1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Does it concern anyone about our past whiffs at drafting a 4-3 defensive end?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Verdict, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,430 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    In light of our switch to a 4-3 defense do our past whiffs at drafting a 4-3 defensive end bother anyone other than me?
  2. gmoney112

gmoney112 Well-Known Member

3,276 Messages
    612 Likes Received
    With Marinelli's input I'm pretty confident our DL additions will be quite productive.
  3. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,315 Messages
    2,153 Likes Received
    What bothers me is the cavalier way this team tossed aside a scheme, regardless of the DC, that they had been playing for a couple of years.

Now the hue and cry will tell me the team also played the 4-3 and this should be cake assimilating the new defense.

Now I ask you this.

In the last five years, have you seen the Dallas defense look confused, out of place, called useless time outs, and been beaten because they were not on the same page?

Happened with the last three head coaches, and DC's.

So what magic will be created to stop that behavior?

How will this team learn a new defense - again - and know it to the point they can play it in their sleep and not have those Ut Oh moments when they are forced into time outs or mistakes because of not knowing where to be?

These are still the same players that have exhibited the same behavior from one DC to the next.

Now add to that the read option as a style of offense that can hang with the Tampa 2, and where is this team in the large window of Tony Romo's career and skill set?

The idea he can play until he is 37 and beyond is a pipe dream right now.

So to sum up, they got off one horse while in the middle of the stream to get on another, and all the while age is marching all over the opportunity to get deep in the play-offs.

Can they make the quantum leap?

I suppose they can.

Will they?

While that is to be determined, the odds suggest this team will be in 2013 what it was in 2012.

And the clock ticks.
  4. DandyDon1722

DandyDon1722 It's been a good 'un, ain't it?

2,377 Messages
    936 Likes Received
    Great great insight.

Posted from Cowboyszone.com App for Android
  5. lwehlers

lwehlers Well-Known Member

1,139 Messages
    88 Likes Received
    clock is ticking away at the core group. changing a defensive scheme probaly will set this team back another two years. with romo getting older we may not be able to make a run again until the next generation players. this could set this team back three to five years. the offensive line is a mess can it be fixed in one year to help the defense out while they are learning a new system?
  6. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,063 Messages
    5,399 Likes Received
    Has that happened since Parcells got Larry Lacewell out of the Front Office?
  7. HanD

HanD Member

859 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    well parcells didn't draft too many 4-3 DEs since he ran the 3-4. but his drafting of spears and bobby c early for his implementation of the 3-4 wasn't spectacular either...
  8. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I would argue that we have drafted better college DL than anywhere else in the past decade. We only had one minor whiff as Spears was a disappointment for a first rounder. Otherwise we have acquired:

Hits:
    Ware (1st round)
    Spencer (1st round)
    Bowen (UDFA)
    Canty (4th round)
    Ratliff (7th round)
    Lissemore (7th round)
    Brent (7th round, supplemental)
    Butler (4th round)
    Crawford (3rd round)

Misses:
    Spears (1st round)
    Brandon Williams (4th round)

That looks like a pretty good record of finding talent to me. You could argue Ware and Spencer were drafted to be OLBs but they were essentially DLs in college and function as DEs in a 4-man line for more than half of their snaps.

So I happen to think whatever quirks we had in the 90s drafting DL have passed. OTOH, we seemed to be able to find great OL for cheap in the 90s but haven't been able to draft them nearly as well this millenium.
  9. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,580 Messages
    516 Likes Received
    None of that addesses the OP, regarding drafting 43 DE's.
  10. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Dsllas seems to do much better scouting certain positions than others. They seem to do well with the DL and pass rushers. Aldon Smith was high on their draft board and Watt was as well. Many teams and experts didn't have these two players ranked that high. They seem to do well with LBs and RBs. Oline on the other hand, should be turned over to a scouting service to get their evaluations. Dallas doesn't have a clue about olinemen.
  11. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus Zone Supporter

4,425 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    Great post. I have been meaning to make a thread about how well we have drafted defensive linemen. I'm hoping that trend continues because we need it to this year.
  12. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Spencer and Ware would both make fine DEs, IMO. They play DE half of the time here right now. Even Butler has always been a pretty productive pass rusher for the amount of snaps he has been allowed to play.
  13. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Nobody knows at this point, but Eskimo presented some good info that gives a hint that they do a good job evaluating pass rushers and DL. You csn only form an opinion with the information that is available.
  14. Verdict

3,430 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    We didn't draft very well drafting 4-3 defensive ends. Quite poor. Greg Ellis was a solid pick but otherwise we sucked at drafting 4-3 ends. Go back and review our drafts when we ran the 4-3 and how many times we whiffed at DE.
  15. Verdict

3,430 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    We haven't drafted a 4-3 defensive end since Parcells was here because we haven't run a 4-3 since then.
  16. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Spencer and Ware are essentially half-time DEs. In particular, they are pass rushing type DEs, the exact type of player we could not find in the past. If Ware didn't mash up his shoulder we probably had the two most productive OLBs in the league this past year. The difference between a modern weakside DE and Ware is almost nothing. It is true that there is a difference at LDE in the past to defend run heavy schemes of the past but those days are gone.

I think we may just look for the same player but ask them to play 10 pounds heavier.
  17. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,580 Messages
    516 Likes Received
    I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing, just pointing something out.
  18. Rogerthat12

Rogerthat12 DWAREZ

3,781 Messages
    223 Likes Received
    Sobering facts but seem to be very true to my dismay!:eek:
  19. Verdict

3,430 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    They aren't playing the position of defensive end. They are playing OLB in a 3-4 with a four man front part time. I'm hopeful Ware can play DE. That still doesn't change the fact that we drafted HORRIBLY trying to hit on defensive ends when we were in the 4-3. The record speaks for itself.

What bugs me MOST is that we tried to play a 3-4 without a TRUE NT the entire time we were in the 3-4, despite the fact that from DAY 1 Parcells said it was the key to the success of the 3-4 scheme.
  20. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    If it makes you feel better, the poor drafting of DEs was around ten years ago. At one time, Dallas could draft olinemen. Look at them now. Things change, sometimes for the good, sometimes for the bad. I believe they will do better drafting DEs than oline in this draft. At least they have shown the ability to find and identify pass rushers as of late.