1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Don't worry about the salary cap

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by supercowboy8, Jan 12, 2013.

1. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    We are over the salary cap right now for next year, but with a few restructures and releases we will be right under the cap. But don't think that will stop jerry from signing a few big money free agents.

We can structure contracts for the future much like what Dallas did with Carr last year.
    So if big money players are available that can fix the OL or defense, he will.
  2. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,374 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Agree, and I think xwalker ran some rough numbers too.

I hope we get one OL and DL in FA. I'd prefer to get an OT with Free likely gone. And I'd like to replace Coleman and/or Spears with a better DT candidate.

In the Draft we can focus more on the OL, DL, and Safety positions. Plus, we'll need a RB and possibly WR as well.
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,109 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    the big fly in your soup is the fact that the CAP IS NOT GOING UP. Push more money ahead and you have BIG problems. The cap will not be increasing substantially for several more years. 2015 was thought to be the year that it could go up but now they are saying it might not be till 2017 before there is a big increase.

When your cap does not go up then it makes everything a LOT HARDER.
  4. supercowboy8

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    wrong, contracts are set for the future so Dallas knows how much their cap will be in 2014, 2015, and 2016. As contracts expire their cap goes down.
    Also players base salaries change every year. Dallas might be right at the cap for next year but in two years thay are set to be 20 million under the cap.

you can spread money out any way you want, the base salary isn't the same every year. So we can pay a young big FA low salary this year, and big next year then low again and make it large at the end. Thats our contracts are set in the NFL.

Just look at Brandon Carr's contract
    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/brandon-carr/
  5. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

2,971 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    But it isn't expected to go down, either.

And 2013 is the only year right now where the team is over the cap, which is mostly due to the contracts of two players, Tony Romo ($17.228M) and Brandon Carr ($16.3M).

2013: $135.8M
    2014: $113.4M
    2015: $89.7M

So the Cowboys look to be in good shape with the cap long term, IMO.

Some big new contracts will be added in forthcoming seasons, but older players with bloated salaries will also be released.
  6. supercowboy8

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received

This

We can set up salaries in contracts to be higher in 2014, 2015, and 2016.
  7. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,235 Messages
    2,804 Likes Received
    The impact of Romo's contract will be lessened when he get his new deal this spring.
  8. nickjamesw43

nickjamesw43 Active Member

355 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    I don't think you can totally disregard it. There is still some limit on how much you can spend it's just spread across other years.

With our situation however it probably makes sense to kick the can down the road. We may have 3-5 years with Ware, Romo and Witten still playing at a decently high level. Get as much talent as you can now then pay the piper once you have to rebuild.
  9. burmafrd

41,109 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    you guys need to understand the cap better.

NO ones salary will go down. Now you can cut people but you still have to pay off the rest of the cap charge.

Between the $5 million Mara tax and Free and Rat and company, we have very little maneuvering room since we HAVE to look ahead to contacts likely coming in the next couple of years like Lee and others. And Dez will have to be accounted for as well. His contract is up in 2014 I believe. And if he keeps going as he ended this season that will be a hard one to swallow.

Romo's new contract will have to be carefully structured and we will have to pay him more then we are paying him now.

Adam will be doing this soon and you will find that he will have the same concerns
  10. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,860 Messages
    1,650 Likes Received
    So.....continue shoving money onto future years because that approach has really worked out for Dallas so far.

How about instead of pretending like the team is at some mystical hump and a single player can get them over they just face facts and build the team the way it should be done.
  11. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

19,976 Messages
    611 Likes Received
    :facepalm: That's what every team does.
  12. burmafrd

41,109 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    no some teams actually have plans that are steady and logical

unlike the Boys
  13. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,860 Messages
    1,650 Likes Received
    First and foremost, there are teams with ridiculous amounts of free space every single year so no it's not "what every team does".

Secondly, there are also teams who choose to do so in order to operate beyond their typical capacity.

Dallas does it out of necessity which is not what every team does.
  14. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,390 Messages
    795 Likes Received
    The CBA held some stuff static in the first two years and then I believe it becomes dynamic again. They just signed TV contracts for over $3b AAV.

I am not an economist nor familiar enough with the NFL's machinations but I think their revenue has been increasing and the split is the split.
  15. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

2,971 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    We are all looking forward to AdamJT13's 2013 salary cap post.

But he did mention 4 days ago that the team will have room to spend.

16. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,203 Messages
    582 Likes Received
    We can re-structure Romo and Carr and save around $20M. Cutting Free will save $7M, Conner $3M and maybe do something with Ware, Austin and Sens. We can also borrow $3M from the future and are carrying over somewhere between $2-4M from this year. And I think somehow the $5M penalty may be adjusted or wiped away. We will have flexibility.
  17. randy932

randy932 Member

526 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Cutting Romo would save $11M.
  18. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,055 Messages
    1,905 Likes Received

Not gonna happen.

But they will restructure his contract.
  19. burmafrd

41,109 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    we will have room for maybe one somewhat big or two medium FA's.

Another thing to remember is that the veteran minimum goes up every year. So that automatically means more money spent even with the cap at $121 million for the next few years.
  20. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,163 Messages
    1,102 Likes Received
    By restructuring Carr you end up just pushing the cap hit to sometime in the future.

I think it's fine and perfectly logical to restructure players, but if you are always pushing more and more money into future years isn't that how you end up ending up in Salary Cap jail?