1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Dontari Poe

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by fifaguy, Apr 5, 2012.

1. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,362 Messages
    763 Likes Received
    Yes his combine was impressive, but a workout warrior does not necessarily translate to being a dominate force on the football field.

I am starting to see more and more articles hinting at Dallas taking him in the first. Some draft analysts are flat out saying we are taking him if he is available. Obviously some of this pre-draft hype is speculation, but is it possible they have some inside info?

Just out of curiousity, if Jerry does select him. What would be your thoughts? Other than hope for best...
  2. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,330 Messages
    562 Likes Received
    Hopefully he is good enough to start on the nose and allow rat to slide to end.
  3. Carolinacowpoke

Carolinacowpoke Member

70 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I think it would be a huge mistake! Poe definately has the "skill" but lacks the "will" to be elite and IMO will be a bust. Now I hope if we do select him I'm eating so much crow in two years that I fart feathers!
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,119 Messages
    2,928 Likes Received
    I would just say Poe would not be my pick.

There are things I like about him and what he could bring to the team but I think he is a bit of a risk. I do like his size at 6-4 364lbs with great aglity for a man of that size. I think much of the pass rush issue has more to do with the lack of push up the middle than it does with outside pressure. If Poe could bring that it clearly could make this defensive much better.
  5. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,708 Messages
    1,921 Likes Received
    This guy reminds me of Bruce Campbell.

We were even rumored to take Campbell early in that draft but the guy slid all the way to round 4 or 5.

I'd imagine Poe is going to fall because he was so average on the field.

It's crazy that guys like Campbell and Poe aren't sick football players. It's a phenomenon.
  6. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,362 Messages
    763 Likes Received
    It really is. They certainly have the physical attributes.

I'm hoping someone else will take him before the 14th pick, maybe Carolina? But I do have that feeling though about Jerry... I could see him pulling the trigger very early for a player just like Poe.
  7. jswalker1981

jswalker1981 Fact > Your Opinion

2,616 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Imagine the sigh of relief in the chat room when his name gets called before our pick.
  8. Doomsday101

77,119 Messages
    2,928 Likes Received
    I think Jerry will go by what Tom Ciskowski thinks and that of the coaching staff. I don't think he is going to grab any player without these people being heavily involved in the selection
  9. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,219 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    After last year's draft and this year's FA signings, I'm beginning to think (just a little) that JJ is really listening to the coaches.

If Poe is selected, then I will put this on JG/RR more than JJ.

I prefer Cox and Barron over Poe.

Tape doesn't lie. Both these guys are studs on the field in college. Poe...not so much.
  10. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,464 Messages
    398 Likes Received
    Starts Game 1 at NT....so does Brockers.
  11. Doomsday101

77,119 Messages
    2,928 Likes Received
    As I said Poe would not be my pick. I think he is capable but as others I question his desire
  12. cbow44

cbow44 Member

596 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I would take him in the 3rd.
  13. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,938 Messages
    1,241 Likes Received
    The 'catchie' thing about Poe, is that at his size, he is nearly as quick as Jay Ratliff. He would learn a lot about conduct by Jay. I don't think, judging by his dedication at workouts, that he would be long coming into his own sense of contributing to a 3-4 defense. It would also, allow Jay to move out to defensive end, at least 50% of the time. That is a win/win.

Myself, the Dallas first pick boils down, at 14, to Cox, Coples, and DeCastro. I would move down to acquire Barron.
  14. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Watched his game tape against Tulsa, and couldn't be more unimpressed. He had a tremendous size advantage over the midgets lined up across from him and he never used it. He thinks and plays finesse. This guy is Jimmy Kennedy Pt. 2. He's a 360 lbs. gap shooter, and not a particularly good one.
  15. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,704 Messages
    186 Likes Received
    If we take him (god I hope not!)...but if we do, I tell this kid that he's got one job ONLY during his rookie year. "Fire off the ball as fast and as hard as you can and just drive the man in front of you into the QB. Don't worry about the RB...just drive the man in front into the QB on every play!".
  16. kevinhickey

kevinhickey Member

321 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    I was watching path of the draft today and Poe's name came up. One analyst commented on Poe's poor 3 cone drill numbers. He said that the numbers are a telling sign. They talked about his fast 40 time and his size. He is already mentioned as the biggest risk in the draft. Mayock always states that numbers are just numbers but the game film doesn't lie. Has anyone found a analyst that says Poe is the real deal or top 14 material?