1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Drafting a new backup QB?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Keystone_Heavy, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Keystone_Heavy

Keystone_Heavy Member

275 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    seeing as Kitna is old and getting himself hurt outside of games, and McGee is, well.... McGee, do you think we should go after a new backup QB? Why or why not? And if we should, who?

I think as far as a late round guy goes I would like Ryan Lindley if he was there. Big guy coming from a pro style offense. Physicaly, there isn't alot lacking from Lindley. The main concerns are the on-field production. He isn't performing as well as he did his junior season (though he did have Vincent Brown to through to then). And he completion % has never been where you want it to be, and from what I understand its more from decsion making than actual accuracy. I think he would be worth a late rounder though.
  2. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Good question.

I'm fine with McGee as our immediate backup to Romo moving forward. Although, I don't know how many years he has left on his contract. I think you will see this team pick up another developmental QB during this draft.
  3. Keystone_Heavy

Keystone_Heavy Member

275 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I have never been impressed by McGee at all. whether its preseason vs third stringers, or last year against the Eagles backups with all of our starters in around him, he just seems flat out bad to me.

I'd rather have Rusty Smith or someone of that caliber.
  4. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    BTW, SDogo can confirm/reconfirm, but I believe he said the Cowboys were scouting A&M's Tannehill pretty heavily, as well as the San Diego St. QB as well.

Of all the draft "gurus" I have come to respect Wes Bunting a lot. However, for whatever this year when grading the QB prospects, I've disagreed with Bunting more than I ever have. I believe he has Tannehill going in the first round this year which I think is too high. IMO, Tannehill has the prototypical size/physical attributes and we saw just a glance of his production as the full-time starter this season. I think he's too raw a QB to go in the 1st round, even in the back end of it.

Having said all that, I think he's an interesting prospect with future starter potential to a team that can afford to sit him and develop him behind a starter for a few years.
  5. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, I don't blame you. I begrudgingly have accepted him because he has shown some progress. But then again, he looked so out of sorts his first few seasons that any slight improvement looked major. He still telegraphs his passes and intended receiver too much for my liking, and seems to lack pocket awareness. However, it's been another season so I'm guessing he can comport himself enough to man the position for a few games in a pinch. I don't see him as our future starter though.
  6. Keystone_Heavy

Keystone_Heavy Member

275 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Tannehill is interesting. I doubt he will go in the first round. Considering 1) how many QBs were taken in the first 2 rounds last year and B) Luck, Landry Jones and Barkley (maybe even RG3) have all shown more polish and project to be drafted before him.
  7. windward

windward NFL Historian

14,831 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    I see the same in Tannehill. If he is there in the second, I'd be tempted. Even if we had to move up a bit.

Btw, on an off topic note, your Spartans looked like they made quite a bit of progress this year( unlike my Hawaii Warriors lol) Good luck going forward in the WAC ( or maybe in the Mountain West if Boise and SDSU leave) hopefully we can continue to schedule some non conference games. There has been a lot of fun encounters over the years.
  8. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,979 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    I want Griffin learning from Romo in Dallas, but he may e gone before even our first pick. I'd think about it with our first pick, though it would be unpopular for sure.
  9. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It would certainly be intriguing to say the least.
  10. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah they did, didn't they, lol. Sad to say this was considered a good year for them.

To be honest, I didn't watch a single game of theirs this year. If Boise and SDSU leave it's only going to make the conference that much more of a joke, but a whole lot more competitive.
  11. drawnstripes

drawnstripes Benched

167 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Chandler Harnish, QB, Northern Illinois

6-2 220

this kid is a gamer
  12. 8FOR!3

8FOR!3 Well-Known Member

1,323 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    If we DO take a quarterback, I'll be shocked if it's not Tannehill.
  13. cruz_aedo861

cruz_aedo861 Member

105 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Tannehill will be gone late 1st early 2nd and RG3 will go before him. I haven't seen anything from Tannehill besides his measureables that i like and RG3 is a nice project who i like a lot but will go to high. I would be happy with a late round project pick someone like g.j. kinne.
  14. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,722 Messages
    634 Likes Received
    That QB with Wisconsin Russell Wilson is playing well. I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Cowboy uniform.

I trust Garrett in finding a QB with talent and developing that talent. Garrett was high on Dalton last year according to rumors. I think Garrett knows a little about QBs.;)