1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Dontari Poe NT??

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by kmp77, Feb 29, 2012.

1. kmp77

kmp77 Active Member

5,945 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Anyone familiar with this cat? I just watched the combine highlights of him and am blown away. Fast, strong and quick.....and a "fat butt" that we need.

I think his stock will skyrocket now but not sure when we could snag him.
  2. RubyRidge

RubyRidge Member

87 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Was wondering the same thing. I'm starting to think we need more pressure at the line of scrimmage.
  3. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,345 Messages
    279 Likes Received
    He'd probably play DE since Ratliff appears to be set at NT forever. Maybe use Poe like the Ravens use Ngata. It would look weird and backwards but who knows :confused:
  4. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I like the idea of thinking outside the box like the Ravens do with Ngata.
  5. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    I would not be surprised at all if Rob ends up wanting this guy.
  6. kmp77

kmp77 Active Member

5,945 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    346lbs and ran a 4.9!!!!
  7. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    This makes a lot of sense to me. They seem to be very similar players, thus Poe's increased value in general and specifically to us. Ngata gets moved around some, as well, unless I'm mistaken, which would definitely be a possibility under Ryan.
  8. Deefens

Deefens Member

109 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I am starting to wonder if this guy could make a huge impact on the defense. A ngata type on our d, collapsing the pocket for ware and the boys, and freeing up our young stud backers Lee and Carter to make more plays. Ray Lewis would tell you Haloti is his favorite teammate. Love Decastro too, but the idea of what Poe could be is exciting.
  9. jswalker1981

jswalker1981 Fact > Your Opinion

2,616 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ngata gets moved around because they have Terrence Cody filling the space that Ngata left open. They basically have two NTs that could start for us.
  10. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,266 Messages
    1,411 Likes Received
    If I could draft but two players....it woud be DeCastro and Poe.
  11. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,892 Messages
    2,365 Likes Received
    i think you sign Soliai (or Red Bryant) in FA and draft Poe in 18-23 range (because steelers will take him at 24) and you have instant upgrade at DL
  12. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    Yes but Ratliff remains a highly rated NT, despite his production dropoff. So he is, in theory at least, filling space as well. The front office has sent mixed signals regarding Ratliff's future, saying at least once, they might consider moving him to DE. Perhaps he could remain the NT but be moved around somewhat himself, which would be consistent with Ryan's MO.

It seems to me that this plan might wind up being a very nice middle ground. Granted, it would be highly unorthodox. But Ratliff is already an unorthodox choice for NT.
  13. Deefens

Deefens Member

109 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Rat, lissemore, hatcher, spears, Brent, Poe would already sound like a nice rotation with Geathers battling FA rookie/vet for depth and competition. I think DL would be done, then just work on interior line secondary and back-up qb
  14. hutch1254

hutch1254 Well-Known Member

1,449 Messages
    194 Likes Received
    There is no doubt in my mind the Steelers are looking at this guy. There was buzz by the Steelers about Poe way before the combine and they need to replace a 34 year old Casey Hampton coming of an ACL injury.

Poe really helped himself, too the point where I don't think he'll drop past 20.
  15. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,892 Messages
    2,365 Likes Received
    agreed
    SD just let castillo walk so they might take him at 18
  16. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,491 Messages
    193 Likes Received
  17. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,663 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    I would be surprised if he is there at 14.

It would be different if he was ranked as a 5th rounder before the draft, but he was already a low first rounder and is still the story of the combine.

He keeps being compared to Ngata, who also lacked motor in college, problem is Poe is bigger with better numbers than Ngata at the combine.

He has a high bust risk, but his combine was as Barney from How I met your Mother would say.....Legend........dary.
  18. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,049 Messages
    2,278 Likes Received
    In a trade down scenario i'd love this pick.

We need more big bullies on our team who can impose their will.
  19. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,603 Messages
    361 Likes Received
    Poe scares me, guys that jump this high just because of the combine scares me out of drafting them. Why didn't this translate to the field in college. He played for Memphis, a terrible team that plays terrible teams. Coaches have been said that he takes plays off, even more than normal for big men.

He is a physical athletic freak and his size and power is scart, but so was his performance in college football. It's a big step from playing for Memphis to play for the Dallas Cowboys. If he couldn't dominate the OL in the confrence USA, how is he going to play vs NFL starting OL. Hows his technique, does he play to high, is he lazy and takes plays off?

He has the workout numbers but don't get lost in the combine numbers. I hope Jerry and Ryan looks past one day at the combine.
  20. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,917 Messages
    487 Likes Received
    this...Poe could go before we even pick, but I highly doubt Poe gets out of the teens. So if we want him like I said before we have to take him at 14 no getting cute. Just get our guy and move on.

Heck I wonder if we don't pick Poe would the eagles pick him and just get a MLB later in the draft. We know how much the eagles love to get linemen on both sides of the ball. Imagine the butt hurt if Poe turns out to be a monster that terrorize us for years or be a bust...lol...Its the draft.

as good a decastro might be I think if Poe turns out to be a monster (both make probowl) then he will in turn look 10x better than decastro. Alot of team makes it to the superbowl without a probowl guards. (giants and packers) but it was there d-line play that helped them. Heck our offense was great last year but our defense consistently let us down. Heck you can even get by with a vet guard like the patriots did (the guard we should of got). I think center is a bigger need also. Costa constantly got push back and created no pocket or forced tony romo to move. That and doug free was terrible last year. I wonder if he was playing injured?