1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

ESPN: BCS playoff model taking shape

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by ABQCOWBOY, Jun 19, 2012.

1. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,194 Messages
    2,033 Likes Received
    BCS playoff model taking shape

Updated: June 19, 2012, 12:14 AM ET
    By Mark Schlabach | ESPN.com

Swofford said he hopes the commissioners will be able to present a four-team playoff to the BCS Presidential Oversight Committee in Washington, D.C., next week. The presidents' committee, which is chaired by Virginia Tech's Charles W. Steger and includes 12 university presidents, will ultimately decide where college football's postseason is headed.

This article, at least in my opinion, offers more detail on how it would actually work then any other piece i've read to date. No huge surprises in here but it does look as if it's moving forward. All good news.

To read the entire article, please click on this link:

http://espn.go.com/college-football...eves-colleagues-reach-four-team-playoff-model
  2. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,525 Messages
    2,396 Likes Received
    They'll never get it right without at least 8 teams.

They'll have the very same arguments with 4. With that few, even an undefeated team could possibly still get left out.
  3. ABQCOWBOY

35,194 Messages
    2,033 Likes Received
    I tend to agree but I think that this way, it at least sets a foundation for future expansion, should it need to expand to 8. This is a very solid first step and it is light year better then the BCS model IMO. At least you know that 4 of the top teams played their way in and that's always better IMO.
  4. MC KAos

MC KAos Well-Known Member

7,499 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    i agree it should be 8, but at least this gets the ball rolling and hopefully it will be a snowball effect going forward to at least a 10 team playoff with 2 bye week teams or something.
  5. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,942 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    Should have always been top 8...

Top 4 leaves too much room for poll rigging... but it's better than nothing...
  6. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,844 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    "Really, what have you seen on a proposed playoff format? I personally have seen nothing but would be interested in any info you have that might shed light on what is to be proposed?" - Abqcowboy, 6/15
  7. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,038 Messages
    2,272 Likes Received
    Agreed. It's gotten so bad that as a fan ill take what I can get.

Im tired of pretenders getting in the National Title game because they skimp through on a soft schedule.
  8. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    One day it needs to get to 8 or 16 teams, but this is a good start. Personally, I'm in favor of doing away with conference championship games and using the extra week to expand the field to 16 and have four rounds of games from early December through the normal bowl season.
  9. ABQCOWBOY

35,194 Messages
    2,033 Likes Received
    Sure thing.

According to the article:

• It's possible that something could be in place by EOW.
    • The 11 man commission and Swarbrick have agreed on a 4 team format as opposed to multiple options, which were on the table for presentation earlier.
    • The plan is to replace the existing BCS format as early as 2014.
    • The plan is leaning towards using the existing Bowls (Sugar, Fiesta, Rose and Orange) as semifinal playoff sites and rotating them, year to year.
    • The National Championship game would be bid on so that would mean that a site such as Jerry's World could potentially have a NCG.
    • The SEC wants an open rankings format where it would be possible for the 4 highest ranked teams to receive at large bids where as Swafford, the PAC 16, Big 10 and Big 12 commissioners favor a system in which the Conference Champs are given more preference.

At a glance, here is what I was able to take from the article.

You seem a bit on the edgy side on this subject. Maybe you should just steer clear of these articles. They seem to do nothing but irritate you.

Have a good day.
  10. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,525 Messages
    2,396 Likes Received
    Me too.
    This would especially work if there were a ton of 8-12 team conferences like in the past. But the conferences have grown so large now, many have to have a title game to determine a champ.
  11. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,844 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    Why would you say that? I'm not the one who, by his own admission, knew absolutely nothing about the subject until 4 days ago. I actually consider it a good thing that you're doing all you can to catch up to the knowledge that the rest of us already have. It dramatically increases the chances of you making an insightful observation, which would be a welcome change.
  12. ABQCOWBOY

35,194 Messages
    2,033 Likes Received
    Your story, you tell it. Just take care that you don't let this go too far. It is not in anybodies best interests.