1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Eagles Retiring #5? What about Dallas retiring #9?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by sadams, Sep 20, 2013.

1. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,149 Messages
    657 Likes Received
    I enjoyed reading that but I think you are missing something here. Maybe Romo is giving it all he has but he is simply just not good enough? I think is mental capacity is what holds him back to be honest. You can't squeeze blood out of a turnip.. ya know? For being UDFA, he has accomplished a ton.. he just doesn't have what it takes to truly LEAD a team deep into the playoffs or to a super bowl. It's time to look for his replacement.
  2. Supercowboy1986

Supercowboy1986 Active Member

954 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    meh.. if they didnt retire #12 or #8 i don't see #9 happening

to be honest i like that the cowboys don't retire numbers
  3. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

33,218 Messages
    922 Likes Received
    I don't think this is true. I think he has enough but he must accept certain limitations. If he does that, then it's possible for him. If he does not, then he may not ever win a championship.
  4. dstovall5

dstovall5 Well-Known Member

1,735 Messages
    853 Likes Received
    Have you seen the past super bowl winners? It's the other areas where we don't compare to these playoff teams, all the past superbowl QB winners have had a great supporting cast around them. It takes more then just the QB to win the superbowl or make a deep playoff run, because if it didn't then GB would win the superbowl every year.
  5. mrmojo

mrmojo Active Member

734 Messages
    210 Likes Received
    From the Eagles website these are the numbers they have retired:

15 Steve Van Buren
    40 Tom Brookshier
    44 Pete Retzlaff
    60 Chuck Bednarik
    70 Al Wistert
    99 Jerome Brown
  6. dstovall5

dstovall5 Well-Known Member

1,735 Messages
    853 Likes Received
    Romo will never get his # retired if he doesn't do anything in playoffs, though his career isn't over yet. Also, why didn't the Cowboys retire #88?????
  7. boysfanindc

boysfanindc Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,693 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    Because retired number for the Boys don't exist.
  8. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

46,930 Messages
    1,825 Likes Received
    Retire #9? I can't see that happening.
  9. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,048 Messages
    880 Likes Received
    I was wondering if anyone was going to point this out? 22 as well since Emmitt.

Here's a bit of trivia. Very few players of the Landry era wore a number in the 90's and no player wore #49, because that was Landry's number.
  10. ufcrules1

6,149 Messages
    657 Likes Received
    And what makes you assume he is going to accept certain limitations if he hasn't done so before? I see the same boneheaded decision making out of him year in and year out. It's like he doesn't learn or something. All I can attribute that to is his mental capacity just isn't there. I mean.. how on earth can he not even look at Dez when he has owned Flowers all day and they are covering him one on one in the end zone?
  11. boysfanindc

boysfanindc Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,693 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    Have you seen his wife? He certainly has the mental capacity to figure some things out.
  12. ufcrules1

6,149 Messages
    657 Likes Received
    You are talking about super bowls... we have won just one playoff game since Romo has been here. This is bigger than just the team around Romo. What you aren't grasping is Romo is PART of the problem here. On the other Superbowl teams you are mentioning.. their QB is not part of the problem.
  13. ufcrules1

6,149 Messages
    657 Likes Received
    Touche! I'm not saying Romo is dumb, I'm just saying he doesn't have the mental capacity to play at an extremely high level like we need him to. I think Romo is an awesome all around guy, but I don't think he is the QB to lead this team deep in the playoffs or even to a super bowl.
  14. ABQCOWBOY

33,218 Messages
    922 Likes Received
    I made no such assumptions. I said, "If he does that"

The word "if" denotes the fact that this is something that is in question.
  15. CowboyManDan

CowboyManDan Active Member

1,507 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Heck no should Romo's number be retired.

Unless he wins a ring. It's simple.
  16. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,392 Messages
    1,250 Likes Received
    Since when is being compared to McNabb suppose to make one feel good? McNabb is a dingbat with no rings.
  17. lostar2009

lostar2009 Active Member

488 Messages
    60 Likes Received
    Danny White will roll over in his grave ...
  18. ABQCOWBOY

33,218 Messages
    922 Likes Received
    He might drive straight to the Stadium with 40 cans of gas and burn the whole thing down.

LOL
    lostar2009 likes this.
  19. CrownCowboy

CrownCowboy Active Member

327 Messages
    94 Likes Received
    I think it really is based on what the player meant to the franchise in the overall scheme of things.

They retired McNabb's number because he led them to the most success that pathetic organization has ever had. McNabb's number wouldnt be retired here if he was a Cowboy and did what he did.

Even if Tony does in Dallas what McNabb did in Philly, considering the success the Cowboy's have had in it's past, I doubt he would be worthy of being hung up with the likes of who we have in our ring of honor.

I guess you could compare Danny White for us to McNabb for them. White when to four straight NFC Championship games and lost all of them. He is not in our ring of honor, though some are making a push for it now.

That's the way I see things anyway.
  20. The Quest for Six

The Quest for Six Well-Known Member

5,936 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    Romo isn't worthy to carry Roy WIlliam's Shoulder pads.....but as far as having his number retired, HELL NO!!!