1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Drafting Claiborne vs. Brockers/Wagner

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Zordon, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,181 Messages
    4,292 Likes Received
    Which would have been better for a 4-3 defense?

Could you imagine for a second, Wagner-Lee-Carter as our linebacker unit?

How about a rotation of Hatcher-Ratliff-Brockers on the inside?
  2. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

3,546 Messages
    435 Likes Received
    That would have been very nice indeed.

Probably one of the best front 7 in the league on paper.

But we had a 3-4 at the time and were coming off a year that secondary was the most pressing issue.
  3. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,149 Messages
    1,129 Likes Received
    Or some combination of Brockers/Wagner/Hayward would have had them miles ahead.
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,560 Messages
    5,290 Likes Received
    The Mark Barron question comes back into play, as well, now.
  5. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,815 Messages
    7,195 Likes Received
    4-3 or 3-4...I'll take Brockers and Wagner. And I said that right after the draft.
  6. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,660 Messages
    321 Likes Received
    I am never a proponent of giving up multiple picks for a single player.

Both those guys would look good now. But we have Mo ...
  7. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,556 Messages
    1,548 Likes Received
    No it doesnt. Claiborne was the right pick
  8. da_whiz_kid

da_whiz_kid Active Member

864 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    mo. quite simply because he is here and they are not. and im bias as hell. lol cant miss what we never had. how do you feel about ogeltree this year?
  9. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Well since no Tampa 2 team in history has ever traded up to the top 10 to take a corner I'd rather have 2 future pro bowlers at dt and linebacker. Tampa did not even stay where they were to take Claiborne.

Spencer played up to a contract and it is like we decided if he is that nice we just can't afford it. It is moving out of a house bc the property taxes are too high.

Brockers is going to be an absolute star btw. He'd be a star in any scheme. Really good offensive lines like San Francisco can't move him and he gives great inside push He had 4 or 5 sacks in 12 games. Btw. William Hayes might be a decent piece. He had decent pressure as their third end.
  10. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,610 Messages
    103 Likes Received
    Hindsight is always 20/20, we did what was best for us at that time.

I'd rather have JJ Watt over Tyron (although thats a dirty one noone wants to admit).....but who cares, its over now.
  11. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,416 Messages
    1,019 Likes Received
    They weren't a Tampa 2 team when they made the trade. Also according to Kiffin they are not going to run the "zone" like everyone is crying about. He is going to let these guys play man like they were suppose to. People just don't want to read or listen they rather complain. SMH:rolleyes:
  12. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,725 Messages
    2,503 Likes Received
    You're right.
  13. cowboysooner

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    The point of the question is by its nature reflective of last years draft. If you don't like the question or discussion okay I guess but it is the very reason this move is questionable.

If we had taken zeitler and Cordy Glenn last year switching to a 4-3 would not be as big of a deal.
  14. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I remember when the entire board crapped their pants when it was rumored we would have taken Wagner in the 2nd round.
  15. cowboysooner

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    I wonder if they had not gotten Claiborne if they would not have traded spencer for a pick on the second day of the draft.
  16. rbr651

rbr651 Active Member

635 Messages
    26 Likes Received

The improvement that we made at CB I think was much more important than upgrading at LB or in the front 3 at the time of the draft. Nobody new that we would be switching back to a 43 last year, hell as far as that goes nobody knows for sure that we'll be playing a 43 next year, yeah it's probable but not definitive, at least not yet.
  17. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

6,131 Messages
    651 Likes Received
    We still made the right decision. Even in hindsight. I still believe Claiborne will be a better player than Brockers and there was no need for ANOTHER ILB on this team. Just wasn't.
  18. el_chevo

el_chevo El Serrano

872 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sometimes, I believe, folks tend to overlook one component of athletes - the mind. You can draft all the talent you want, but if they are too mentally challenged to develop, well then, you have made a draft mistake.
  19. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,779 Messages
    522 Likes Received
    I guarantee you most GMs would still make the same trade. A top corner is infinitely more valuable than a linebacker or interior defensive lineman. Brockers lucked out with 4 sacks in 3 games. Otherwise he was pretty ineffective, and almost certainly will be in the remainder of this career.

Wagner would have seen the field this year, but only because of our injuries. Without the injuries, he would have been a special teams player.
  20. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,430 Messages
    1,333 Likes Received
    Well, if we are talking hindsight, Casey Heyward is a prototypical zone CB. Incredible ball skills -- good tackler, etc.

If you are talking hindsight AND have the hindsight of knowing the team was moving to a 4-3 Tampa 2 defense the next year, taking Bockers in the 1st and Heyward in the 2nd would have much better in hinsight.

Again, a lot of hindsight there.