1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Draft Question

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by TwoDeep3, Apr 24, 2012.

1. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,448 Messages
    1,107 Likes Received
    I have never really been a draft-nik like some here. My usual behavior is to read what you guys write and then find some small bit I like and go read a bio. This normally sends me into orbit over some draft prospect I have never seen and I hope and pray the Cowboys pick him.

So since this is coming in a day or so, I thought I would get opinions, if you are so inclined.

What would your first two picks be if you were calling the shots at Valley Ranch?

Please name the player, school and position.

Then if you feel up to it, elaborate on why you would take these guys. As if you were selling me a vacuum cleaner at my front door.

Then don't be surprised if I am touting your pick or picks as if I did all the work on it myself.

Enlighten me.
  2. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,811 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Here is my realistic take on the draft.
    1st: Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina
    He is a big corner that has shown he has the athletic ability to flip his hips. I believe he can play press or zone, good speed quickly rising up the boards.

2nd: Amini Silatolu, OG, Midwester State
    Flashes crazy ability with his size, agility, and power. Could end up being a very very good pro. Alot of people consider his ceiling to be higher than Decastro's.

Check out Jake Bequette, DE, Arkansas. He is my pet cat for the draft.
  3. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,359 Messages
    1,347 Likes Received
    David DeCastro and Peter Konz. I am convinced that those 2 players make us the Super Bowl favorite because the Offense would be devastating.
  4. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,721 Messages
    5,249 Likes Received
    I'm surprised a smart dedicated fan like TwoDeep is so draft clueless. You'd think he'd know these players front to back by now.

Fletcher Cox DE Mississippi St. and Amini Silatolu G Midwestern St.

Cox is a legitimate collapse the pocket end in our scheme and Silatolu has a little Larry Allen in him. If that dude played at a big school he might be the first G off the board. He's a dominator who I think will thrive under pro coaching. I don't want to compare him to LA, but you're getting the same type of value in him. The only reason Allen was there in the 2nd in 1994 will be the only reason Silatolu will be in the 2nd round this year.

He will be the steal of this draft, IMO.
  5. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    First Round - S Mark Barron, Alabama:

He's by far the best safety prospect in this draft, and has been discussed as one of the best prospects in recent years behind Eric Berry and Earl Thomas. Was a two-year team captain and the on-the-field defensive QB for the nation's best defense last year, including a shutout of LSU in the national championship game. He was used mostly last year as an in-the-box safety where he flowed downhill and laid the wood. In previous years, however, he played more pass defense, and has shown enough ability to cover TEs and even some slot receivers. Nick Saban said that Barron was asked to do many things at Alabama, and was able to do everything they asked of him.

Second Round - G Amini Silatolu, Midwestern St.:

See Risen Star's post, above, as he pretty much summed it up. The guy has a nasty streak, and was agile enough to play LT at the Division II level. The only question I've seen about him aside from the level of competition was about how quickly he'll pick up the playbook. I think he's a slam dunk if he's available at #45.
  6. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,448 Messages
    1,107 Likes Received
    Not a huge fan of college football. I find the pro game a more pure product.
    Until Goodall stepped in and is turning this into a tea party for little girls.

But thanks for your insight.