1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Ernie Sims - Sam Linebacker

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Galian Beast, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

8,106 Messages
    731 Likes Received
    Anyone think we re-sign Ernie Sims, and he plays as our sam linebacker?

I mean to an extent there isn't much need to retain him, going into a new system, it's all going to be different next year any ways, but I'd certainly like to see him on the roster again next year, and I don't think it would be altogether that expensive. Sam is probably the least important spot in the 4-3.

Carter - Lee - Sims sounds pretty good to me.
  2. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,282 Messages
    636 Likes Received

Wouldn't he have to cover the TE? Is that something he does well?
  3. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,156 Messages
    1,101 Likes Received
    50-50 at best Sims is even on the roster next year.

He was an OK stopgap player considering how desperate they were.
  4. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,175 Messages
    594 Likes Received
    hes much more of a will LB

backup to carter - if even on the team
  5. Galian Beast

8,106 Messages
    731 Likes Received
    Better than Dan Connor...
  6. craig71

craig71 Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam

2,575 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    The biggest issue with Sims is his injury history. Concussions have always plagued Sims since his college days and even in an abbreviated 2012 season.

Craig
  7. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,925 Messages
    538 Likes Received
    I really hope we can upgrade from Ernie Sims. He didn't have a job and is on his 4th team in 4 years for a reason, hes just not that good. Undersized and just not quite athletic enough to have a successful career in the NFL. Backup and special teams? Sure. No way we should accept Ernie Sims as a stater going into the year.
  8. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

9,936 Messages
    2,825 Likes Received
    Sims ran a 4.5 forty and had a 41" vert.

His previous issues were primarily mental.

I pulled up the All-22 and just focused on him in 3 games. It was amazing how much of the field he covered.
  9. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,156 Messages
    1,101 Likes Received
    Mental, as in brain injury... the guy is a walking concussion about to happen.

He had 5 concussions (that they know of) in college and an untold number in the pro so far including one all the back in week 16 of 2012....

How many IFFY medical red flag linebackers do you want on the roster next year? I'm crossing my fingers that Lee and Carter can come back and defy the "injury prone" whispers, however, I'm not sure it it's wise to double down on another medical red flag in Sims.
  10. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

35,048 Messages
    2,591 Likes Received
    I didn't know about his concussive injuries. If that's true, and I don't doubt you PK, then that's why he may not be a good choice. I see the skills. He's more a Will IMO.
  11. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

9,936 Messages
    2,825 Likes Received
    That is a big problem. That rules out anything more then a vet minimum no-guaranteed-money contract to come to camp.
  12. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

9,955 Messages
    1,112 Likes Received
    I think they'll bring him to camp and let him compete. Why not? You never know how he will respond to Kiffin and his scheme. If he doesn't play well enough, you let him walk.

His concussion issues are worrisome though. If he does play well enough to win a spot, do you trust him to be there for a 16 game season?

However, he would be less likely to get concussed as a 43 WLB than he would as a 34 ILB.
  13. Supercowboy1986

Supercowboy1986 Active Member

972 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    this. im not saying sims is the best LB ever but to say he was underwhleming is pretty dumb. he filled a nice role for us with very little money tied to him and it wouldn't be a terrible idea to bring him back for maybe the same contact? (i think it was 1 year/700k or maybe 2 years 1.1 mill) which he would prolly consider being that this is his 4th rodeo unless another team grabs him for a bigger contract which isn't necessiarly out the realm of possibility. in general players that are grabbed out of the street will take anything you give them and usually look for extensions with said team. granted this is all speculation on my part but i try to look at it the way he is looking at it. hes a new father and newly married and even if he gabbing another minimum wage NFL contract (which is 6 figures as previously mentioned) i think he goes for it without thinking twice.
  14. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,811 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I originally thought that Carter would play the Sam and we would resign Sims to play the Wil. After putting some more thought into it Carter needs to play the Wil. I would still try and bring Sims back for a reasonable deal to back up Carter at the Wil spot and give us the ability to move Carter to Sam and play Sims at Wil in a pinch. He played ILB for us but he is really a Wil LB. He might just flourish in this scheme.
  15. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

3,430 Messages
    1,174 Likes Received
    He's super fast and athletic and specializes in coverage. A 4-3 backfield of Lee, Carter and Sims would probably be the fastest in the league. I say bring him back without question. I'd rather bring him back than Spencer because he fits more of a role and will be much cheaper.
  16. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

1,672 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    A 230 pound SAM is not geared toward success. At best, he's brought back as a depth player.
  17. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

3,430 Messages
    1,174 Likes Received
    The best SAM in the league, Von Miller, is 230 lbs.
  18. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

1,672 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    Von Miller is over 240 pounds. He's also 6'3", while Sims is 6'. Not even close to being the same type of player.
  19. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

35,048 Messages
    2,591 Likes Received
    I'm still intrigued by the idea of playing him at safety some. You could put Carter at the Jake and Sims at the Will but that may not be the best position for Carter.
  20. Galian Beast

8,106 Messages
    731 Likes Received
    This is a bit misleading.

He was drafted by the lions, traded in a multi player trade to the eagles. His original contract expired, and then he signed with the colts for a year.