1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Drinking age back to 18?

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Rackat, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Over 100 college Deans are advocating the drinking age be lowered back to 18. It makes sense to me.

-Vote at 18
    -register for the Selctive Service aat 18
    -enlist and go to war at 18
    -go to prison, not juvie, at 18
    -considered an adult for all other things at 18 (Jury duty, etc)

What do you think?
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    I agree. If we are going to say you are an adult at 18 then they should have the same rights as any other adult.
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,312 Messages
    4,645 Likes Received
    Ding Ding Ding

Heck I remember being on leave for the xmas/new year holiday one year and me and some buddies went out. We were not 21 yet and the bar still let us in.

Cops came in and IDed us. Of course we showed our military IDs, mine Army and the other two guys marines. The Officer said...well I should report both you and the bar for this, but in my book if you are old enough to serve in the military you are old enough to have a few beers, just make sure you boys have a designated driver. Then winked at us and before turning around said...this we'll defend to which I replied thanks Drill Sgt. He smiled and walked away.

My buddies asked me what he meant by this we'll defend and why I called him Drill Sgt. So I explained that Drill Sgts wear a patch on their uni pocket and it says that on the bottom so I knew he used to be a drill sgt.
  4. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,802 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    I agree. If your old enough to vote, serve on a jury and in the military you are old enough to drink. Either lower the one......Or raise the age on the others
  5. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,279 Messages
    2,469 Likes Received
    Can someone satiate my curiosity here?

Aren't there some European countries where no drinking age is imposed and students are allowed to bring beer or wine to school?
  6. BrAinPaiNt

61,312 Messages
    4,645 Likes Received
    When I was stationed in Korea the bars never checked ID and I never heard of a drinking age...Heck we had budweiser in coke machines in the barracks. :laugh2:
  7. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Keep it at 21. I don't want any drunk 18-yo's going into voting booths.
  8. BrAinPaiNt

61,312 Messages
    4,645 Likes Received
    It does not stop drunks from 21 on up.:laugh2:

And there has to be some serious legal drunks voting to vote a great deal of the politicians we have had over the years.

My state is pumping out some serious moonshine out around election times.
  9. yeahyeah

yeahyeah New Member

502 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeap..if you can take a bullet and vote..you can have a beer..stupid law.
  10. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,954 Messages
    1,536 Likes Received
    One of the reasons I heard the deans use for the change is that they think it will reduce binge drinking. Since many of the college students are under the age of 21 they don't have an opportunity to drink whenever they want, so when they do they tend to over indulge. Sounds fairly reasonable.

I agree with everyone else in that if you are considered an adult at 18 then you should have the right to do adult things. Drinking is an adult thing. Drinking responsibly is also and adult thing. So if you screw up and drink and hurt someone driving or the like then you will deal with the adult repercussions.
  11. utrunner07

utrunner07 Well-Known Member

9,075 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    I have no problem with lowering the drinking age to 18 but I see stronger enforcement of DUI needs to come along with it...perhaps if you are 21 and under and get a DUI your license is suspended for a year automatically, something along those lines..
  12. ScipioCowboy

15,279 Messages
    2,469 Likes Received
    Thanks.

I wonder how our accident rate compares and if there's a way to truly gauge the impact of underage drinking laws.
  13. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    Growing up the drinking age was 18 and when it changed to 21 I was over 21.
  14. BrAinPaiNt

61,312 Messages
    4,645 Likes Received
    I think there was some study a few years ago about something along those lines in Denmark. Less crime rate even though they had alcohol, prostitution and drugs being legal.
  15. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    My goodness a topic that has 100 percent agreement from Conservative, Liberal and independents? This has to be a 1st. :laugh2:
  16. ScipioCowboy

15,279 Messages
    2,469 Likes Received
    Of course there's less crime! Because less things are illegal.:D

In all seriousness, I support lowering the drinking age and even legalizing drugs. I don't support legalizing prostitution per se, but I think prostitution stings are a waste of time. So I guess having a law that goes unenforced is pretty pointless.
  17. BrAinPaiNt

61,312 Messages
    4,645 Likes Received
    Less violent crimes. Not just crime overall.

On the position of prostitution. I think it should be legal and taxed a good deal.

However as something that was discussed in my favorite book, Shogun, have it set up so that they are only in designated areas. In other words, no street walkers for lack of a better term. Also keep all for a state's county in a designated area that way you don't have to worry about mom and pop taking little johnny out to applebees and having a cat house next door.:laugh2:
  18. ScipioCowboy

15,279 Messages
    2,469 Likes Received
    Just admit it. You don't like "streetwalkers" because they're the least attractive type of prostitute. They never look like Julia Roberts or even Laura San Giacomi.
  19. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think "21" is a federal law. I think most states abide by it for fear of losing highway funds, right? In other words, extortion.
  20. BrAinPaiNt

61,312 Messages
    4,645 Likes Received
    Well I have nothing against street walkers per say. I know you are joking around so I get that.

I just think that if you want legalized prostitution to work you would have it set up in an area where it can be controlled and you don't have to worry about public outcry from it being right in town, or next to a school or something along those lines.

Furthermore, it would be safer for the worker if they were in a place of business where things could be controlled more instead of getting in a car or alley with some john.

Now as far as the two ladies you mentioned...Julia is somewhat pretty but man alive she has a freakishly large mouth. If I see her in a movie I lose concentration because I catch myself staring out her huge mouth. :laugh1:

I did not even recognized the other name you put in so I had to look her up before realizing it was the other lady in the movie...did not even know that the crazy woman from Quigley down under was the same girl in that movie.:laugh2: