1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Stephen Jones unveils new plan: Dallas unlikely to sign players over 30

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,461 Messages
    6,026 Likes Received
    Better late than never I guess.

lol

Last preseason Jerry Jones was asked in an interview why he thought the defense would be improved. He rambled for 5 minutes about how he expects the defense to be healthier. During his exit interview with the media 3 months ago, Ware was asked what was the problem with the defense....he half-heartedly said "idk....too many injuries". The excuses never stop from the mgmt down to the players. Here we are another season on the horizon and there are still resting their laurels on the injury bug not striking again smh.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  2. ndanger

ndanger Active Member

2,298 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    This is a top ten post in the history of this forum...........
    Idgit and Doc50 like this.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    Really do not think when the majority of starters on defense are injured it is an excuse but a reality. DL, LB core, CB and safety key injuries plagued them. How many DL players came in and started the following week? Injuries matter and I hope Dallas can find a way to lessen some of these injuries such as hamstring injuries. Some injuries there is little you can do but hope.
  4. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,785 Messages
    642 Likes Received
    In 17 years I have been searching for something from Jones that made sense. If they are true to their word this represents a significant shift in being competitive that's sustainable. Best thing I have heard in years.
  5. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

2,977 Messages
    154 Likes Received
    true, but as parcells said, are they progress stoppers? with waters it was after draft, FA, and injuries. and we thought we still had a chance. right now. I wouldn't sign him
  6. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,728 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    I like the idea, but I will believe it when I see it. I believe the cap is the only thing holding the Jones boys in check, not some new philosophy that took 20 years to figure out. They are not exactly fast learners. 2017 will be the first year they can really test their new found theory of cap management. When we cut Romo and Witten that year, we will actually have a decent amount of cap room to play with. We will see how they behave then.
  7. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    Not all cases is it a progress stopper some guys especially late rd picks are not going to come in and start and some will not make it at all. You can't get everything in the draft sometime you have to go out and get players to come in and start. You are still out there to compete it is not fair to the rest of the players if all you are doing is giving up before the season starts. You expect them to bust their butts knowing they don't stand a chance in hell? Defense rotates a lot along the line you can get a young player rotating in and out of a lineup with a vet player. I think the key is to avoid longer term deals where you end up locked into a older player for big money.
  8. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,598 Messages
    1,022 Likes Received
    I still want Jared Allen. If we're going to sign someone over 30, a guy who has never missed a game should get consideration. We need to improve enough to eek out two more wins to get into the playoffs, and Allen will help. Plus, it will give us a couple of years to draft and develop Ware's replacement.

I just want the Cowboys back in the playoffs, whatever it takes.
  9. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    I just do not see 3 year 30 mill Allen has talked about.
  10. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,980 Messages
    1,121 Likes Received
    Isn't he merely a backup QB? Yep.
  11. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,598 Messages
    1,022 Likes Received
    Yeah, if he digs his heels in on that he'll probably go to Oakland, a mystery bidder, or retire.
  12. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    If Oak is the highest bidder I'm sure he will. I have never felt that Dallas would offer as much as others so never really got hope up for Allen. I would like to have him but not at all cost.
  13. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,146 Messages
    1,857 Likes Received
    I think winning will solve that.

:D

When it happens...
    WoodysGirl likes this.
  14. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,461 Messages
    2,304 Likes Received
    So, was this really news worthy?

Hey, I decided I will not ever buy a car older than three years.

Seems like something Jerry-atric would do to get his leathery face in front of a camera.

Now lets see them stick to it.
  15. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,225 Messages
    7,047 Likes Received
    Absolutely! Here's to getting more Ws....when it happens. ;) :D
  16. stasheroo

18,146 Messages
    1,857 Likes Received
    It's in reference to reaction when things aren't black and white and crystal clear, which occurs more often than not.

I have no problems with respect and moderation, but if it crosses over to control? Then I'd have a big problem.

That crosses over into exactly what I'm talking about. That crosses a boundary.
    Corso likes this.
  17. stasheroo

18,146 Messages
    1,857 Likes Received
    And that would be opinion not based on any facts.

When the wins happen and people still complain, it might have validity. After three 8-8 seasons, there are no wins there to support this conjecture.
    Risen Star likes this.
  18. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

39,724 Messages
    1,937 Likes Received
    I would agree except that he has nothing to do with the product they've put on the field. Save money when you can actually start winning. Who cares about 30 plus contracts when you cant' even get your current crop to the freaking playoffs. And this is not directed at you, it's just that people think this is such a cool idea, when it's not. What would be cool is if Jones and his crop of crap would actually win first, then figure out how to managed your team.
  19. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

3,048 Messages
    1,083 Likes Received
    Good luck to you. You're going to need it.
  20. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

3,048 Messages
    1,083 Likes Received
    So it's ok to be a blind homer, but it's not ok to be unhappy about the current (last 13 years or so) state of the Cowboys. Just because someone doesn't drink the koolaid doesn't mean they are what you said.
    WoodysGirl likes this.