1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Wade Phillips: 'I went out with the same winning percentage as Tom Landry'

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Juke99, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Wade Phillips: 'I went out with the same winning percentage as Tom Landry'

Former head coach of the Dallas Cowboys Wade Phillips was interviewed on WXTG (102.1 The Game) in Virginia Beach on the Bruce Smith show. Here are some highlights:

Was it unnecessary to be fired mid-season?

Oh, you know I don't look at things that way. Once things are done, that's history. Whatever's happened has happened and go forward. So, I can't look back at anything except I worked as hard as I could and did the best job I could and it was somebody else's decision. And I'm always going to do that: I'm going to work as hard as I can and try to do the best job I can.

read more... http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/11/wade-phillips-i-went-out-with.html
  2. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I never post after posting a new article...

But one read of this and ya hear the same attitude that killed this franchise these past years.
  3. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,698 Messages
    2,049 Likes Received
    It was time for him to go. But I'd hardly say two division titles and a blowout playoff win killed the franchise.

Nevertheless, we are better off going forward without Wade....and I do wish him good luck.
  4. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received

Division titles mean zilch.

The blowout playoff win was nullified by the next blow out playoff loss.

Fact is, he wasted a ton of talent. The final grade is determined by how much he got out of the talent...did he coach the team to its potential.

With the exception of the playoff win over the Eagles, a team Dallas controlled all season, the team folded for every big game and every big moment under his guidance.

His stay here was, in my opinion, a killer because he wasted an immensely talented roster.
  5. tigertrac

tigertrac Member

55 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The fact he has the audacity to compare himself to Tom Landry on any level is laughable and borders on blasphemy. Landry coached 5 teams to the Super Bowl and won two. You've won what...one playoff game out of six as a head coach during your career??? You're a decent defensive coordinator Wade; thats it. You couldnt carry Landry's jock as a head coach in your wildest dreams. The Cowboys have moved on. Do us a favor and do the same.
  6. koolaid

koolaid Drink Me

1,764 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    One of the biggest problems with this team is that it gets so overrated. Before the season people were saying they wouldn't trade Felix for CJ. Yeah Wade didn't get the results we hoped he would and he has been punished, but I don't think our players were all they were talked up to be either.
  7. DFWJC

22,698 Messages
    2,049 Likes Received
    True dat
  8. DFWJC

22,698 Messages
    2,049 Likes Received
    That is also true. I do think the talent here has been overrated for some time now. But the talent is good enough if the right button are pushed.
    Yeah, those CJ/Felix comments were almost as dumb as any Wade/Landry comments. Neither are comparable.
  9. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,723 Messages
    1,359 Likes Received
    It sounds to me like Wade is marketing his Cowboys head coach season record to other teams. While around here, anything less than a Super Bowl is considered a disappointing season, there are several teams that suck year after year that would be perfectly happy with a 10-6 or better record even if it means few or no playoff wins.

I don't think Wade stops to realize that while the players may respect him quite a lot, the fans and media consider his time in Dallas a failure outside of one playoff game.

-Reality
  10. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,251 Messages
    1,171 Likes Received
    All I have to say about this interview is :laugh1:
  11. Cowboy Bill Watts

Cowboy Bill Watts Member

706 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    "It took me a long time to get another head coaching job and we went 34-22, which is pretty good. I went out with the same winning percentage as Tom Landry, so I don't feel bad about my head coaching career but I think they're going to look at me more as a coordinator and that's fine with me. I just want to coach."

i never really figured wade as being arrogant, but this is the height. so on any given day, a franchise hires phillips instead of landry? absurd
  12. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,860 Messages
    2,584 Likes Received
    As someone would say... On the nosey.

I first I thought, "How would Wade say something so incredibly dumb?"

Then I thought, "Oh it's Wade Phillips."
  13. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I think a bigger statement is that he KNOWS what Landry's winning percentage was.

It's like he goes into the Football Encyclopedia to justify his tenure as head coach.
  14. jgboys1

jgboys1 Well-Known Member

3,741 Messages
    57 Likes Received
    Remember Wade's playoff record is 2-2.

We won the 1st playoff game before we lost to the giant in the 2007 playoff game.

Wade counted the bye before that playoff lose as a win.
  15. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    That comment, said it all.

He was more about protecting his record and coming up with sugar coatings than is at all healthy.

How can a coach demand more from his team when he says stuff like the bye was actually a playoff win.

A big hook should have come and pulled Wade out of the press conference when he said that...never to be seen again.
  16. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,926 Messages
    2,880 Likes Received
    What does matter? I'd like an objective measure so I know going forward.
  17. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,618 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    Wade is still in denial and using statistics to downplay his and the team's shortcomings.
  18. morieeel

morieeel Member

433 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sentiments exactly
  19. Joshmvii

Joshmvii Cowboys baby!

2,642 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    The only thing that matters are the big playoff wins and championships. Everybody knows our 2007 and 2009 teams had enough talent to win the playoff games that knocked them out, and both times the demeanor of our coach showed through in the way we played.
  20. jgboys1

jgboys1 Well-Known Member

3,741 Messages
    57 Likes Received
    You did not like his post game speach......"Aw shucks, we'll get'em next time."

How can that not motivate you?