year Bruce Carter didn't help on the weakside but once he got that cleared up, that side started doing better. Except when Alsheron Jeffrey got single coverage on Scandrick. That was ugly.

Ernie Sims and Cam Lawrence never provided help out there. Teams would just run routes inside on them with impunity. I remember all those posts, drags and deep ins that Carr had to chase. Garcon running through the middle of the underneath coverage and no resistance whatsoever. Carr looks terrible. OMG HE GOT $50m!!!!!!
  9. FuzzyLumpkins

16,618 Messages
    2,511 Likes Received
    Our idea? Those are just quotes of him.

It is moot because he is not the DC anymore. I think the discrepancy between what he said and did is at least partly why he is not the DC anymore.
  10. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

9,024 Messages
    2,034 Likes Received
    Bingo. Carr's side was the weakside last yr. No suprise that thats the side that had the musical chairs rotation all yr long. LBer and S. 4 Lbers played next to Carr and 4 S' played behind him

LB Durant, Wilber, Hollomon, Cameron
    S Allen, Wilcox, Hamilton, Heath
  11. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,135 Messages
    7,850 Likes Received
    It's like you're in my head. I wasn't implying anything I didn't expressly state. We were obviously bad on defense, but it wasn't because of myopia.

On a related point, though, it'll be interesting to see how we implement whatever the plan actually is any better under Marinelli. The defensive roster ought to be in a little better shape to do so going into this season, anyway.
  12. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    How can anyone argue they haven't been myopic? They've changed coordinators, schemes, and/or playcallers every single year.
  13. FuzzyLumpkins

16,618 Messages
    2,511 Likes Received
    July cannot get here soon enough. I want to see what they try to do.
    Idgit likes this.
  14. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,904 Messages
    2,375 Likes Received
    Why am I not surprised ?
  15. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,686 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    The original post that I responded to... Sorry for the lack of specificity.

Are you guys seriously going to claim Idgit was referring to what we intended to do in February, when that cited article was written? Come on.
  16. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,904 Messages
    2,375 Likes Received
    On CZ that is the definition of success if we do it
    If the eagles or giants were doing it, it would be myopic
    Chocolate Lab likes this.
  17. FuzzyLumpkins

16,618 Messages
    2,511 Likes Received
    And thus me originally going with the missing the forest for the tree vane in my original comment.

His original point was that the team did see the need for man coverages back last offseason as evidenced by Kiffin himself talking about it. The retort was that they didn't play those coverages so he brought up the injury to Claiborne and all those LB, DL etc. It reconciles the difference.

You got it now? Kiffin saying those things 14 months ago is what it is. He got removed. If you want to move the goalposts to their not seeing Kiffin for what he is then go ahead.
  18. Idgit

32,135 Messages
    7,850 Likes Received
    That's applying a criticism in a much larger sense, and, while I still don't think those changes were due to nearsightedness, it certainly is reason to criticize. We've been completely unable to settling on a coaching staff.

We're talking here, though, about the specific decision to switch to this particular defense and whether the team did it with nearsighted disregard for how it fit the players already on the squad.

Yes, seriously. Of course seriously. The question was regarding what the plan was in making the defensive switch. That's pretty clear both in Rainer's original criticism and in everything I posted in regard to that criticism. What's unclear to me is how that got disconnected here in your responses.

If I'm ever able to discern a logical pattern in how you decide to believe the incongruous things your posting history suggests you actually believe, visionary, then I'll be better able to guess for you as to what might deviate from the pattern enough to surprise you. As it is, your guess is as good as mine.
  19. Idgit

32,135 Messages
    7,850 Likes Received
    Me, too. I hope it doesn't suck.
    Vanilla2 and FuzzyLumpkins like this.
  20. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,686 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    The article doesn't even specify man coverages. It talks about what Seattle runs, which is really more a press Cover 3.

Kiffin saying one thing and doing another isn't particularly convincing. Sorry.

And I'm not the one moving the goalposts here.

Because you said we were "reportedly" running a certain system, when we clearly never ran it that way in games. You can say you were referring to the intent in the offseason, and blame it on the "injuries to the CBs," (all one of em) but that's not what you implied. I suspect you know that though and you're just backpedaling.
    dreghorn2 likes this.