1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Does it feel like society is getting more twisted

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Wood, Aug 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derekmtl85

Derekmtl85 Well-Known Member

1,249 Messages
    341 Likes Received
    It's the right side of politics that use the fear tactic every time...because it works, sadly. But both sides are guilty of it.
    CowboyStar88 and BigStar like this.
  2. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing Zone Supporter

4,119 Messages
    1,625 Likes Received
    One uses it when economic forecasts look bad, the other uses it to justify (fill in the blank) But in general, both sides use it when embarrassing personal social matters become revealed (no doubt)
    Derekmtl85 likes this.
  3. John813

John813 Active Member

551 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    No.

I don't think humans are becoming twisted. Humans have been twisted for quite some time. Just nowadays with social media it easier to see stories that the regular media wouldn't talk about.
    MichaelWinicki and BigStar like this.
  4. BigStar

4,119 Messages
    1,625 Likes Received
    Some need to read up on human history, we look like saints in this current piece of civilization:D Got our cavaliers doing their best @ fixing the economy (how it has to be kinda=wouldn't be relevant otherwise) to the best of their ability, etc. but there is always something for everybody in this gen. Wanna tear it down?... different discussion and many hippy professors will be happy to steal your ear:D
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  5. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,091 Messages
    1,286 Likes Received
    Crime, war, famine, disease are all down in pretty much all parts of the world by any reasonable measure, particularly in the U.S. So, no, things aren't worse now than what they used to be. It's basically the best time to be alive in all of human history.
  6. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,387 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    Care to elaborate? I'm not one to sing the praises of anything under the banner of the UK, in fact in a couple of weeks I'll be voting to leave it but what you appear to be hinting at is frankly pish.
  7. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,043 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    If, in the 1920s, someone ax murdered their family in a small town in Wisconsin, noone outside of a few neighboring towns even heard about it. Now if that happens in a small town in the Arakan, it is often reported worldwide. Big difference.
    DallasEast and BigStar like this.
  8. Achilleslastand

Achilleslastand Well-Known Member

1,387 Messages
    241 Likes Received
    One of the parties involved has no interest in assimilation and according to a recent BBC poll ,95% stated that the multiculturalism experiment in the UK has been a huge failure.
  9. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,091 Messages
    1,286 Likes Received
    In case it's not clear, I assume this is referring to Middle Eastern immigrants.
    BigStar likes this.
  10. windward

windward NFL Historian

15,214 Messages
    513 Likes Received
    Nope. People have been doing terrible things since the beginning of civilization.
    DallasEast and BigStar like this.
  11. BigStar

4,119 Messages
    1,625 Likes Received
    Okay, you do know that this is UK's first real initiative in term of assimilating minorities outside of the subdued Indian population (read up on that first;)) then come back with that bigot hyperbole:D "Ruined what exactly?" Have the stones to post what you intend and don't hide behind subtlety....
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  12. Achilleslastand

Achilleslastand Well-Known Member

1,387 Messages
    241 Likes Received
    Your first sentence has no relevance with what is going on there currently. And congratulations to you for reading between the lines about those pesky peace loving Mormons who want to push their religion on not only the UK but the rest of the world as well.
    BigStar likes this.
  13. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,387 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    Only time I've ever felt someone was attempting to "push their religion" on me has been when I've had Jehovahs Witnesses at the door.
    MonsterD likes this.
  14. BigStar

4,119 Messages
    1,625 Likes Received
    Actually woke up wanting to delete that post. It was personal aimed and arrogant (to say the least). I would say that a country's history with minority relations will always remain relevant when it relates to colonialism and slavery. Apologize to you though for that "pointed" post even if I don't agree with your position on the subject. My mistake
  15. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,387 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    That's simply not true. Afro-Caribbean, Jewish, Irish and more recently Eastern Europeans have all come in en masse over the last hundred or so years and been met with the same kind of scaremongering and bigotry that Muslims are currently the target of.
    BigStar likes this.
  16. BigStar

4,119 Messages
    1,625 Likes Received
    Like getting schooled in the morning:D It was dumb of me to disregard Jewish, Caribbean, African and Eastern European immigrants and esp the Irish more recently outside of WWII. I was trying to make a point relating near exclusively to (Indian/recently Muslims) populations in the UK. I was trying to speak of the long term effects of colonialism and the mainstream/majority perspective towards immigrants no matter how much of a stretch I had to make it.

Of course I totally disregarded the success stories (or moderate acceptance) and was a poor angle/argument to start/take on my part (ignorant). European colonialism and the long term effects are somewhat different topics (esp from historical-cultural legislation in the UK), etc of is where i was trying to sway the topic, but of course did it on a very short sighted premise with knowingly minimizing facts to make my own "point". I reacted with arrogance instead of calmly expressing/developing the proper counter (like yours just now :))
  17. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,291 Messages
    4,609 Likes Received
    #6 - You will not post religious discussions or comments.
    #7 - You will not post political discussions or comments.

Thread closed
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.