1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Do you want Brent back?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by dcstands4, Jan 24, 2014.

1. dcstands4

dcstands4 Active Member

652 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    I know we've all heard the news by now

Former Dallas Cowboys player Josh Brent was sentenced Friday to 180 days in jail and 10 years of probation for a drunken car crash that killed his friend and teammate, Jerry Brown.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...180-days-jail-probation?ex_cid=espnapi_public

That being said I heard people say that if Aaron H. wasn't charged there would be a rush of teams trying to sign him. Now the ball is in our court and to be honest. Dallas has had Brents back (in a odd stand-off, but let it play out sort of way) but the question remains. Do YOU want BRent back?
    cowboyschmps3 likes this.
  2. Bware_Dware

Bware_Dware Member

112 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    The man has to live with the death of his good friend for the rest of his life. I am all for bringing him back and letting him try to straighten his life back out. He can use his mistake to preach to younger crowds. Football aside, he can still do a lot of good for himself and the community. Letting him suit up will aide this.
  3. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,305 Messages
    1,200 Likes Received
    Two time offender -- 2nd time resulting the death of a teammate.

Not a fan of bringing him back to the club -- the risk is HIGH that he does it (driving drunk) a third time.
    Wayne02 likes this.
  4. theSHOW

theSHOW Well-Known Member

2,845 Messages
    885 Likes Received
    Of course I want brent back. He would bring more team unity to this team than any other player we have.
  5. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

2,112 Messages
    1,265 Likes Received
    I want Brent to get his life straightened out.
    Free himself of his demons.
    Find resolution and forgiveness.
    Become a MAN.

Then there can be thoughts of football.
    birdwells1 and jobberone like this.
  6. DavidS

DavidS Well-Known Member

1,106 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    Yes, every man deserves a chance at redemption.

If he screws up, you know the drill...cut em.
    jobberone likes this.
  7. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

5,964 Messages
    570 Likes Received
    I wouldn't be against it. Its not going to be a high risk type thing. You'd be risking nothing. I'm not sure if the guy wants to play football anytime soon. Or maybe he does. I haven't been in his shoes but I can only imagine how tough it is to live with what he did that night.
  8. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

5,964 Messages
    570 Likes Received
    I agree with you but at the same time football can be that outlet that allows for him to get his life back on track.
    jobberone and Corso like this.
  9. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Yes, his second chance was after he flipped over his car while he was hammered in college.

Cant be trusted. Let him go beg Oakland or Cincinatti for a job.
    Wayne02, perrykemp and ufcrules1 like this.
  10. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

2,112 Messages
    1,265 Likes Received
    I can see your point.
    jobberone likes this.
  11. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,840 Messages
    1,171 Likes Received
    Absolutely not. He has had multiple chances. Now, I don't care if he signs with another team.
  12. Floaty

Floaty Active Member

698 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    This could be one of the greatest turn around stories in franchise history.......Or it could be a media nightmare if he screws up again. Do you want to take that risk? Personally... I think the Cowboys have moved on...but you never know. Who knows what kind of football shape he is in. On top of that is he really mentally ready? I have my doubts. Brent is just lucky to have a second chance at a decent life.
    waving monkey and TheCowboy like this.
  13. TonyRomo17

TonyRomo17 Active Member

621 Messages
    239 Likes Received
    maybe, after he retired Jerry gave him a job at a cowboys warehouse, so he obviously still cares for him
  14. rockj7

rockj7 Active Member

806 Messages
    134 Likes Received
    I think he would play his arse off he lost almost everything. If he screws up or plays like he isnt motivated then he is just a fool. and cut his arse
    jobberone likes this.
  15. The Natural

The Natural Benched

4,397 Messages
    1,202 Likes Received
    Personally, no
  16. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,946 Messages
    4,802 Likes Received
    This is the best argument for not wanting him back, in my opinion. And if we didn't have a large need at DL, it would be enough for me, but if he can play, even for a year, it helps us out a lot in bridging the gap in our lineup that we did nothing to address last offseason.
    ologan likes this.
  17. cowboyschmps3

cowboyschmps3 Well-Known Member

2,509 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    I would get him back
  18. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,381 Messages
    382 Likes Received
    Doesn't matter what we want either way, Jerry wants him back. So lets just hope he can get into some kind of shape, Brent looks pretty far away from pro ability at this point.
  19. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,297 Messages
    611 Likes Received
    Does his probation play a role in his future career? Does he have to stay in Texas and if he is kept, can he travel to London next year? I think ultimately he should be allowed to play again, but I don't know if Dallas is a good place for him anymore. I think they should pass.
  20. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,922 Messages
    3,982 Likes Received
    This one is tough, he's had mutliple chances. Plus I don't like the fact that he got in trouble again during the pre-trial phase. You'd really have to have Calvin Hill baby sitting him at all times. Is he worth that trouble? Was he THAT good to take that chance on him again? I think we can make it work.
    birdwells1 likes this.