1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Draft Strategy Suggestions please.

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Zone' started by tscandal, Aug 13, 2011.

1. tscandal

tscandal New Member

14 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Have a question for you experts. How would you Draft in a 10 Man PPR with a FLEX player (1) that can be QB-RB-WR-TE. I've played before but this one has me a little confused on what a GREAT draft strategy would be. LOOKS like QB's would be premium here but NOT SURE!!
    League where the scoring is like:

Passing:

Each TD = 6

Every 25 yards = 1

Each Int = -2

Rushing:

Each TD = 6

Every 10yards = 1

Receiving:

Each TD = 6

Each reception = 1

Every 10yards = 1

QB-QB-RB-WR-WR-RB or WHAT??????
  2. MilesHigh

MilesHigh Benched

44 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    With so many teams taking the RBBC route, the best thing you can do for yourself is go RB-RB-WR.

RB-WR-RB won't hurt either, but lately it's hard to find a good back in a draft when you're trying to find the guy that is the guy for his team.

QB can wait. No matter what, unless it's a freakishly messed up game, a QB will get you double digits every week.

The smartest thing you can do is to build your team in the draft to consist of only 1 QB, 1 D/ST, 1 K and 1 TE... fill in the rest of your spots with WRs and RBs.

Don't take a QB until the 4th or 5th round. If you're drafting via snake draft and if you're on your current pick, and you see a guy you know you want but don't pick again for another 18 spots, take him while you can. He won't be there later.

Go with your gut. First instinct is usually correct.

If you can target one of these guys, do so... because these were the guys most commonly owned in Championship teams. Trust your gut. Don't take a guy that you think is a one year wonder. For me, those guys are Vick/Foster/DMC/Hillis.

Michael Vick
    Aaron Rodgers
    Arian Foster
    Darren McFadden
    Jason Witten
    Peyton Hillis
    Patriots D/ST
    Vincent Jackson
    Ahmad Bradshaw
    Bears D/ST
    Chris Johnson

Also remember... never take a Kicker before the last round, if any... D/ST can wait too. These things are so unpredictable.
  3. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,406 Messages
    248 Likes Received
    I would try to land two mid tier guys and pick on studs that people are passing over at other positions early on. Instead of hunting for Vick/Brees/Manning/Rodgers/Rivers look to grab Brady/Romo/Ryan then later on add Eli/Freeman/Big Ben/Schaub or even Cutler. There are a lot of really solid fantasy QBs out there this season and QB scoring isnt that far off between the first and 2nd tier.

Last season in my league Brees put up 370 points and Eli had 312. Eli in the later rounds is much better value then Brees in the 2nd.
  4. tscandal

tscandal New Member

14 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just wondering as the REAL NFL seems to be going to a Passing League, and this Scoring System that I am playing under, seems to reward certain kinds of QB's and Running Backs.
    *receptions x 1-pt, *every ten yards *recieving & *rushing x 1-pt & *each TD x 6-pts .....................

Seems Like PASS CATCHING Running Backs and QB's that chunk the ball LOTS of Yrds and Throw for Touchdowns would be the "BEST BUYS" in this league with THOSE scoring variables. (Especially being able to use a "FLEX" player).

Let's say PICK #6 in the draft .............
    WHO would U "TARGET" in the first FOUR ROUNDS with this scoring system driving your Thinkin ??????
    (Looking for your Advice)
  5. locked&loaded

locked&loaded its redskin season

2,827 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    I used to think this aswell. But cutler ruined my team last year. I havent researched it but I believe that the top qbs will be more consistent, while your Cutlers will get you 2 points one week and 30 the next.

Get a Qb that is dependable
  6. MilesHigh

MilesHigh Benched

44 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Pass catching RB would be Adrian Peterson, but if you have #6 you won't get him. Maybe Chris Johnson and Arian Foster.
  7. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,406 Messages
    248 Likes Received
    I agree Cutler would be a last resort but guys like Eli/Freeman/Big Ben/Schaub have the potential to be top 10 FF QBs this season and you dont have to grab that too early. People forget that Big Ben missed 3 games last year and Eli had 4000 yards.
  8. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,632 Messages
    2,460 Likes Received
    Always depends on where you are drafting and who has been picked.

But I'd say in a 10 team league you should prob at the very least take a RB in the 1st round. If you're 9th or 10 and the best PPR RBs are gone, then maybe a top PPR WR would work.
  9. tscandal

tscandal New Member

14 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So just as in the NON-PPR leagues . . . . . . the popular picks would GO
    RB-RB First 2 rounds, then Maybe QB-WR?????
  10. DFWJC

23,632 Messages
    2,460 Likes Received
    If you are picking in the top 5-6 slots, for sure take a top end PPR RB.
    For sure Foster, Johnson, Peterson, Rice, Charles...even McCoy...and maybe McFadden are all great PPR backs. MJD too, but he has some injury risk. Guys like Turner get devalued slightly b/c they never catch any passes.

Don't lock into RB-RB ...let the draft come to you. If you pick 2nd for example, you would take the stud RB with your 1st pick but when your 2nd pick comes up at pick #19 and a WR like Roddy White or Andre Johnson is miraculously still there...you really should take them (assuming the top 8-10 RBs are gone). Maybe even if Rodgers is there at 19 or 21, you could consider it too.
    I prefer to take QBs later, but....
    Be flexible.
  11. tscandal

tscandal New Member

14 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So {considering the scoring syst.}, my "general" direction should be for the draft . . . . . .

PASS CATCHING Running Back
    Top Q.B./Elite W.R
    Elite W.R./ Top Q.B.
    Good W.R./ reggie bush type R.B.

Is there a site (online) where I can PLUG this scoring system, that my league is using, and SEE who they rate for Top to bottom???
  12. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,361 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    yes that direction is right, but by pass catching i hope you mean top running back that also gets a good amount of passes his way? i will also add that when you are looking to fill that second WR spot, if no one is there that is better than a guy you can get next round you should grab a top TE because there are only a few who get 100 balls and ten TDs a year and they are as valuable in ppr as a #2 WR. and i think a better QB2 is a better bet than a better WR2 because a good QB on a bad night is still going to get you 15 points but a WR on a bad night is going to be 5
  13. DFWJC

23,632 Messages
    2,460 Likes Received
    :rolleyes: Let me fix that:
    There are only 1 or 2 TEs in history that have ever gotten 100 receptions AND 10 TDs (and only one currently ranked in the top tier--Dallas Clark) so the odds are very close to zero that none will this year.

But maybe you meant that they get 100 balls thrown their way?
  14. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,361 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    yes this is what i meant, a guy like gates is devalued in PPR to a guy like witten
  15. DFWJC

23,632 Messages
    2,460 Likes Received
    very true..Clark too