1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN's JJT:Quincy welcomes what Testaverde will bring

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Charles, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Charles

Charles Benched

3,409 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Quincy welcomes what Testaverde will bring

Cowboys QB eager to learn from veteran, go head to head

01:24 AM CDT on Friday, June 4, 2004

By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News

[IMG]
    Will Bill Parcells turn to quarterback Quincy Carter this season ... or look in another direction?

IRVING –
    Quincy Carter said he doesn't fear a quarterback competition.

It's the nature of the NFL.

Besides, he's used to it.

Last year, Chad Hutchinson was supposedly poised to take his job in training camp. Three months ago, Drew Henson was being hailed as the Cowboys' next quarterback.

Now, Carter will be competing with Vinny Testaverde, who signed a one-year contract with Dallas on Thursday that will pay him $1.1 million in base salary this season and as much as $5 million if he reaches certain incentives.

The New York Jets released Testaverde on Tuesday.

"If you win, you play. If you lose, you sit on the bench," Carter said Thursday. "Everybody understands that.

"The one thing I know is that Jerry Jones and Coach Parcells have always been straightforward with me. I am the starter and I'm going to fulfill my duties and do everything in my power to continue to improve as a quarterback and be the starter."

Carter, 16-16 as a starter (including 0-1 in the playoffs), passed for more than 3,300 yards with 17 touchdowns and 21 interceptions last year as the Cowboys went 10-6 and advanced to the playoffs for the first time since 1999.

Carter said he's looking forward to learning as much as he can from Testaverde, while competing with the two-time Pro Bowl quarterback for the starting job.

But he doesn't want to divide the locker room.

"I want to make sure our team understands that I'm one of the leaders of this team and that this competition should make everyone better," he said. "It shouldn't cause any dissension because we're all going to benefit from Vinny being here."

Carter could benefit the most.

In his first three seasons, Carter has never had a proven veteran backup to help him dissect sophisticated coverages or advise where to throw the ball when his first two options are covered.

The last time Carter had a veteran backup, he was a freshman at Georgia. Mike Bobo mentored Carter, and he had a terrific freshman season.

Testaverde has said he's looking forward to having a good working relationship with Carter, Henson and Tony Romo.

He had a good relationship with New York's Chad Pennington, who has developed into one of the league's top quarterbacks.

"I don't think you try to force anything," Testaverde said. "You just be yourself and hopefully it works out. I'm pretty easy to get along with. Hopefully, we can work together to make each other better players and that will make us a better team."
  2. kidcrook

kidcrook Member

820 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I can't wait for the season to start so we can get some insightful interviews from all parties involved. I would really like to hear how they all feel about this in detail...
  3. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This is good for the TEAM to have Vinnie as the backup and ready to play if he's injured. No way was Vinnie brought in going on 41 to be the starter. They can battle it out and at the end of the day it will be what it is today.

If Chad, Drew or Romo were thrown in there its another LA Clipper lottery pick.
  4. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,744 Messages
    2,419 Likes Received
    I told a friend last night that JJT's next article would be this very subject. I swear the guy is his publicity agent. He's good at it though.
  5. jay cee

jay cee Active Member

2,900 Messages
    0 Likes Received

What else would he write about? Isn't everyone talking about the qb signing? Why should JJT write about something different than everyone else?

What I found funny was the difference in the tone of JJT's piece and that Lebreton guy that Qcard also posted.

Talk about two very different spins on the subject.
  6. Hostile

118,744 Messages
    2,419 Likes Received
    I haven't read the other one yet. I know the press was going to be all over the story. I'm talking about I knew his was going to be Carter welcomes the competition and blah blah blah. I'd have offered you 5 to 1 odds on it. I wonder how Mickey's article today will appear. I bet I can guess. It's like they are polar opposites.
  7. jay cee

jay cee Active Member

2,900 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Gil Lebreton's article is in the Spagnola vein I would say. I have always said that you can spin almost any story in the manner that you want, and these two articles are prime examples.
  8. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    If an article comes out in which Quincy welcomes Vinny to the fold, its because the reporter is Quincy's press agent. If Quincy had came out and said some negative things about the aquisition, then Quincy would have been a head case and JJT would have gotten the scoop. And when the Cowboys aquired Keyshawn Johnson, I'm sure JJT only went to get Antonio Bryant's reaction because he's somehow Antonio's press agent ... not because its his job.

The differenct between JJT and Spagnola and LeBarton is that JJT actually gets interviews from players and plays the role of a beat reporter (aside from his Q&A extras for CowboysPlus). Spagnola and LeBarton play the role of editorialists (Mickey used to be a beat reporter, but hasn't played that role since Parcells arrived and his sources have seemingly dried up). Basically, LeBarton and Spagnola are nothing more than opinionated fans (and have proven they know no more or less than the fans).

But, whatever we do, let's just make sure we NEVER give Quincy any credit for taking the high road.
  9. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    1) He ended the Hutch/QC debate pretty darn fast
    2) He knows damn well what Vinnie's role is here and Henson for that matter.

All jobs are open for competition - thats Bills motto. I like Quincy's chances a lot to be announced the starter going into the season.
  10. Hostile

118,744 Messages
    2,419 Likes Received
    Pay attention. I didn't knock Carter. I knocked JJT. You know in the same way it is OKAY to knock Spags because he states his opinions?

You guys are so ultra sensitive. Nauseating.
  11. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,904 Messages
    4,263 Likes Received

You are right in your observations IMO.

Spags is the Anti_QC and JJT is the Pro-QC.

If one can be bagged on then the other should be able to take the ribbings.

After all...both for the most part are just offering opinions...both have been right and wrong in the past.
  12. Hostile

118,744 Messages
    2,419 Likes Received
    It's all in vogue to criticize Spags, bash him, etc, etc, etc.

Criticize JJT and somehow you've attacked Carter. Why? Because JJT is his honk. However, it is so crude to say it that I ought to be ashamed. BS!!!

No joke. That hacked me off.
  13. Hollywood Henderson

Hollywood Henderson Benched

3,329 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Bill saw enough last year to know Vinny at 40 is twice the QB carter will ever be...

A 1 year starting gig until Hensen is ready will be perfect for the team...

Carter can learn from Vinny, but he will never be a good NFL passer...

Vinny, Chad, Romo or Hensen could take this team farther this year then Carter because ALL are much better passers able to hit open receivers...Carter excells at being moble and throwing into triple coverage...
  14. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Bill Parcells easily chose Carter over Chad and Romo last year. Bill doesn't know what he's doing? Bills going to bridge a 41 year old backup QB to a QB who hasn't played a football game in 3 years and only started 8 games since 1997?

Bill spoke and will speak again. Your opinions are offbase but I respect your right to have said opinions.
  15. BrAinPaiNt

60,904 Messages
    4,263 Likes Received

Why do you waste your time anymore with that poster...when it is clear he only does that stuff to get a laugh and hack people off?

Do you really think this guy has posted basically the exact same thing in a far fetched manner in a bunch of the threads....because he is serious....or do you think he does it just for the giggles?
  16. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,231 Messages
    1,169 Likes Received
    JJT is not a QC honk. He may not be as negative as some other writers, but he does not blindly defend him either. He has a more wait and see approach. When Quincy is eventually replaced, his first article will be about Quincy sucking.

Spags does not think much of Quincy and that is clear. Big deal. I like Spags okay, but he is also kind of an ***. I never liked how he defended Campo at every turn and then when Parcells came in, he bashed Campo. He is opinionated sometimes, but he is also a kiss ***. I guess I can't blame him, because Jerry probably pays him pretty well.
  17. Charles

Charles Benched

3,409 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Exactly he's a tool.
  18. BrAinPaiNt

60,904 Messages
    4,263 Likes Received

They are both about the same just on each side of the coin.

The people who like QC will see spags as the hater while they think JJT is fair.

The people who do not like QC will see JJT as a QC homer while Spags is fair.

Then there will be a few that will see instances of both of these guys doing a fair amount of hating or homering...and also at times will see those same two guys make fair arguments/opinions that are neither hating or loving...yet certian groups on the board will still say they are hating or loving.

It really does, for the most part, get fuel by how you feel about QC.
  19. Charles

Charles Benched

3,409 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    There are also people that recognize all NFL QBs prospects go through a learning curve.

I don't call Spags a tool because he doesn't like Carter. I think he's a tool because he has No feel for the team. That is very sad, because he is a resident beat writer.
  20. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,070 Messages
    2,859 Likes Received

How long do you feel the learning curve should last?