1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Sherrington: Why Dallas Cowboys need to draft a zone-read effecient quarterback

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Nov 6, 2013.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

25,859 Messages
    191 Likes Received
    Columnist Kevin Sherrington answered questions in a chat Wednesday. Here are some highlights.

Question: There seems to be a bunch of really good college QB's this year that will be graduating or coming out. Do the Cowboys need to start thinking about a under study for Romo?

Kevin Sherrington: The Cowboys should have thought of that a long time ago. Jerry doesn't like to draft people who aren't going to play right away, and QBs generally don't. Besides the fact that Green Bay made a cottage industry out of drafting QBs, holding on to them for a couple of years and then getting a couple of nice draft picks for them in trades, it makes sense to draft them occasionally. I also think that it would have helped the Cowboys to draft a QB who could run the zone read. For one thing, it would give them somebody to run it in practice in preparation for the teams that do. It would also give the Cowboys a different look for one or two series a half. What if in the end of the Lions game the Cowboys could have run the zone read on that last series? For a team that struggles so much to run the ball, they could use help anywhere.

Continue reading...
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2013
    w8lifter likes this.
  2. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,609 Messages
    299 Likes Received
    I'm all for it.
  3. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

3,738 Messages
    223 Likes Received
    no. By the time we actually get one that can play the Zone read will got he way of the wildcat. Sorry mobile pocket passer is the way to go,a QB that actually pass 1st and only relies on his legs to extend plays and escape pressure. Run first QBs seem to be fragile or when a team contains them in the pocket they suck.
    mcompact and EGG like this.
  4. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,550 Messages
    1,551 Likes Received
    The day this league goes full read-zone is the day I stop watching.

I can watch high school offenses on Friday nights.
    mcompact and ringmaster like this.
  5. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,814 Messages
    1,239 Likes Received
    He's already on the roster.

Dwayne Harris played QB in the "wildcat" at ECU.

Sherrington, like most of these other guys, is another idiot.
  6. kramskoi

kramskoi Well-Known Member

1,315 Messages
    119 Likes Received
  7. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,992 Messages
    4,848 Likes Received
    Man, this might be the dumbest blurb I've read in some time. Should have brought in an heir apparent 'a long time ago?' Green Bay's 'cottage industry' was how long ago? A zone read QB taking one or two series from Tony Romo per half? *At the end* of the Lions game? He can't have been serious, can he?
  8. kramskoi

kramskoi Well-Known Member

1,315 Messages
    119 Likes Received
    Right up there with the Von Miller nonsense a few weeks ago...
  9. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,939 Messages
    3,389 Likes Received
    No way we were pulling Romo to do that.
  10. Illini88228

Illini88228 Well-Known Member

1,194 Messages
    99 Likes Received
  11. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,688 Messages
    1,492 Likes Received
    I'm all for getting our last place pass defense fixed. Last I knew this was a passing league. Do the math.