1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Do You Agree With Drew About WR's?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WPBCowboysFan, Jan 4, 2013.

1. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,328 Messages
    1,645 Likes Received
    He says:

#1 - Dez
    #2 - Harris
    #3 - Smiles
    #4 - Beasley
    #5 - Otree

He also says Dez and Harris are the only 2 he would bring back next year.

Says Harris is a player and just needs more opportunity.

He was critical of Smiles for not being physical. Not protecting his QB by being aggressive in keeping the DB's from getting the ball or intercepting it. Not real great on running to the ball consistently. Overpaid and doesnt produce in accordance with his salary. And he's hurt all the time.

I pretty much agree with Drew, but wouldnt mind seeing Beasley come back.
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,579 Messages
    4,142 Likes Received
    I don't listen to Drew (Pearson). He is a terrible media guy.
  3. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,748 Messages
    1,605 Likes Received
    Miles is still #2, but I agree they should part ways. Bring back Dez, Harris and Beasley, send the rest packing. Go out and sign a decent FA to play wide and let Harris start in the slot next season.

As for Miles, they just can't release him, but get the best offer for him.
  4. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,852 Messages
    104 Likes Received
    Does someone have the specifics of Miles conract? I believe he is going to cost us around 9M on the cap next year...? I'm on board with cutting Rat, Free, but i'm not sure we can afford to let Austin go. What do we do if Bryant goes down, just run with Harris and Beasley?
  5. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,226 Messages
    845 Likes Received
    I agree.

Miles most of the time this year was MIA.
  6. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,144 Messages
    1,127 Likes Received
    Hard to argue Drew's logic. I could take or leave Beasley. I would leave Tree. Miles costs too much for what you get.
  7. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,630 Messages
    2,012 Likes Received
    Well, I certainly agree on Dez and Harris. Both can play.

Not sure if I would not at least bring back some of the others though.
  8. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,822 Messages
    426 Likes Received
    Miles makes me want to puke.

I really don't think his ankle was even that badly sprained against the Skins. He jogged back and forth from the locker room and when needed to get back in the game he did. That tells me the guy doesn't care much about his team and the game he plays.
  9. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,819 Messages
    2,664 Likes Received
    I like Miles, but have to agree with Drew here.
  10. koolaid

koolaid Drink Me

1,764 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    He did a 180 on Dez pretty fast once everyone saw the truth about his ability, huh?

I dont care for what he thinks
  11. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,451 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    I think Miles is still a very dangerous receiver and am not willing to annoint Harris just yet. Give him more opportunities, sure, but let's not get rid of a known commodity on one who hasn't proved himself over the long haul just yet.
  12. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,328 Messages
    1,645 Likes Received
    Maybe that is because Dez came around 180.

Everybody saw the potential. Now he's showed he can play up to it.

Drew has been pretty much on target about Dez when Ive heard him comment this year.
  13. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,407 Messages
    1,015 Likes Received
    I agree most of it outside of Beasley and O-tree. I don't think Beasley should even be on the roster. I just don't have room on my team for a tiny guy who quit on his team, and was welcome back like he was a star or something. Also on his minimal targets to him Romo threw 2 picks. Sorry just don't see it.

But I would take a starting lineup of Dez and Harris any day. I think Harris is a smaller version of Dez, but I would replace the other 3.
  14. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,130 Messages
    249 Likes Received
    I agree with his assessment. Harris needs more opportunity but I'm just not sure he's ready to be that consistent #2. He'd be a VERY good #3 next season. I really like this player.

The point he makes about Miles' production in relation to his salary is the point i was making the other day. It will only get worse next year as Harris gets more playing even if he's the #3 WR. You're probably looking at another 850-900 yd season from Miles next season. He's still a good WR but can the Cowboys find a talented, younger and cheaper option who can produce similar results over a season? I believe so. My feeling all along is if they decide to release Miles, they have to go out and acquire essentially another starting caliber WR.
  15. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,508 Messages
    1,497 Likes Received
    I agree with this Sas. If it's a cap issue, then I certainly understand but lets be real here. Miles had 66 catches for 943 yards, 6 TDs and a 14.3 YPC.

I certainly agree that he has to get better but lets not kid ourselves here. We are not going to just go around the corner and replace that production. It's going to cost some money to sign a player that can produce those numbers, if we can sign one.
  16. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,630 Messages
    2,012 Likes Received
    I agree with this. I think Harris' progress actually decreases the risk that Miles' ongoing injuries will wreck us. it would have to be a cap issue.

or

I would part with Miles if we could bring in a Mike Wallace or something.
    Dez/Wallace/Harris....sweet
  17. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,919 Messages
    1,303 Likes Received
    I would be OK with going into next year having a receiving corps that consists of Dez, Harris, Coale, Beasley, and a vet.

I think Coale will be a reliable guy, and Beasley can make plays. Plus, if JG starts to trust Hanna, he can be a vertical option and make a lot of mismatches, so there isn't really a need for 5 receivers.
  18. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

9,184 Messages
    1,112 Likes Received
    :bow: :hammer:
  19. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,130 Messages
    249 Likes Received
    I agree with everything you say here. But you do not necessarily have to replace Miles' production with the addition of one player. If the staff is sold on Harris as being a legit 2-3 WR, all you need is another good complimentary WR to fill out the top 3. I'm just using these numbers as an example - if Harris can get you 750 yds 6-7 TDs, you can we find another solid WR to produce 650-700 yds 5 TDs. As long as that player is clearly well above the caliber of a Kevin Ogletree.

All of this is assuming Dez is setting the table as the dominant #1 and Witten is still Witten. Can we find an Antonio Brown, a Denarius Moore or even a T.Y. Hilton in the mid/latter portion of the draft that can step in a be a good complimentary WR?
  20. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,919 Messages
    1,303 Likes Received
    As someone who has suffered through chronically bad ankles, I can tell you that a sprained ankle is nothing to mess with.

Being able to job comfortably doesn't mean an ankle is anywhere near 100%. Strain on an ankle comes not from going straight, but cutting and stopping.

I won't disagree that Miles is a softy, but that's an unfair criticism.