1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Does Dan Marino "deserve" the same criticism as P. Manning?

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Aikmaniac, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Aikmaniac

Aikmaniac Well-Known Member

4,186 Messages
    177 Likes Received
    After watching NFL network this morning, it is apparent that Peyton Manning still receives a ton of heat. When I was growing up, I don't remember Dan Marino receiving near as much criticism. How is it that Peyton needs this second Super Bowl to be considered one of the greats?

We all know what kind of QB Marino was and the amazing stats he mounted, but was he that much of a better all-around QB? I say no.

I'd like to read your thoughts.
  2. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,921 Messages
    1,506 Likes Received
    I remember Marino getting some heat. I think Manning has played on better teams than Marino did. Marino had Duper and Clayton who were good. Manning had Harrison and Wayne who will both probably end up in the Hall of Fame. Marino had 3 one-and-done playoff performances. Manning has had eight. Other than that they have been very similar. Marino in 18 playoff games has 4510 yards, 32 TDs and 24 Ints. Manning in 21 games has 5909 yards, 34 TDs and 22 Ints.

Both are great QBs. Both had great careers. Teams need more than just great QBs to win multiple rings.
    OhSnap likes this.
  3. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,509 Messages
    2,388 Likes Received
    Both are 1st ballot HOFers...so it is all relative.
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,852 Messages
    1,692 Likes Received
    further proof that the romo haters are morons. You need a team to win. Manning rarely had a defense worth the name; because the team and franchise made a conscious decision to put a lot more into the offense then the D. And the only SB that Indy won was when the D played extremely well at the end of the season and into the playoffs. Manning did not exactly light it up that year.

That is why season stats are all too often misleading. That year for Indy and the year Rodgers and GB won it all their D came back late in the season because injured starters returned.
    The Year NO won it all their D played very well especially in getting turnovers. You can go right down the line year after year and in the SB the winner usually is the one that played better on D.
  5. Teren_Kanan

Teren_Kanan Well-Known Member

1,707 Messages
    175 Likes Received
    Marino Sucked, could never win the big game, and played poorly in the playoffs with a sub 80QBR.

At least that should be how every Romo basher should view him, right?
  6. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,915 Messages
    1,345 Likes Received
    I remember Marino getting heat all the time. I think that's why he stayed around as long as he did.
  7. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,921 Messages
    1,506 Likes Received
    It is a myth that the Colts defense played all that great during that 2006 playoff run. They faced some average offenses in the playoffs that didn't put fear into opposing defenses. The Chiefs weren't great and neither were the Ravens. That Patriots were good, not great and still put over 30 on the Colts. Indy faced Rex Grossman in the Superbowl. I don't have to add anything to that to let people know about what I thought of the Bears offense that season.
  8. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,193 Messages
    2,030 Likes Received
    Who are these so called Romo Haters? Love to hear it because the minute you identify one, your going to get dinged for a personal attack on a poster for calling anybody a Moron. You can get your point across without baiting the argument. It's just unnecessary.
    jobberone likes this.
  9. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Well-Known Member

1,042 Messages
    189 Likes Received
    Since Dan Marino is part of this discussion, this movie clip was entertaining. Also mentioned Namath...would he be in the HoF if you took away the season the Jets won the SB?

10. ABQCOWBOY

35,193 Messages
    2,030 Likes Received
    LOL.......

Good one! Thanks for posting that BBTOTB. I needed a little laugh today.
  11. Pessimist_cowboy

Pessimist_cowboy Well-Known Member

2,354 Messages
    790 Likes Received
    The dude with the kid rock avatar pic and the dude with the eye patch pic . Dude is a packer fan .
  12. burmafrd

41,852 Messages
    1,692 Likes Received
    they played well in the playoffs. When it really mattered
  13. burmafrd

41,852 Messages
    1,692 Likes Received

Well anyone who does not know who they are really is out to lunch. So what is your excuse?
  14. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,525 Messages
    601 Likes Received
    In my opinion, he doesn't need this Superbowl to be considered one of the greats. I'm sure that some would say that winning this Superbowl would push him in their conversation as the greatest though.
  15. ABQCOWBOY

35,193 Messages
    2,030 Likes Received
    I don't have an excuse. I just have you and that can be corrected. Where you want to take this?
  16. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,205 Messages
    310 Likes Received
    not a chance.
  17. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

25,211 Messages
    1,198 Likes Received
    If we are being honest here.

Marino was pass happy. Wanted to win it throwing. Checked out of running plays. Never gave running game a chance.

Favre same way.
    Romo same way.

Peyton, as great as he is, throws ints and loses games. Has nothing to do with defense. Belichick got to him more times than he should have.

If Carroll has same success with defense then Peyton ends up with 1-2 record in SB games.
    He list SB vs saints with his int.
  18. landroverking

landroverking Well-Known Member

1,568 Messages
    250 Likes Received