1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPN: Archer Chat recap: All about opportunity - 04/3/14

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Apr 3, 2014.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

32,242 Messages
    316 Likes Received
    [IMG]
    IRVING, Texas -- We had another spirited chat on Wednesday in which we touched on a number of subjects. One that I will delve further into here in a bit is why the Dallas Cowboys didn’t sign Kenny Britt or Hakeem Nicks, and why I don’t believe Chris Johnson will be coming here. But we also discussed: The Cowboys approach to free agency. The possibility of signing DeMarco Murray to an extension. If Anthony Barr is in play at No.

Rich (New Jersey)

Hi Todd - Has the Cowboys offseason transactions have Dallas rethinking about who they want in this years draft or do they still have specific needs and go after that player ?

Todd Archer
    (12:01 PM)

No, what I think they have done in free agency has filled some spots where they don't HAVE to grab a position in the draft. Don't get me wrong, they have a lot of needs remaining, but by signing the three defensive linemen they won't be in a position where they draft for need.That's a smart approach, IMO.

Pete (MD)

Time for the Cowboys to sign Spencer and D. Manning (ideally to 1-year deals).

Todd Archer
    (12:03 PM)

I don't think you'll see Danieal Manning here. He's going to be 32. They don't believe in signing a "progress stopper" right now. They believe they can find a guy over the summer if the spot requires it. They're rolling with their young guys right now. As for Spencer, I think he comes back and I think it's on a one-year deal. Nobody knows for sure when he will get on the field this summer, so he doesn't have a lot of leverage.

shaun (tx)

Who you got in the final 4?

Todd Archer
    (12:04 PM)

I had Michigan State, so that hurts. I think I'm going with Florida, but Wisconsin is playing really well. To me it's wide open.

free (cali)

How do the cowboys defend the skins now with the addition of jackson to go along with garcon, morris, and rg3

Todd Archer
    (12:05 PM)

Great question. You forgot Andre Roberts in that mix too. The Cowboys have done a decent job on Jackson, for the most part. Garcon has hurt them. Morris can kill the clock with the pounding style. But is RG3 going to be the quarterback he was as a rookie? Will new coach Jay Gruden have what it takes to keep it all together? I'm not sold on Gruden, honestly. I don't know if he'll ride Morris the way he should. He got away from the run way too much in Cincinnati.

Todd Archer
    (12:06 PM)

And I say that while not being a huge "you have to run the ball," guy. You have to do it some, but I'm not sure Gruden will do it enough.

Andre (Atl)

How is washington and Ny able to make big FA splashes and there cap situation is similar to the cowboys?

Todd Archer
    (12:07 PM)

They've chosen to make those big signings. The Cowboys haven't. The Cowboys could have signed anybody. All they had to do was keep doing business as usual by restructuring a ton of contracts and setting up the new deals in a way where they would be restructured in Year 2.

Continue reading...http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/50316/cowboys-with-todd-archer
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2014
    Duane likes this.
  2. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,130 Messages
    6,913 Likes Received
    Archer Q&A... check it.
  3. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,200 Messages
    5,430 Likes Received
    I am starting to hate this term.
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,795 Messages
    1,669 Likes Received
    yeah what progress has been stopped? You have to have some to begin with.
    guag, Air Force One, SWG9 and 4 others like this.
  5. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Exactly. Are there some great young safety prospects that will not reach their full potential this year? All I see is some small school , mid-round picks that the team is gambling on.
  6. Heelsboy

Heelsboy Well-Known Member

318 Messages
    428 Likes Received
    What's wrong with being from a small school? Plenty of NFL greats and good players have been from small schools, I have never understood this argument.
  7. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,620 Messages
    5,779 Likes Received
    Interesting...
  8. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,858 Messages
    7,580 Likes Received
    Nothing, other than it might take them a little more time to adjust.

I don't not want Danieal Manning because he might be a progress stopper, anyway. I don't want him because he's old, and otherwise unremarkable. I was more interested in Decoud.
  9. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,620 Messages
    5,779 Likes Received
    The small school issue should be almost irrelevant by a player's 2nd year.

The 1st year is usually more difficult for a small school players because they probably didn't have top quality coaching and they didn't experience top level competition; however, by their 2nd year they've spent a year with NFL coaches and have experienced practicing and playing against NFL players.
  10. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    It is nothing wrong with it. It is more if a risk due to the player facing a lower level of competition which makes them more if a gamble. That is the point, the safety position is filled with hopes and gambles.
  11. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,579 Messages
    5,494 Likes Received
    Welcome to the new line of thinking at VR.
    DCBoysfan likes this.
  12. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,465 Messages
    2,881 Likes Received
    My favorite line from Archer............the Cowboys are a cash cow that won 3 SBs, however the money keeps flowing but the SBs have stopped................LOL
    Air Force One likes this.
  13. Rockytop6

Rockytop6 Well-Known Member

2,072 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Made me smile. Good point. Hopefully, things will get better. I am really looking forward to this draft. Either my hopes will be well founded or our draft history will remain intact and I will go sit in a corner and suck my thumb.
    jobberone and Air Force One like this.
  14. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,839 Messages
    2,325 Likes Received

It is our specialty
    We have perfected this technique and have 17 years of failures to prove it
  15. Vanilla2

Vanilla2 Well-Known Member

1,604 Messages
    733 Likes Received
    Is it because you don't like the guys they want to see progress before they sign someone from the over the hill gang?
  16. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,953 Messages
    1,519 Likes Received
    I love a good chat....this one was a lot of what you would expect to hear, but nevertheless, a good chat
  17. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

6,106 Messages
    619 Likes Received
    I think the Cowboys were a 10-6 team last year, had it not been being decimated by injury at one position the final game wouldn't have mattered.

Think about this for a second-Ealges lose Kendricks, Cox and Logan for a large part of the season....you think they win the division last year? Now double that many players injured along the front seven and maybe you have the Cowboys.

Things aren't so bad, they just have to figure out a way to keep there front seven relatively healthy and not suffer catastrophic injuries at other spots.
  18. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

4,389 Messages
    1,785 Likes Received
    Sure. That was true for last year. But our D line at the moment fully healthy is probably worse than our injured D line was last year.

Jeremy Mincey-Henry Melton-Terrell McClain-George Selvie
  19. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,882 Messages
    4,454 Likes Received
    That's not what it will look like so try not to spin it that way please. Add Crawford and Bass to the mix and probably Spencer and it looks entirely different. Selvie, Crawford, Melton and Spencer at SDE doesn't so that bad. I realize Spencer is still not a done deal but I see that happening. And you haven't added one draftee, UDFA, or FA to the mix. Or Brent perhaps. I'm not jumping up and down with excitement but I'm not moaning and complaining either.
  20. TrailBlazer

TrailBlazer Well-Known Member

2,327 Messages
    824 Likes Received
    Doesn't matter what the dline looks like now. Dallas doesnt have to play a game this sunday. Wait till August to pass judgment. A lot can happen in the draft.

At least were not overpaying guys. It would be hard to be as bad along the DLine as Dallas was last year. I think our depth will be improved.