1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN's Matt Mosley: Hutchinson still a project

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Charles, May 12, 2004.

1. Charles

Charles Benched

3,409 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Matt Mosley: Hutchinson still a project

09:03 PM CDT on Tuesday, May 11, 2004

By MATT MOSLEY / DallasNews.com

Chad Hutchinson had the game of his life last weekend. But then again, Hutchinson always seems to play well in Duesseldorf.

While all is quiet at Valley Ranch until next month's minicamp for veterans, last season's backup Cowboys quarterback gained attention for leading the Rhein Fire to a 20-13 victory over the pesky Amsterdam Admirals in NFL Europe.

Hutchinson was 20-for-27 for 263 yards and two touchdowns. After the game, he sounded like the poster boy for NFL's overseas developmental league.

"I love playing in NFL Europe," Hutchinson said. "The fans are really noisy, and we have great support here for the Rhein Fire. Playing in NFL Europe is the best thing for me – it is huge because I needed the reps to get experience."

That's not what Hutchinson was saying when he first received word of his all-expenses paid European vacation. The normally affable Hutchinson moped around the locker room with a perpetual scowl on his face.

Bill Parcells, who recently sent offensive assistant David Lee overseas to watch Hutchinson in person, is on record saying that if a guy can't play in NFL Europe, he won't be able to perform in the NFL. So far, Hutchinson has performed reasonably well, although he's 219 passing yards behind former Cowboys third-string quarterback Clint Stoerner, who's playing for Amsterdam.

Hutchinson has thrown for 950 yards, with four touchdowns and two interceptions in six games. But he's also fumbled three times and been sacked a league-high 17 times.

At this point, Hutchinson has played well enough to remain an NFL prospect. But there's a good chance it won't be in Dallas.

By signing a veteran quarterback before training camp, the Cowboys would have five quarterbacks on the roster. That's one too many. Quincy Carter and Drew Henson are safe. That means that Hutchinson and Tony Romo would be vying for the final spot.

Related stories
    Second chance makes Jones a new man
    Julius Jones profile
    Mosley: Hutchinson still a project
    Hutchinson honored by NFL Europe
    Cowboys in NFL Europe
    Are Cowboys a valuable player in South Dallas?
    Audio reports
    More Cowboys

Parcells and offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Sean Payton are impressed with Romo's progress this offseason. He has managed to increase his strength and quickness, although it appears his golf game has suffered (Romo, a scratch golfer, shot an 82 in Monday's EDS Byron Nelson qualifier).

The Cowboys are now rooting for Hutchinson for different reasons. A strong finish – maybe even in a trip to World Bowl XII – could increase his trade value.

At this point, the Cowboys would probably trade Hutchinson for a sixth- or seventh-round draft pick. And if that doesn't occur, the Cowboys will simply release him before training camp.

Fair or not, Hutchinson was thrown into the fire in 2002. He then showed up at the 2003 training camp acting as if the starting job was his to lose. He promptly did.

Hutchinson has been blessed with a strong right arm, but his penchant for not taking care of the ball and robotic footwork make him nothing more than a project.

The Cowboys are now ready for Hutchinson to become someone else's project
  2. NOVA 22

NOVA 22 Member

345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    surprisingly harsh tone from Mosely in that article.
  3. Hollywood Henderson

Hollywood Henderson Benched

3,329 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It also goes against what was reported earlier when Hutch was said to be looking forward to get reps in NFLE....

The guy is a MUCH better passer then last years starter...EASILY!
  4. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

61,103 Messages
    4,436 Likes Received

I too believe he is a more accurate passer.....however when you have no pocket presence, lack of mobility in the pocket and because of those two problems you have two other problems....Fumbling the ball behind center and lack of time to find the open WR.

Hutch may not have gotten as fair of a shot as QC has, also taking into account that he has been out of football for a period of time, but he clearly at this point is not better then QC as far as being a starter in this league IMO.

Neither are the future of this franchise IMO.
  5. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,905 Messages
    2,715 Likes Received
    I long for the day when they are both gone. Number 1, it will mean an end to the wars. Number two, it will hopefully mean we are better at the position. Number 3, it will hopefully mean some draft picks. I am tired of satisfaction for sub par performance.
  6. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

61,103 Messages
    4,436 Likes Received

I believe the war will never end....even when they are gone you will have one group saying I told you so and the other group getting mad about it.

Oh well...even with that grim idea...I can still hope that someone comes along (whether QC, Hutch, Henson, Romo or another QB) that just blows the doors off and finally shows that he is the next great franchise QB for this team.
  7. Hostile

118,905 Messages
    2,715 Likes Received
    Sadly I think you are right.

One year Jason Garrett started against the Packers and had an amazing game. I don't remember anyone ever suggesting to me that it was proof he had what it takes. But now I got people trying to tell me that 1 game in NFL Europe is proof, or that 3000+ yards passing is proof. My only reaction is poor Kevin Sweeney.
  8. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,057 Messages
    3,535 Likes Received
    That is all I want is the next great Cowboys QB, some will say that is being spoiled and I say that is the reason this franchise has won 5 Super Bowls and have been in 8 Super Bowl games. Dallas did not win all those games because we had average or below average play at a critical position such as QB
  9. Hostile

118,905 Messages
    2,715 Likes Received
    Exactly. When have we won our 5 Super Bowls, or for that matter played for the right? When Staubach and Aikman were the signal callers. Every other jersey number outside of those 2 guys, no matter how skilled, has failed to get the job done. I think there is a correlation.
  10. Doomsday101

78,057 Messages
    3,535 Likes Received
    I guess the bottom line or at least should be the bottom line is if you come to Dallas high expectations come along with that and if you can't handle or want the high expectation then you need to be playing for one of the perennial losers in this league where less than average play is acceptable.
  11. Hostile

118,905 Messages
    2,715 Likes Received
    I have never liked having players who weren't very good at any position. This is the first time in my life I've ever been ripped for it with regards to this QB controversy. I don't think there is any controversy. We need to be better at that position. Until we are, I don't see us going anywhere.
  12. orange julius

orange julius Member

76 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So, you believe that having a great "franchise" QB is what allowed our team to win superbowls. If that were the case, how come Dan Marino never won a superbowl? What's taking Peyton Manning so long? What about John Elway taking 14 years to win his first superbowl? Maybe I'm missing the point. If so, please clarify.
  13. Doomsday101

78,057 Messages
    3,535 Likes Received
    I agree and if QC can turn it around and produce like a quality QB then I will have no problem with him remaining QB for the Cowboys. It has never been a personal issue with me and my feeling for Carter it is purly performance or lack of that I have a major issue with