1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

dont'a hightower

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by jblaze2004, Jan 16, 2012.

1. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,744 Messages
    423 Likes Received
    If this kid runs in the 4.6's or better at the combine. Combine his size 6'4 260, hitting power, and scheme diversity. I think I would love to get him. He can play ILB in the 3-4 and OLB. He can give us insurance on if we cannot resign spencer to a cap friendly deal or find his replacement. He can also give us some insurance incase bruce carter isn't ready yet to start next year. Hightower is a good blitzer up the middle. With his size and speed he is a terror. I would love for him to smack brandon jacobs in the mouth (they are the same size). Imagine him and sean lee in the middle of the defense on 3rd/4th and 1 plays. Talk about a heat sinking missle.

[youtube]qBe6Ez1OwO4&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]5NsR3WOpteg[/youtube]

[youtube]2fdY8xnsUuY&feature=related[/youtube]
  2. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,481 Messages
    648 Likes Received
    I agree, this guy's a monster. Would love for him to be a Cowboy.
  3. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,356 Messages
    762 Likes Received
    where is this guy projected to go? early 2nd?
  4. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,905 Messages
    578 Likes Received
    I would say middle to late first.
  5. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,356 Messages
    762 Likes Received
    not questioning you bc i have no idea...but i havent seen anywhere rank him that high..but i dont check many places..just a couple
  6. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    I have no doubt he'll go before the second round. Mid to late first is accurate imo.
  7. TheFinisher

2,481 Messages
    648 Likes Received
    Yea, Mid-Late 1st sounds about right.
  8. JeffInDC

JeffInDC Well-Known Member

1,004 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    Finisher, that's an excellent mock you've come up with. Harris could DEFINITELY facilitate the move of Rat to DE. He weighed in at 6'3", 308 at the Shrine Game weigh-in's. He could easily get to 315-320 and not lose any quickness.
  9. TheFinisher

2,481 Messages
    648 Likes Received
    I actually made it before all the talk of Ratliff to DE so I had Harris as a potential 5 tech but now that you mention it that is a great point and I could see him developing into a quality Nose.
  10. dboy214

dboy214 Benched

3,122 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    i like this guy better than upshaw. i just wish he had a more OLB prototype body. you could blitz him from the middle and the outside, very versatile imo.
  11. JeffInDC

JeffInDC Well-Known Member

1,004 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    Wish WHO had the prototype OLB body, Upshaw or Hightower? Because, 6'3"-6'4", 250-260 IS the prototype 3-4 OLB.
  12. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,423 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    If a bluechip player isn't there at 14 then by all means trade back and get this guy.
    I wouldn't hate getting Hightower and Burfit in this draft if we get mltiple 2nd round picks.
    Burfit has his issues but the guy can blitz like no other and can drop back into coverage and will be a 2nd round pick with top 15 talent.
    A LB corp of Burfit, Butler, Lee, Hightower, Carter, and Ware is a pretty good young LB corp.
  13. 4lifecowboy

4lifecowboy Active Member

834 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    i agree with this post 99% (change that and to an or and you have 100)
  14. supercowboy8

5,423 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    I don't know, why not get them both if the value is there, only if we get mutiple 2nd round picks.
    I wouldn't draft Burfict in the 1st with his attitude issues. But if we trade back and BPA is CB or OL then I'm fine with draft BPA late first and still getting Burfict in the 2nd. I think he is the only 2nd round LB that could play day one at SOLB.

Other 2nd round guys I would like would be Minnifield, Hayward, Zeitler, and Ben Jones. I'm sure that list will grow the closer I get to the draft.
  15. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    You beat me to it, but Hightower has a more prototype 34 OLB body type than Upshaw or Ingram. Both those guys are shorties, although i think Hightower would be a very good 34 ILB and we'd be best served pairing him with Lee in the middle if we get him and resigning Spencer. With Rob's defense he could still find him some snaps to move him around to the outside to let him rush the passer in some situations anyway.
  16. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,085 Messages
    5,407 Likes Received
    Hightower is "projected" to run a 4.85 forty. That would be ok for a 3-4 OLB but too slow for 3-4 ILB. A 3-4 ILB needs to be around 4.7 or better. I don't want another Bradie James type of player that is good/great against the run but a liability against the pass. The combine will be big for him.

He "might" be great as a 3-4 OLB, but do you want to use a 1st on a player that needs to change positions?
  17. supercowboy8

5,423 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    Can we please wait till the combine on these 40s please
  18. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,653 Messages
    2,192 Likes Received
    if we took OLB in Rd 1 after trade back and had 2 2's, my picks would be

Poe (NT)
    Best OG available like Osemele or the OG from Miami
  19. supercowboy8

5,423 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    depending on what we do in FA that wouldnt be a bad plan.
    Zeitler is a pet cat of mine adn thing he is another Alan Faneca.
  20. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,653 Messages
    2,192 Likes Received
    forget the draft plan
    give me the FAs in your plan

as strange as it may sound, the most expendable there would be robinson