1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

End of the Mark Sanchez era.

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Cowboy Brian, Dec 3, 2012.

1. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,234 Messages
    1,820 Likes Received
    Yeah, Orton is better.
  2. Supercowboy1986

Supercowboy1986 Active Member

979 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    Ha Ha funny joke
  3. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

1,950 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    No! I don't ever want to see the Sanchize era end. It's too funny.
  4. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,815 Messages
    276 Likes Received
    Problem is he doesn't have enough skins on the wall for a team to bring him in to nurture their young QB. I expect next year a team will bring him in to compete for starting, he will lose and that may be all she wrote for him in the league. If a GM is a fan of him I can see him being like David Carr a single team career backup.
  5. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,420 Messages
    758 Likes Received
    The Cardinals will probably pick him up. They are a mess at QB as well.
  6. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,361 Messages
    1,395 Likes Received
    I would not give up on Sanchez just yet either.

We have seen QBs be given up on over the years only to come back and have success in a different setting. Steve Young is the poster child for this. Joe Theisman, Doug Williams, Jim Plunkett, the list goes on.

There is nothing wrong with Sanchez talent wise. He has everything you look for in a QB. He has some things that need to be corrected in the way of his mechanics and he can make questionable decisions but I don't know if that's more a product of the offense and the talent around him or if it's something within his make up.

The real problem I have with Sanchez is that he does not throw for a very high percentage and that he takes way too many sacks but again, that could be talent related. He does not have very good talent around him at WR IMO.

I mean, if you look at his receivers since he's been in the League, he really has not had much to work with at all.

2009 Jerricho Cotchery - 57 Catches, 821 Yards, 3 TDs, 58.6 YPG
    2010 Braylon Edwards - 53 Catches, 904 Yards, 7 TDs, 56.5 YPG
    2011 Dustin Keller - 65 Catches, 815 Yards, 5 TDs, 50.9 YPG
    2012 (12 Games) Jeremy Kerley - 48 Catches, 701 Yards, 2 TDs, 58.4 YPG

Really, his best set of receivers were probably 2010. He had Edwards, Santonio Holmes, Jerricho Cotchery, Dustin Keller and Tomlinson at RB in 2010 but nobody had more then 53 catches.
  7. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,420 Messages
    758 Likes Received
    I don't know if Plunkett should be on that list. How long are you supposed to wait? The Patriots had him for 5 years. He then spent another 2 in San Francisco. His first year in Oakland he only attempted 15 passes. I don't think it is reasonable to expect the Patriots to wait more than 8 years before success is finally accomplished.

And let's face it, the Raiders had success while Plunkett was the QB, but there were a lot of QBs that could have won with those teams. Plunkett wasn't asked to do a lot. In his 8 years with the Raiders he only finished in the top ten in yards once, the top ten in TDs once and the top ten in passer rating once.

I agree that the Bucs didn't give Young much time to develop. That was a poorly run franchise. That poor management and ownership were also responsible for Williams not remaining around for a few more years. The coach McKay wanted to keep Doug Williams, but the owner refused to pay Doug Williams a reasonable salary. He was the lowest paid starting QB, so Williams decided to bolt to the USFL.

I may not even put Theisman on your list. Sure the Dolphins drafted him, but they didn't give up on him. They just couldn't agree to a contract, so Theisman went the CFL route before the Redskins acquired his rights.
  8. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    He'll follow the David Carr, Byron Leftwhich Matt Leinert career curve of flamed out high 1st round draft picks who manage a 12 year career as a backup while doing absolutely nothing. It's not a bad life and pretty hard to screw up unless you just blatantly can't pick up an NFL offense (Vince Young).
  9. Lonestar94

Lonestar94 Well-Known Member

3,080 Messages
    405 Likes Received
    Sanchez is starting on Sunday.
  10. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,234 Messages
    1,820 Likes Received
    That cat has at least nine lives.
  11. vta

vta The Proletariat