News: DMN: Why Choice is still a Cowboy, even though teams were interested in trade

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Oct 19, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Everything is everything... Staff Member

70,231 Messages
    11,576 Likes Received

SportsDayDFW sports | Bio
    8:21 PM on Tue., Oct. 18, 2011 | Permalink

Tashard Choice is still with the Cowboys after they failed to make a deadline-day trade for the third consecutive season.

Jerry Jones said Tuesday he was contacted by two teams who were interested in obtaining the fourth-year running back. The Cowboys didn't pull the trigger on a deal, in part because they don't consider Choice to be an expendable asset after Felix Jones suffered a left high-ankle sprain Sunday that is expected to sideline him for two to four weeks.

Read the rest:
  2. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,368 Messages
    5,186 Likes Received
    I don't agree with the strategy outlined here.

Aren't they carrying 4 running backs on this roster?

Would they not be able to manage for a week or two with the tandem of Murray and Philip Tanner?

Could they not trade Choice and bring in a 3rd running back for a week or two?

If you don't trust him, why is Tanner on the active roster?

They had an opportunity to trade Choice and get something for him next year and instead did not act and now will watch him walk away after the season and get nothing in return.
  3. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,584 Messages
    1,340 Likes Received
    :bang2: :bang2: :bang2: :bang2: :bang2: :bang2: :bang2:

Jerry you *******
  4. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

23,470 Messages
    2,308 Likes Received
    What were they going to get for him? A late round pick? A conditional late round pick? I doubt any team was offering anything worthwhile. They are better off keeping him.

No, I don't think they could make do with Murrary and Tanner for a couple of weeks.

They are holding on to Tanner because they feel they may lose him off the practice squad. He has not shown enough to be an asset right now to Dallas, but they don't want to gamble some other team claiming him. He has shown enough to be a long term asset and replace Choice next year.
  5. stasheroo

22,368 Messages
    5,186 Likes Received
    Likely no better than a 7th rounder, but I view that as better than the nothing they'll get next year.

Than I question the 'wisdom' of keeping four running backs on the roster.

I hope the results are worth it. I've always felt that running back was one of the few positions where rookies can make an early impact.
  6. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

23,470 Messages
    2,308 Likes Received
    I would too if Felix was not hurt. That changes the worth. Choice is worth more now than a 7th rounder next year.

Okay. I think the next couple of games will show why they kept 4 guys.

It is still early. Tanner may yet make an impact on the team this season. And Murrary may make more of an impact as well. I think all three will be used the next couple of games while Felix heals up.
  7. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    A 7th rounder may be better than potentially getting nothing for him next year, but that's not the only consideration. We still have to get through this year and the team may feel he is more valuable for that purpose than a 7th rounder would be.

I understand the situation with Tanner. Liking his potential and worrying about him not making waivers to put on the practice squad is not the same as saying he is ready to play now.
  8. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

9,349 Messages
    693 Likes Received
    jerry overvaluing choice syndrome. He is a 3rd string runningback. Heck if someone gave use a 7th take it and run. Murray looked more impressive than choice did the last 2 years here.
  9. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,661 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    Will Choice be a RFA or UFA? If it's RFA, won't we get a comp pick if he signs elsewhere?
  10. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,680 Messages
    1,626 Likes Received
    You can blame Felix' brittleness for still having Choice around.
  11. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

25,135 Messages
    2,102 Likes Received
    As I said Monday and Tuesday the moment Felix went down there was really no realistic shot that Choice was going to be dealt unless someone came in just willing to completely overpay for him.
  12. stasheroo

22,368 Messages
    5,186 Likes Received
    I wonder how Jerry Jones publicly stating that we were shopping him and then knowing that Felix's injury is the only reason he's still here will affect Choice's attitude?
  13. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

6,337 Messages
    1,938 Likes Received
    Why blame Jerrry? I thought this was JG's team and no players are on this team he did not want.
  14. stasheroo

22,368 Messages
    5,186 Likes Received
    Because Jerry's the guy who never met a microphone he didn't like and felt compelled to publicly announce that they were looking to trade Choice.

If that was done in private, the player never need know until after a deal is completed.

At that point, you no longer have to worry about hurt feelings potentially turning into bad attitude - like we have to now.

But again, some people just have to speak to hear the sound of their own voice...
  15. poke

poke the older I get the better I was

2,574 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    i never expected Choice ( or anybody else ) to be traded.

i dont really want anybody to have to learn the system on the go.

stick with what you got, keep coaching em up.

it was only 2 seasons ago Choice helped this team a lot when all the other RB's were hurt.

To me those are the decisions you make before training camp is over. if you are forced into it due to injuries thats one thing but to jostle the roster around just because you can makes no sense to me.
  16. JoeCorrado

JoeCorrado Active Member

1,972 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    /\ this /\

Maybe they are hoping for a great supplemental pick in 2013? :rolleyes: