1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Tony Romo 'pushing' Jason Garrett to call offense that allowed Cowboys to rally

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Gemini Dolly, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Gemini Dolly

Gemini Dolly Well-Known Member

6,721 Messages
    738 Likes Received
    By Jon Machota / Special Contributor
    jmachota@dallasnews.com

During Sunday’s 29-24 loss to the New York Giants, the Cowboys might have played their best and worst offensive football of the season.
    After three Tony Romo interceptions turned into a 23-0 New York Giants lead at Cowboys Stadium, the Cowboys rallied to pull ahead 24-23 with 3:43 left in the third quarter.

Between early in the second quarter and late in the third, the Cowboys scored on four-of-five possessions. The only possession they did not score on was when they received the ball with 13 seconds remaining before halftime and Romo kneeled out the clock.
    According to Romo, he was pleased with the type of offense that Jason Garrett called to get Dallas back in the game.

“We really did a lot of things that I liked,” Romo said Wednesday on a conference call with media members in Atlanta. “I’m pushing coach to kind of get the offense more in that mode a little bit, which is nice. But styles make fights sometimes so we’ll look at different opponents and see different things.”

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...ml/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
  2. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,611 Messages
    2,168 Likes Received
    I have been waiting patiently for that.......
  3. burntricersx

burntricersx Member

506 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This is one of those things that make you go hmmm.
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    Why? Romo should be talking about the things he wants to do and things he feels comfortable with leading up to the game and within the game. Drew Brees does, hell him and Payton work on putting the game plan in place leading up to the game.
  5. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,293 Messages
    1,245 Likes Received
    Show me QB that wouldn't like the throw the ball 60 times a game and completely ignore the run game.
  6. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

6,143 Messages
    647 Likes Received
    Except that the Romo defenders keep pointing out the poor run game as one of the myriad of reasons #9 has sucked this year.
  7. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    Poor running game can hurt you. Hell Rodgers was getting the snot kicked out of him vs Seattle because the Seahawks were not concerned with run at all and just went after Rodgers. 7 sacks in the 1st half of the game. 2nd half GB comes out running the ball more and got themselfs back into the game and got the pressure off of Rodgers.

There are some ints that are not on Romo, WR have to run the correct routs because the QB must throw that ball before the break and he has to rely on the fact that WR is going to be where he should be.

Some of the ints are on Romo and he has to do a better job of throwing it away or even taking the sack instead of trying to force the ball in.

There are times to take risk and times to live for the next play.
  8. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,451 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    can they also avoid the mind freeze that allowed the 23-0 deficit?
  9. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,293 Messages
    1,245 Likes Received
    I think one of Romo's biggest strengths is also one of his biggest weaknesses - he never gives up on a play.

The guy could never be a "game manager" type QB. If you're going to win a game, Romo is probably going to be a key part of it... which also means sometimes when you lose, he's a big part of that as well.
  10. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    Yes by not making big mistakes early on in a ball game. Every team is going to make mistakes with in a game no one is playing a perfect game. Cowboys just need to limit these early mistakes and not get themselfs in a big hole.
  11. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    I agree at times he trys to do too much, Romo himself has said he has to do a better job of not trying to do too much. He is capable of doing that heck he had 10 ints on the season last year vs 31 TD passes he can limit his mistakes.

On the other end he has players who need to run their routs and execute the way it is drawn up. Guys have to be able to make sight adjustments so that they are on the same page with Romo. We can sit here and put it all on Romo but fact is he can't run the routs for his WR.
  12. burntricersx

burntricersx Member

506 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    15 carries for 19 yards, 1 TD, 1 Fumble Loss, long of 5 yards. You can't ignore what doesn't exist.
  13. ddh33

ddh33 Active Member

4,934 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    It was pretty simple to see from home that Tony decided to ride Miles and Witten. For my money, those are two pretty good horses for a QB. Use the other guys as necessary, of course. I just think there is a lot to be said for trust and confidence. Romo has it in those two.
  14. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,144 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    I agree with Romo...
  15. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,454 Messages
    171 Likes Received
    It wasn't coincidence that when he started relying on players who can catch the ball consistently we moved the chains and scored. The recipe for success might be avoid Dez unless he is wide open. He seemed to to that to T.O. when he continuously dropped the ball .....
  16. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,509 Messages
    877 Likes Received
    Romo needs to worry about playin better. That's it
  17. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

5,918 Messages
    1,592 Likes Received
    Funny how Romo did play better, once he told JG what plays to call. Maybe it's JG who needs to learn how to call better plays for the players he has.
  18. DezBRomo9

DezBRomo9 Not enough blitzing.. Zone Supporter

1,638 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Honestly, if we could actually force some turnover we would be a much better offensive team. But when we are forced to drive the ball 60 yards just to get in field goal range every srive, it doesn't help us at all..this defense can keep us in a game but if they improved that, they could win us games.
  19. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I just shook my head when I read about Tony Romo enjoying being "in that mode". It's just more proof that Tony Romo isn't wired to be a champion. A very significant reason why can be traced back to how he has been coached by Jason Garrett. Bill Parcells has been proven to be exactly right about how Tony Romo needs to be coached.

Bill Callahan just stated the Cowboys never had the opportunity to establish the running game against the Giants, because they were in catchup mode. Why did that happen? Dallas only rushed 8 times in the first half, and Callahan mentioned this. Callahan wants the rushing attempts high, and I think he would like to run it around 30 times per game, imo. He talked about it when Murray was running, too. Callahan was pleased with the Carolina game, because the rushing attempts were there. Furthermore, he was pleased with how hard Jones and Tanner ran in that game. The game wasn't given away through reckless or sloppy turnovers, either. For Callahan, it's the rushing attempts that matter. The yards are going to come.

Here is Bill Callahan: (Talking Carolina game)

"I told Coach Garrett, it was one of those 'grinder' games -- when you come out of the game, it's not so much how many yards you make, but how many attempts," offensive line coach Bill Callahan said. "Because the attempts add up to T.O.P., time of possession."

"I think we achieved our goal of rushing over 30 attempts in this game, so in that respect, it's positive," Callahan said. "We had those rush attempts, plus the completions. It's a good formula for success."

"I thought both backs (Jones and Tanner) ran hard," Callahan said. "We just needed to provide a few more holes and opportunities for them. But it was one of those games where the box was loaded. Overall, it was a good effort. When they take one thing away, then you have something else, and that was the passing game."

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/10/21/4352222/cowboys-running-game-delivers.html#storylink=cpy

If the Cowboys don't rush the football around 30 times against a very suspect Atlanta rush defense, they have no shot. In fact, it will get ugly for the Cowboys.
  20. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,915 Messages
    639 Likes Received
    "I thought both backs ran hard," Callahan said. "We just needed to provide a few more holes and opportunities for them. But it was one of those games where the box was loaded. Overall, it was a good effort. When they take one thing away, then you have something else, and that was the passing game."

We need to run more play action in those scenarios, make them respect the pass to set up some runs...