1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Draft Headquarters: Combine Info from a scouts perspective

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Feb 26, 2012.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,091 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    http://www.draftheadquarters.com/Combine-Index.htm

Feb 26th 6:50 PM - Arguably the best day of the NFL Scouting Combine is in the books as the quarterbacks, running backs, and receivers have all worked out while the defensive linemen and linebackers put on a show on the bench press. On the field, you have to start with Robert Griffin III's 4.41 40-yard dash, the fastest time at the Combine by a quarterback since Michael Vick entered the league out of Virginia Tech. Although that was the only drill that Griffin took part, it was enough to give teams a reason why they should be willing to sell the farm and trade up for him. All indications currently point to him being the second pick in the draft behind Andrew Luck. Speaking of Luck, Andrew put together a very good 40 as well with a time of 4.59, matching that of Cam Newton from a year ago. Luck will be the first pick in the draft this April and it was nice to see him at least take part in one drill today. A player who surely improved his draft stock with a 4.30 40-yard dash is Georgia Tech wide receiver Stephen Hill
  2. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,091 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Note, for more info from another scouts perspective, just scroll down on webpage to view more notes from a scout.

http://www.draftheadquarters.com/Combine-Index.htm

Feb 25th notes:
    Stanford's David DeCastro has also cemented himself as the top interior offensive lineman in this year's draft with the way that he performed today. He's an NFL-ready guard who also displayed the type of polished technique and fundamentals that scouts expected to see. DeCastro is going to be a very good NFL player and is a player that I wouldn't hesitate to draft in the Top 15 this year. An under-the-radar player who helped himself today was a player that I mentioned in a Stock Watch this season, Iowa guard Adam Gettis. This type of event was made for an undersized, athletic prospect like Gettis as he ran a 4.91 40-yard dash, also displaying the short-area quickness and agility in position drills to warrant a look from a zone-blocking team towards the end of the draft. He helped himself today. A player who certainly made some money was Georgia's Cordy Glenn who ran a 5.03 40-yard dash, showing great speed, fluidity, and all-around athleticism for a player that weighed in at 345 pounds. From people that I've talked to, many people around the league are now considering him as a tackle prospect, as he's done everything possible to prove that he should be worthy of being tried at the position. When you consider that a player like Ohio State's Mike Adams performed very poorly this weekend (19 reps on bench, 5.36 40-yard dash), I don't have any doubt that Glenn has separated himself as the superior prospect this spring. Iowa State's Kelechi Osemele impressed me today with his 5.25 40-yard dash, a time that I certainly didn't think he'd reach. Osemele is still rough around the edges, however he has the combination of size and athleticism that teams look for. Two guard prospects that helped themselves were Midwestern State's Amini Silatolu and Miami (FL)'s Brandon Washington.